1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why T-mac taking all these long-ranged difficult shots?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by liu1107, Dec 5, 2005.

1. liu1107

liu1107 Contributing Member

:cool: hi, this is my 1st post. i Just wonder why T-mac are taking all these long-ranged diffcult shots. why dont he play agressive and attack the basket to get better shooting percentage, like the way Dwane Wade or Corey Maggette play. Maybe he thinks he is too skilled and doesnt want to do the dirty work? Nobody really gets to the free throw line except Yaoming on this team, the guards are the ones that need to dive into the lane and get fouled, not center himself. i think T-mac should step up and show oppenents some respect by doing some dirty work. As everyone knows, Step on freethrow line is the only way to score soem points when everyone's hands are cold. We just cant go too far if he plays like this.
    kinda disappointing to see him shooting under 30% every game :(
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: .
    Hee hee.

2. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

OK, I'm going out on a limb here, because I know he's gonna be flamed, but I do think he has some valid points. T-Mac needs to take it to the hole more, as well as everybody else. Don't get me wrong, he's my favorite player and the first one I'd take on my team, but he should realize that he will get the calls if he penetrates.

3. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

because he's seriously injured right now

4. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

He's trigger happy from the arc.

in 00-01 he took over 10 shots inside line for every 3pter he attempted.

that statistic last year?

Less that 4 shots inside the arc for every 3pter attempted.

5. liu1107

Ok. the guy's back is a little sore. and apparently, says by himself, "getting much better", if you call that seriously injured , then i am being seriously injured just about everyday. Someone call 911 for me plz :confused:

6. droxford

droxford Member

He takes the outside shot because the Rockets need to establish an outside offensive threat.

Defenses are clogging the lane, making it difficult to get the ball to Yao, difficult to do the pick-and-roll from the top, and difficult to drive into the lane and attack the basket.

We need to establish a perimeter threat with our gaurds to spread the defense, and then we can successfully use our inside-out strategy.

(does it sound like I'm repeating myself?)

7. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

He has attempted over 400 3pters each of the last 3 seasons.

Drexler only attempted 400+ 3s once his entire career. Wilkins attempted more than 300 once, and Jordan never even took that many. Bryant had a career high in 3pt shots last year, still didnt reach the 400 mark.

In this day and age of basketball, where rules favor guards that can attack the basket, Tracy needs to step up. He can blow by any man that guards him, and if they try to slow him down, the whistles will sound.

8. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

WTF. Little sore? How do u know he feels just a little sore. He's seriously injured and how many games has he played since he recovered from the injury. He's not superman and he needs time. So who are u? Comparing yourself to top athlete of the world? Yeah someone should call 911 for u.... not for physical injury but mental illness. :rolleyes:

9. liu1107

he needs to penetrate to draw double team and creates oppurtunities for the role players to shoot high % threes. Himself dribbles the ball all the way from the backcourt and shoots a 3, does not create a outside threat. Look at Miami last year, wade didnt take too many outside shots and still dunks the ball A LOT, although Shaq is attacting defense inside and clog it up. so they have no conflict. :D :D

10. droxford

droxford Member

That works if our guards sink outside shots (which they aren't).

So, what defenses are doing is crowding around Yao and the paint, preventing Yao from getting the ball and preventing T-Mac and the power-forwards from driving it in.

This is evident in the way that Swift has only gotten a dunk or two each game - he's been forced to shoot from the outside (which he can't do, because he has no range). Juwan has been more affective because he has better range than Swift.

More evidence: we've struggled on rebounding. This is because the defense already has a bunch of people in the lane waiting to get rebounds.

Forcing it in is not the answer right now. Yao has established himself as a danger in the paint. We need to establish a danger from the perimieter.

I am not repeating myself.

11. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

if tmac does not play through the pain

*snaps pencil in half*

he will be sorry.

12. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

I think Bill Walton was making the same comment about Tmac taking those tough shots, if that holds any weight.

13. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Hmm, maybe his history of back problems has something to do with it? The fact that a hard hit could aggrevate his back has probably been in the back of his mind for years now.

Now is the absolute dumbest time to complain about Tmac not going to the basket. We have all seen how bad this team is without him, and now everyone wants to complain about his attempts to preserve his body and health?

I could understand if this complaint came last year, when he seemed to be over the back problem, but now it is quite clear that it is still an issue. You could argue that if a player is a true warrior he would go to the basket without regard for his own safety, but with Tmac being as fragile as he is, that would be a sure recipe for a lottery pick.

His self-preserving tendencies won us 51 games last year. He got us to a decent seed for the playoffs. He played balls-out in the playoffs and almost carried us to victory, and that included attacking the rim.

Right now, our team is a hard foul away from the lottery.

14. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

I really cant believe u so call fans questioning T-mac effort and heart. He is our scorer, play maker, rebounder and defender. He's asked to be a superman in our team. He trained too hard in the summer. He came back too early from the injuries. And now u r questioning his drive as a player? Of course I hope he would drive to the basket more if possible. But I dont know about u I got nervous every time he drove hard to the basket and came down hard. If he re-injures himself now, we are running for #1 draft pick next year. I understand if these complaints are from so call experts or fans of other teams, but from the rocket fans? What a joke. :rolleyes:

15. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

There's no excuse for him not to dirve. He doesn't have to go all the way, maybe kick out. He's a 100X better when he's driving rather than just jacking up shots. I know he's injured and all, but he can still get by his defender without going through too much pain i'm sure. He doesn't have to just dunk on somebody, maybe a tear drop, off the glass, it shouldn't be this hard. urghH!!!! this is a mad rockets fan :mad:

16. H-town_playa2k2

Sorry man, but please stop with the crying(HE HAS NO HEART!!!!!!)

17. liu1107

im on your side, brother :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :)

18. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I've had a pinched nerve in my back and let me tell you, it's no freaking picknick. it's like someone is stabbing you with a hige butcher knife right in you're back. just thinking how tracy manages to endure all the physical punishments with that back is amazing.

BTW, dont you love arm chair critics who have no clue about anything?. we can sit infron of a TV set and nit pick all we like, but to question T-MAC's heart, is beyond stupid. i like to see you play through a injury of that kind. :rolleyes:

19. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

We know this because that is what he said. If he's lying about the severity of his injury and trying to jeapordize his career in the first 20 games of the season then thats another thing. However I highly doubt he is doing this.

Secondly, you cannot deny the fact that TMac overshoots the 3 point shot. Defenses realize this and they start to collapse on him at the arc. Why do you think in the SA game on TNT he was taking ridiculous 3 point shots over defenders. Sure he'll make some but in the long run itll make his field goal percentage drop quicker than Bush's approval rating. That's why his FG % won't ever be as high as kobe, jordan or any of the other great swingmen to play the game. Don't get me wrong TMac is one of the top 5 most talented ball players in the world right now but he's just not aggressive enough. Anyone ever notice that Kobe, DWade all work 10 times harder for their shots? They split defenses, draw the contact, and are alot more relentless around the basket. Tmac's scoring looks so much more effortless and alot of times it is because of the amount jumpshots he takes. Maybe it is because he's afraid for his back but this has been a consistent statistic throughout his career even when he wasn't plagued with back injuries. Tmac has to penetrate more to bring this team back to life and thats the bottom line.

20. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Maybe he just can't get around the defender in his current state. If you watched the memphis game, he was clearly not moving well, on both offense in defense. He had a pretty good defender guarding him as well.