1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why the Lawson Experiment Failed and What Kind of Player We Need Next to Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by seeingred, Apr 6, 2016.

1. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

harden makes it easy to build your backcourt, and he is a good enough passer and decision maker to get away with him being the point guard. but using him there means we need to have a really good backup PG who can change the pace, run the offense and play some serious D.

harden needs (next to him in the backcourt): the best available player, PG or SG that can SHOOT the rock from downtown.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously the problem was not Harden. The problem was Lawson. He was in decline in Denver and it's just continued.

He's not the same player he was. And he's showing in Indiana that he is nothing more than a scrub off the bench.

3. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

If you're using Michael Jordan as a comparison to Harden to insinuate that we don't need a good defensive PG and only a good 3 pt shooter, you're mistaken. MJ was one of the greatest defensive players ever, as were Pippen and Rodman. Harden...well I think we know that story.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Seems to me like Beverley is pretty much the perfect guy to have

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Kinda ironic, but true.

6. Sanity2disChaos

But but but ......he can't shoot and he is a ball dominant guard. Point blank you take a chance on Lawson but not rondo:rolleyes:

7. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

I think you mean Ron Harper. Derek never played for the Bulls, but your point remains valid. Ron was a great scorer before he got to Chicago, but when he signed on the season Jordan was out playing baseball, he turned into an above average defender as well.

8. basketballholic

Hey......rox4lyf beat me to it Dada. What is going on with you anyways? Pippen/Jordan probably the top 1 and 2 perimeter defenders of all-time. And Yeah, they had a spot-up shooting 1 that wasn't a great defender....because they didn't need a great defender at the 1. They had ace defenders at 2 and 3.

Not only that but their offensive point was Pippen and later on it became Kukoc. They had a primary passer/defender playing next to Jordan in Pippen, whose job was not to score but to facilitate the offense and D up.

Sorry. The problem was here before Lawson got here. What we found out was Lawson wasn't the answer to the already existing problem of Harden's one-dimensional offensive play.

What we need at the 1 are these attributes:

1. Ace defender
    2. an offensive point that can run the offense and move Harden off the ball.

You got Harden and Ariza as your two perimeter shooters among the starters. We spot up Bev simply because Bev can't make plays. But Harden is by far the superior spot up shooter and creater on the dribble if the D runs hard at him. We need Harden in that role, where he can be spoon-fed the basketball and average about 34 a game while cutting down his turnovers drastically.

And we need a true point guard that can facilitate both Harden and our big men, whom Harden CANNOT find at an efficient enough rate, but instead Harden relies on throw-outs to our perimeter spot up guys that aren't that great of shooters...while the opponent knows exactly what is coming at them every play.

9. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I say the best type of player next to Harden would be a combo guard. He needs to be able to bring the ball up the court against pressure, but he needs to have to skills to play off the ball when the offense goes through Harden.

10. seeingred

seeingred Member

i Like this point. You don't need as many play makers in a motion offense because guys like chuck freakin hayes can rack up 6 assists on any given night just passing to the open man. All the scrambling has the effect of taking a set defense, turning it into a jumble and, at one part of the court, a mini-fast break.

i don't think we'll ever see a motion offense so we need guys who can take on a set half-court defense and get buckets. Beasley and Harden can do it now. DMo had a several month long stretch where he was that guy last year. How many of them do we need? i personally don't think it matter what position they play.

One thing is abundantly clear - we need guys who can hit an open 3. Harrison Barnes and Bradley Beal might be our "SPLASH" when we strike out with the other big names.