1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Why So Difficult to Find the Right Players Around Yao ???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Mar 18, 2006.

1. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

A very sentimental and nostalgic article from Yang Yi reviewing Yao Ming's past 4 seasons

But WHY it is sooooooooooo fr@akingly difficult for Carroll Dawson and Jeff Van Gundy to find the RIGHT pieces of jigsaw around Yao Ming ???

Is he that difficult a player to play together with ??

2. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

It's the nature of the business. Kevin Garnett had 38 different teammates in his first 5 seasons and Kobe has had 30 different teammates counting from his last his last season with Shaq until now (less than 3 seasons).

The "53 teammates" for Yao in the article is a bogus number IMHO. Yao is no different than any other star caliber player.

NBA teams are continuously being tinkered with to improve them. And there will always be the "one hit wonders" like Juaquin Hawkins and the vets making a last attempt (Spree with KG, Vlade with Kobe) adding to the total number.

Since Yao joined the Rockets:

1 Adrian Griffin
    2 Alton Ford
    3 Andre Barrett
    4 Bob Sura
    5 Bostjan Nachbar
    6 Brandin Knight
    7 Charles Oakley
    8 Charlie Ward
    9 Chuck Hayes
    10 Clarence Weatherspoon
    11 Cuttino Mobley
    12 David Wesley
    13 Dikembe Mutombo
    14 Eddie Griffin
    15 Eric Piatkowski
    16 Glen Rice
    17 James Posey
    18 Jason Collier
    19 Jim Jackson
    20 Jon Barry
    21 Juaquin Hawkins
    22 Juwan Howard
    23 Keith Bogans
    24 Kelvin Cato
    25 Kenny Thomas
    26 Luther Head
    27 Maciej Lampe
    28 Mark Jackson
    29 Maurice Taylor
    30 Mike James
    31 Mike Wilks
    32 Moochie Norris
    33 Rafer Alston
    34 Reece Gaines
    35 Rick Brunson
    36 Rod Strickland
    37 Ryan Bowen
    38 Scott Padgett
    39 Steve Francis
    40 Stromile Swift
    41 Terence Morris
    42 Tito Maddox
    43 Torraye Braggs
    44 Tracy Mcgrady
    45 Tyronn Lue
    46 Vin Baker

Note: The "53" number must include 10 day contracts such as JL3 and Steve Graham. Don't have time or inclination to pursue this set of shooting stars since I can't find them for KG or Kobe.

3. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

The rockets need new GM. Plain and simple.

4. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

Not too difficult.... here, we got all already!
    Can we win a few rings with these?

1 Bob Sura
    2 Chuck Hayes
    3 Cuttino Mobley
    4 David Wesley
    5 James Posey
    6 Kenny Thomas
    7 Mike James
    8 Tracy Mcgrady
    9 Steve Francis
    10 Stromile Swift
    11 Kelvin Cato
    12 Dikembe Mutombo
    13 Rafer Alston
    14 Luther Head
    and Yao

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

it's not hard to find the right pieces to fit with yao. it's hard to aquire them with no tradable assets and no money to spend.

6. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

I don't think it's Yao that is a problem to play with... it's our coach.

7. rvpals

rvpals Member

I think Yao is a extremely good team mate so it won't be too hard to find another guy to help Yao out. The most basic requirement is the ability to knock down open jumper. Even Steve Kerr looks extremely good for the Rockets right now. :(

8. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

It isn't hard to find good teammates for Yao. Tracy (if healthy) was about the best pickup the Rockets could have possibly made. But since then, CD & JVG have done a terrible job.

9. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Eddie the shooter.

#9 michecon, Mar 18, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  10. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Rox turnover has probably been higher than the average NBA team because we keep bringing in stop gap scrubs that don't remain on the team for very long. Ideally we want to assemble a group of talented players in their 20s that have a chance of playing with Yao and T-Mac for a number of years but like someone said we have no tradeable assets or money.

11. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

No disrespect to JVG & CD, but the T-Mac trade could not be credited to them, he practically fell into their laps, they had very little real work to do to make the trade a reality.

It's like being offered a Kobe Bryant in his prime and having to think about it...not!

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

it's because, as cliche and overused as it sounds, shooting is a lost art. To have an effective inside-outside game, you not only need a commanding presence in the paint but also efficient shooters around the perimeter. Hakeem had a handful of great shooters. Shaq had the Derek Fishers, the Rick Foxes, the Robert Horrys. Even Duncan has good shooters around him right now.

Maybe shooting is not a lost art and that we just basically have sorryass players, but that's why it may look as if it's hard to have players that complement Yao. You put guys around him that can knock down the open J, it'll be much easier.

13. code9x

code9x Contributing Member

Jeff Van Gundy sucks....he makes the players nervous about shooting.....and playing basketball. When basketball is not easy and not fun and you get yelled and benched for missing a shot or mess up a play accidently.....you can't play to your best. The simplest things and mistakes can become a difficult task.

Thanks Mr. Grumpy. you suck at motivating.

Just look at the Suns......even players that weren't considered good back then are thrivinig there and shooting the lights out.....Mike D'Antoni wants his players to keep shooting, if they miss, keep shooting anyways and it builds their confidence and swagger.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is SOOOOO true on many levels......but not on all levels, doesn't seem to effect the Spurs, or the Mavs, and their coaches are similar personalities.

But, I think it really effects young players...they have to have a confidence in their abilities, look how long it has taken Yao to figure it out....

We need some young guys with attitude like the way Sam Cassell was his rookie year.

DD

15. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Do you know he had very little work to do? I want you to tell me how you know this for a fact. Because from what I remember that was one of the more difficult trades the Rockets ever had to finalize. Phoneix was getting Mcgrady, then it was Bird and Walsh with the upperhand after a visit to Orlando, then CD flew down to Orlando do nothing I suppose. I'm just trying to figure out the nothing CD was doing when the trade was on then off then on again before finally getting finalized..

#15 Texas Stoke, Mar 18, 2006
  16. declan32001

declan32001 Member

That's how I remember it too. When Bird came out and said "I really think our deal is a better one than the Rockets" I cringed because I agreed with him.

Back to topic. I don't think management has ever specifically focused on bringing in anyone to maximize Yao's play. Arguably Rafer, but I think it was an absolute necessity to lessen T-Mac's ball handling responsibilities. Even with Sura and Wesley on the court T-Mac still had to bring the ball upcourt far too often.

17. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Tmac wants to play with Yao. End of the story.

Now, where did all of our first round picks go last couple of years?

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

If you can't ever get a house built you bring in a new contractor/builder and "git er done."

19. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

For the first time in 4 seasons, Yao has finally regularly stepped up and said that he will be the superstar of the team and the focus of the offense. That was two to three weeks ago. It's hard to tinker with a team when one of the "star" players isn't stepping up and showing what he can do night in and night out. Finally the Rockets know what they have in him, and now they can start to surround him with "pieces." Before they had to guess.

20. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Right. Yao has finally taken on the role as the leader of the team, for what, all of 3 weeks now, and here we are saying, 'well ok, Yao is ready now after 3 or 4 years, so why isn't the rest of the team ready with him?' Now that he's ready, lets see what happens from this point on. I look at it like this. All the Rockets roster turnover since Yao has been here has benefited Yao and has allowed him to be where he is right now. Most of it was done for him. We have players right now who are not great talents so they get Yao the damn ball like everyone has always wanted and now Yao is learning, no, has learned how to be the main man, the head honcho. If we had better talent on the court with Yao, I don't think Yao would be taking this great leap forward the way he is now. So I see it as a good thing. And now that it's happened, it won't go away, he won't regress to his old unassertive passive self, no matter how great the talent is around him from here on forward. So instead of 'saying oh no, Yao is ready, where is the help, his rocket-to-the-top play is going to waste" be patience and look at the whole process and watch with a long-term perspective in mind. All of this is working out perfectly from where I sit.

#20 Texas Stoke, Mar 18, 2006