1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why the Rockets are an Elite Defensive Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jbasket, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Crunchyball

Crunchyball Rookie

jocar stop troll in and go back to something productive like your wonderful photoshop fan images.

2. kastuul

kastuul Member

Beverley's D is not that good.

His D may get highlights, but can't sustain.

Bev. is not great in guarding shooters.

He gave Mav. 3 free throws in the last game.
    Elite defenders won't do that.

3. Classic

Classic Member

No Asik. I bet we would be several spots better with that cry baby.

4. jbasket

jbasket Member

In the original post, I discussed how Dmo's emergence off the bench has a two-pronged affect in improving defensive rebounding:
    1) The tjones/casspi lineup as bigs has been eradicated (which was a terrible rebounding lineup).
    2) He has improved his rebounding personally, so his presence next to tjones and casspi will improve effectiveness against o-rebs.

So yes, the Rockets should be improved in defensive rebounding. This is greatly evidenced by Dmo's career highs in rebounding recently.

Are you saying that he looks good on defence because everybody else is so bad?

The guy is a menace on defence, feisty, and great on the boards as well. He also instills a mindset. I am not sure of what you are watching.

Sure about that? Why don't you ask Ibaka when he gave up a 4 point play in the championship against Miami. One mistake doesn't eradicate overall elite defensive ability.

Where do you even get the statement that he can't guard shooters? One would think (and think correctly), that he would be exceptional at guarding shooters because he chases them full-court. Opposing PG's can feel Beverley's breath (not really, just a figure of speech).

Agreed. But we wouldn't want the court wet with his tears; might cause a rain delay.

#24 jbasket, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  5. Karolik

Karolik Member

Are you saying that he looks good on defence because everybody else is so bad?

The guy is a menace on defence, feisty, and great on the boards as well. He also instills a mindset. I am not sure of what you are watching.

Thats precisely what I'm saying.
    Energy is not equivalent to defense. When I think elite defense, I think first team all NBA such as Marc Gasol, Paul George, Tony Allen. Do they play super hyper like Beverley? No, but they are still elite defenders. If you seriously believe Beverley is at that level then maybe you should start watching.

6. Crunchyball

Crunchyball Rookie

I think Bev's D has had a positive effect on Lin, hopefully it will rub off on Harden also.

7. jbasket

jbasket Member

Assuming this is directed to me: how long did it take for those defenders to get the "elite" label on them? However, Beverley has that label from many respected media outlets in just his second campaign (with a first one an incomplete one). There is a reason for this. Both the eye test and metrics back up Beverley's defensive presence. Refer to Clutch's thread recently about why Beverley should be starting over Lin.

Also, as a defensive-minded college player myself, I can confirm that Beverley plays some dang good defence. Energy is a major part of defence. So is basketball IQ, and natural ability. He has all three (obviously can always improve the IQ though). He covers up mistakes of others on the perimeter, which is a job for interior defenders; rarely done by perimeter defenders.

8. Clarinetmonster

Still an honest question - I know the lineup metrics point to Bev being a good defender, and the eye test (since he came back from injury - early season not so much) - I still wonder why Defensive Impact stats have him rated so low while the rest of the starters plus Lin are rated higher??

9. Clarinetmonster

My only theory would be that he's preventing shot attempts, therefore the stats like blocks are lower and opponent FG% is higher but less of them?

10. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Beast of a poster, 35 per day

11. jbasket

jbasket Member

This stat elevates steals and blocks, which Beverley has been hurt for much of the season. It highlights shot blockers and interior defenders. Not many people take shots on Beverley: they often need a pick to try to get away from him. So when they do, it doesn't happen often and is usually a semi-open layup because of a breakdown in the defence previously. Small sample size and meaningless stat based on incorrect number crunching.

Harden gets steals, Jones + Howard block shots, Parsons/Lin not rated that highly. It is just not that good of a stat.

12. makio9

makio9 Member

I still stand by my opinion of Harden's beard has a negative impact on his defense because it clogs the pores and overheats his face. Also, just being covered in a face-coat will obviously keep you warmer; warmer makes you more lethargic. Is anybody else seeing my logic?

I'd love to shave that beard.

13. Grigori

Grigori Member

No doubt that is so. That's why we need him back.

14. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Howard will see less time in the playoffs, I guarantee you if Asik isn't back, the strategy will be flop in the paint until Dwight is in foul trouble. We HAVE to get a backup before the playoffs or we're screwed. Really hoping Asik can come back and play for this team. We could really use him out there and I still believe Asik and Dwight can play some minutes together.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The team defense is definitely getting better. It's very encouraging.

16. Grigori

Grigori Member

Beverley is an exceptional individual one-on-one defender. Once the offense throws in other players than the one he is guarding into the equation, he becomes mediocre at best.

The reason McHale relies so heavily on Beverley is that his little hack Sampson McHale relies on for defense doesn't know how to coach team defense. In such a case, superior one-on-one defense becomes a crutch for those two bumbling idiot coaches. At the end of the day, superior team defense is always going to be better than superior individual defense, because you are playing against team offense most of the time, not individual offense (unless, of course, you are playing against a team coached by Kevin "Basketball is Simple" McHale).

The Rockets has quite a few excellent individual defensive players to cover McHale and Sampson's incompetence, but with a real coach, the Rockets can be a much better defensive team.

In the mean time, the return of a versatile big like Asik who can defend as well individually as he does collectively will help McHale and Sampson cover their hapless asses a whole lot.

17. jbasket

jbasket Member

Well-played.

Usually most stars get more playing time in the playoffs to win. Yes, foul trouble would limit his minutes, but doesn't everybody have to worry about that? I would expect Dwight to play more like everybody other essential player.

Agreed.

Where do you get these "opinions"? I am not sure what you are watching, but it is the effort that is lacking, not the scheme. Scheme works when executed, but schemes cannot cover Harden's complete lack of effort, Parsons' drop in effort, and Tjones not having the greatest IQ on rotations. Beverley is sound on his rotations and PnR defence.

It would be nice if you could leave your disapproval of Mchale and Sampson out of the equation.

Yes, having Asik as a lockdown backup center would be valuable.

I think it is essential that you should know that we have been a top 10 defence in Defensive Rating even through the injuries and lack of effort.

18. bmd

bmd Member

I think it has more to do with his teeth. Because his teeth are crooked, he is self-conscious about opening up his mouth too much.

So because he doesn't breathe through his mouth much, he can't catch his breath as well and so he can't put the effort he needs to on defense.

The only logical solution to Harden improving his defense is for him to get braces.

19. Grigori

Grigori Member

Definitely not from the same place as where you get your "opinions." The schemes may theoretically work, but they work like crap in practice. I watch 2Pat "fail" at defense in this scheme and earn a "mediocre" defensive reputation. But guess what? The dude is a smart guy. It wasn't a lack of basketball IQ or effort. Now he's playing real defense for a real coach who knows how to run an effective team defense, and he looks great. A coach who can actually coach defense can hide Kyle Korver on defense. I see enough defensive talent on this team to give us a top 3 defense. Instead we have to settle for much worse because of McHale and Sampson. Beverley is also not sound on his rotations and PnR defense. He's an idiot.

It would be nice if you could leave your blind approval of McHale and Sampson out of the equation, but we both know that you can't.

20. eslate22

eslate22 Member

so he can look like this?http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...Gp9bND2Q1tbRmbN30WqVXY6g&ust=1391726525446582