1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why the hell do we have Sam Dekker?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Chuck Norris, Dec 8, 2015.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

With what's going on in the country you play race card? Be more responsible with your words and behavior, don't inflame the ignorance and hate.

2. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Here we go again....Dekker HAS a Quality shot, so its not a jack knife jumper,( and he's got game...for it is what it is.....

3. dwhite

dwhite Member

Last night was disgusting. It was a wake up call for me. I went in all excited about GP2, KJ, Harrell, Onaku, etc. and came out convinced that none of those players should see even a minute of real NBA action. They may be average NBDL players, but that is their ceiling. Really scares me for the future of our team. Amazing that Morey could have had Speights for the league minimum and went with Nene or that he could have had that Felder with the 57th pick and went with Payton who can't shoot. Just a poorly run organization the past 5 years and it continues.....

4. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Oh wow...thats good !

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

OMG! OMG! Our summer league team looked sloppy in its first game! They lost by five points! OMG!

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
    <BR>

Mathloom likes this.
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Morey lives a double life. Drafting crappy players while we need a veteran player. He builds this team half way rebuild and half way contending. Can't commit at all.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Please don't give Bill any ideas! :eek:

8. mightybosstone

After two Summer League games, I think Dekker is making a strong case for getting a rotation spot early next season. Even with his shot being off tonight, he just completely took over the game in the fourth quarter. He has a couple of big dunks and some really nice moves in transition. He looks extremely comfortably attacking the basket, and he did a nice job on the glass and just being active on the floor tonight.

Obviously it's easy to overreact watching Summer League. But as bad as McDaniels looked and as bad as we all know that Brewer is, I see no reason why this guy shouldn't at least be considered as the backup 3 behind Ariza. What do they have to lose? Worst case scenario, Brewer gets those minutes, and we all know how that's going to play out.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Start Dekker at the 4!

10. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Way too weak.

11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Another solid game from Sam.

12. Mr. Clutch

Weaker than Ryan Anderson and DMo?

13. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Yes he is.

D-Mo? He is actually a pretty strong dude. Physical and you can tell he hits the weights.

Dekker looks the exact same since college. He will get pushed around once he leaves D-League.... (a place he couldn't get past any defender)

All Im saying is calm down with the summer league love. We have seen many players score 30 a night (Jeremy Lamb) and basically turn into pure scrub. Summer League has the weakest competition.

If Sam Dekker is getting consistent minutes on your team this year, just know we are in the LOTTERY & not the 14th pick.

14. mightybosstone

But look at the alternatives the Rockets have at the backup 3 right now. Do you feel confident enough about Brewer that he's a better option to play that role than Dekker right now? Because I don't. Brewer was just a flat out minus on the floor last season, and his strength (transition offense) is something that Dekker might actually better at than he is. Plus, Dekker at least has the potential to develop a 3-point shot. That ship sailed for Brewer a long time ago. And Dekker can feasibly play some small ball 4 in the right lineups.

I'm not saying the guy should be starting or even getting significant minutes. But for the 10-15 minutes a game they need a backup at the 3 spot, why not give Dekker those minutes instead of Brewer, who we know is going to suck?

1 person likes this.
  15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

We've also seen guys fighting in the summer league in recent years landing big contracts: Bazemore, Crabbe, Tyler Johnson, Jeremy Lin.

16. Mr. Clutch

I can tell DMo hits the weights from his Instagram

17. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Good post. I get what you're saying on that level as well.

I feel someone like Dekker who spent half the year injured and basically no playing time is still somewhat of a rookie. He has to develop a lot more.

Brewer was never a 3 point shooter. Rockets system makes him one. Just use him where he can succeed. He had a down year but I still trust him over Dekker.

Brewer had 2 seasons where he shot almost 50% from the field. The rest has been low 40s. If he is on the team, D'"Antoni should be able to find places for him.

I'll be shocked if Dekker shoots over 32% from Threes. He has a horrible shot. He needs to just do what he is good at, drive the ball in and develop better dribble / passing.

18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Plus he hits up Cle on Sundays bro brooooo. Bikini galore.

I think Dekker is still hanging out at Roxy. ;)

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Our boy Sam Dekker has been straight MOWING over this D-league competition!

[​IMG]

Seriously though I am impressed he is playing this well less then a year removed from back surgery. I don't expect him to crack the rotation until late this season or next year, this really is only his rookie season. Glad he is showing potential this early though, hopefully his strong summer league performance will shut up idiots who keep calling him a bust for no reason until he ready to contribute and is given a fair shot to crack the rotation.

20. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

I have some questions about this team...

Do the Rockets have anybody to back up Ariza?
    Is Beasley a 3 or 4 in Dantoni's system?
    Does Motiejunas play back up center over Capela?
    Can you even play Capela in the playoffs if they make it? (free throw issues)
    Who is Morey gonna sign for more PG depth?