1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why so much hate/blame placed on Lin? I think he's been playin well...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jisangNY1, Nov 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jisangNY1

jisangNY1 Member

Honestly, I haven't posted on this forum in years...but I don't get all this hate directed at Lin this year?

He's been playing pretty well from looking at the stats and what I've been reading on various sports websites, so...why the hate? I don't get it, tbh...

I see various news articles praising Lin's improved play this year, but all I see is negativity towards him by his own teams fan's and some people outside of Houston as well. He seems to be the 'whipping boy' of sorts for all of Houston's problems.

The thing is...two of the biggest culprits in the Rockets recent poor play seem to be James Harden and Dwight Howard: one cannot shoot free throws to save his life, and the other holds on to the ball too long, resulting in poor ball movement for the Rockets.

How can two point guards playing pretty well, in Lin and Beverly, be the reason for the Rockets poor play of late? I don't understand. They seem to be an excellent combination of defense and offense, in my opinion. I would love to see a pair like them, playing for my hometown Knicks, for instance.

Lin attracts so many haters--whether it be on ESPN boards, racist Facebook posts or hateful comments towards him on the Internet. It seems like race is a big reason why, in my book.

Some people just don't seem to respect and like Asian men in the United States, which is one reason I left the U.S. for Asia last year...You definitely get a different perspective being an Asian American on the other side of the world, that's for sure...

2. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Member

Personally, its because people like you keep making threads like this!

1 person likes this.
  3. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

sigh.

please stop.

4. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

You shouldn't have made this thread :(

Now you're gonna get Spiegal screaming ex YOF / LOF all over your head... :rolleyes:

5. FearTheBeardJH

He is 3rd most paid player on the team.

6. jisangNY1

jisangNY1 Member

I saw the same sorts of stuff when Yao first broke into the league. I saw the same hateful comments and race-related stuff--even on this forum, and all over the Internet.

It was the same when Ichiro first came to the United States, to play for the Mariners. I don't think Westerners respect Asian men that much, to be honest.

7. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

or maybe you're not respected because of you're lack of judgment when doing something as inconsequential as posting a thread on a message board forum.

8. FearTheBeardJH

What are you talking about, bro? Lin is mediocre overhyped player. Nothing to see here.

9. jisangNY1

jisangNY1 Member

He can say whatever he wants...I don't care. I've been on Clutchfans since the Yao Ming days. I saw the same kind of tension here, when Yao played for the Rockets. I think people have forgotten that, since most people on the forum these days are newbies...

10. jms99

jms99 Member

When things are going wrong, someone has to get blamed. That's what happens. Everywhere in the world. Someone becomes the target. I think Jeremy is a great target. Because he gets paid a lot and you can assume that he should have a lot of responsibility. And he's one of the least experienced players.

If I'm angry at my boss or the rockstar programmer who is my coworker, you can bet my anger is going the opposite direction.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

The problem is people r over sensitive to the massive Asian following. The massive following puta those players near super star status without having to play as one. They are annoyed at those fans. Asians aren't know to be in sports, the culture is dominated by academics and since Asians tend not to be extremely outspoken. The rest of the whole doesn't know how to handle it, when Asian fans finally get passionate.

Now don't get me wrong it that it is only about Asian fans. The white people did this to the blacks when they first entered into sports. In baseball the black community unites around the black players. Same thing with basketball.

A large problem now is Asians are new to the scene but he population as a whole hasn't gotten past it's bigotry considering this has happened some many times before.

In America where we have such freedoms, the population goes back to what it knows best. Crucify what you don't understand only few people are truly opened minded.

13. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Who's been critical of Lin of late??? Just look at the guy's numbers this year, for goodness sake! Last game was his worst and it wasn't exactly bad with 7 assists and 3/7 shooting. Lately much of the whining has been about Harden, Howard and TT: um, get with the program.

14. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Member

Hahaha Classic!!!

15. jisangNY1

jisangNY1 Member

Very true! I now live in various parts of Asia, teaching English here. It's kind of eye opening to see the kind of 'crucification' Lin is facing.

Like I mentioned before, I saw the same thing with Hideo Nomo, Ichiro, Yao Ming, Park Ji-Sung and various other Asian athletes.

I'm in my mid-thirties, having lived in the U.S. for almost 30 years, so there's a reason why I'm sensitive to that sort of thing; being called a 'chink' or 'jap' to my face by both racist Whites and Blacks, has made me that way, growing up.

It's interesting to me now...that I live in another part-of-the-world, I'm kinda surprised at the reaction against Lin, since I think he's having a good season.

16. jms99

jms99 Member

You're a racist.

no, you're just a racist.

Why would you think that yao would even be drafted 1st in the league. He had believers and he had non-believers. It had nothing to do with race in most instances. History tells you that 7'5" guys don't become the best players.

Everyone has haters and it's not because of race. Ichiro was relatively small. There was a definite reason that his game possibly might not have translated into the MLB. People said the exact same thing about Dustin Pedroia.

Lin wasn't this good when he was drafted. And I think he enjoys being overlooked. A lot of people who feel they are stereotyped enjoy it. I'm sure Dustin enjoyed it.

17. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Park was a fan favourite with a significant number of the United supporters. A lot of non-Asia folks like Yao Ming as well (he is enormously popular in Houston actually). And I wouldn't really call Jeremy Lin without supporters outside his race.... just that the Houston Rockets have their fair share of really dumb, delusional fans (whenever these fans criticize the Lakers or Knicks fans, I always roll my eyes and say inside my head: look at yourselves first.... pffffft). Many of these dumb, delusional fans hang out here on Clutchfans and have very loud voices.

At the end of the day, just remember... Jeremy Lin is a capable basketball player, he has gone through a lot of crap in his life to get to where he is, and he has all the characteristics to succeed in whatever he wants to do. The opinions of some silly fans will have no impact on him.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the prevalent china bashing in the D&D and asian penis jokes in the hangout actually seem to be on par with the lin hate in the GARM. but maybe there just aren't as many asian posters in those forums to vocalize large opposition like in here

19. jisangNY1

jisangNY1 Member

The fact that Jeremy Lin is only a "sixth man" and playing pretty well in that role, how is everything his fault? Again, I have difficulty understanding...

I think point guard is the least of the Rockets problems...with Beverly and Lin a pretty good pg combination. I think the bigger problem for the Rockets is the coaching, the lackluster play of Chandler Parsons, and the supposed 'superstar' in James Harden and Dwight Howard. Those are the bigger worries, as an outside observer...

20. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

I agree with you at the end of the day he is a capable player. I think rationally most fans will feel that way. Regarding Yao and other players, they are largely popular out side of their race but in their early years there was a lot of hate. With anything new things get hard with negatives, due to their irrational fans or ideas. Just for example the tea party or the idea that the world was round. It takes courageous ppl to go against the grain and suffer through the fire. I also agree with you that it is up to the individual at the end of the day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.