1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why the Hell does Oprah get a Presidential Medal of Freedom??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocketman1981, Nov 20, 2013.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Keep in mind that the Innocence project focuses on major crimes so finding 70% of 242 people they investigated innocent is a pretty astounding figure. When you consider the standards for prosecutions are often not as strict for lesser crimes I have no doubt that there are probably thousands of people who have been incarcerated who are actually innocent.

The US prison population as of 2010 is 2.3 mil. If just .1% of those people have been wrongly convicted that is already 2,300.

2. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

It has been provided, you have chosen to ignore it.

3. Dei

Dei Member

I have no problem that a black man is in the White House. I'm not racist in that way. However, I do think his blackness is what got him elected.

Idk about the "dismissing his blackness" thing.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Are you advocating that we should just release everyone to ensure we do not wrongfully convict people?
    Should Casey Anthony be in prison?
    Should George Zimmerman be in prison?
    Should OJ Simpson been in prison?

Our justice system works pretty well. If you keep your nose clean, its not hard to stay out of trouble.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure where you are getting that from.
    My personal opinion is they probably should but again those examples just illustrate the problems with our system.
    Anything built and run by humans there will always be some level of mistake made that said the amount of wrongful convictions and particularly who is wrongfully convicted should make people pause. If you've followed this particularly discussion this isn't saying we should do away with the justice system but recognize that bias including race do play a role in it.