1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Restricting Guns & Magazines in NOT the Answer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Svpernaut, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DconsfGsXyA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The future is here, whether you like it or not. Defense Distributed has produced a printed AR-15 lower that has lasted 600 rounds. If they've gotten 20 times more in a few months, just think where they will be in a few years. Remember, the lower receiver is the only part that is traceable in "legal" semi-automatic rifles.

Gun control in the future is a figment of your imagination.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

BS. There have been crappy plastic lowers for decades.

[​IMG]

3D printing isn't changing anything. It would require less skill and be less expensive to buy and complete an 80% lower. These "breakthroughs" we achieved 30 years ago.

3. Svpernaut

Injection molding is a completely different beast than simply printing a lower in a few hours from your kitchen table. I know, I've tried prototyping in the past with injection molding. How do you get the original mold? You have to carve it by hand which is a craft skill, and far from perfect and extremely cost and time consuming. Even if you use 3D printers to create your molds for injection molding you are shaving hundreds of hours, if not thousands in during the R&D process.

Also, "polymer lowers" do not generally have plastic or polymer mechanics inside. The beauty of the AR-15 platform is that the firing mechanisms are so simple, they will eventually be 3D printable in their entirety... if not with plastic, it will probably be nylon or carbon fiber, both of which will be low cost alternatives to ABS/PLA plastic.

My 3D printer when it arrives will have heads to print in both ABS and PLA, and in the near future 3D printers will have swappable heads for countless materials and/or multiple heads on it like the old school CAD Pen Plotters.

I need to point out, that the trigger wasn't broken, it was purposefully cut to fit into the assembly due to a miscalculation in their (Defense Distributed) proportions. It wasn't broken during use. They'll have a video up soon I'm sure. More info here.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

One reply to this says there's 350 million guns in circulation and this reply is concerned about kids printing their own toy gun. I assume if they have access to bullets then there's a real gun nearby.

(not directed to you) There's no doubt 350 million guns out there is a tide of epic proportions, but that number keeps growing every year and a defeatist attitude won't slow that rate down.

I believe there are various ways to change an already existing firearm to modify its fingerprint. Printing your own "untraceable" murder weapon is one of the uses I was concerned about, but I assume if you have to get rid of it, it'd be similar in difficulty of disposing the real one. If a guy's smart enough to know which acids to dissolve the stupid thing, he'd probably figure out a way to disassemble a real gun and stash it piece by piece.

This problem of tracability really started with the dawn of the internet.

5. Svpernaut

You have to think on the grander scale when it comes to traceability. There is a reason we register new hand guns, rifles and shotguns - because the FBI and ATF keep track of all of those purchases. Even if those guns change hands 20 times, that initial inception trace is there. That is where the gun shows up "on the grid," and most of the the time retracing its steps can be performed in one way or another.

However, 3D printed guns aren't going to have that initial blip on the grid. People will not know how long a 3D printed gun has been around or even in use. Add that on to the fact that just printing the tracked "components" of weapons like an AR-15 lower which must be legally purchased and tracked via an FFL and you have a powder keg. Print an AR-15 lower and purchase all over the other machined and "legit" components legally and you still have an untraceable firearm.

Look at it from this perspective. Drug cartels have hundreds of millions of dollars to throw at technologies like this. They've built their own cell phone networks and real-working submarines for Pete's sake, so I have no doubt that they'll have some wizkids working for them printing untraceable weapons or components at some point in the near future. You know other large organized crime syndicates will also follow.

So what is the answer? There isn't a single answer, but one thing is certain. Guns simply aren't going anywhere... the technology is going to make sure of that. So don't waste time and capital investing in a failed tactic that are simply "feel good measures." Re-shift focus to measures that can actually make a difference.

In my opinion, the answers to cutting down the vast majority of gun violence is simple even though the dangerous technology will remain.

1. End the war on drugs. Decriminalize and treat rather than incarcerate and punish. The vast majority of gun violence is drug related. Make the drug trade obsolete, and the violence that follows all of the money will disappear.
    2. Revolutionize our education system. Start training kids in specialties long before they get to high school, teaching them valuable real-world crafts and skills. Poverty is a huge driver of violent crimes (and the crime statistics back this up completely), and today's technology can and needs to revolutionize how our kids learn.
    3. Make mental health a primary topic for discussion and research across the board.
    4. Crack down on America's fascination with pharmaceutical drugs. With a CVS on every corner, lazy parents tend to medicate rather than work with troubled kids.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think those are all great suggestions and each would certainly be worth more than the effort and dance spent on gun legislation.

Real puzzling why no one seems to discuss any of the issues all at once or frequently

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You've embarrassed yourself. AR15 trigger groups would be an extremely poor design to recreate in plastic. The hammer to sear engagment would be garbage without a machined polish and a light hammer would require massive speed to create the same force as a steel one. Much better alternatives out there.

8. Svpernaut

Of course it isn't "ideal" to build it with plastic, and I never said it was. As I said, there WILL be alternative printing materials other than plastic on the market for the average consumer sooner rather than later. I encourage you to look in to nylon, carbon fiber, talmaun 645 and graphite. That's the point, you CAN print metal parts with 3D printers, just not ones affordable to the average consumer... YET.

3D printing is a platform, the materials are irrelevant because you can and will be able to literally print any material in the not so distant future... even organic material including internal organs, meat and leather, which are covered by several videos and posts throughout this thread.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I feel like I'm reading the same person argue with himself.

10. Svpernaut

I'm just pointing out the facts with others interested in this technology. In January I showed a video of how a large capacity mag was 3D printed, and people responded "You'll never have a 3D printed gun." Well just months later the same people have 3D printed an AR-15 lower that withstood 600 rounds. They then created a zip-like gun made entirely of plastic and a common nail.

If that is the progress people have made in four months, where the hell do you think it'll be in four years? Moore's law is in full effect with this new technology, just like with most others. Quality and speed of 3D printers will grow exponentially in the near future while costs will continue to drop.

3D printers are going to completely change our perception of not only weapons, but of patent and copyright laws and personal freedoms. The internet made it so that anyone can freely distribute digital files including books, music, movies, information and software for free... The internet will now make it possible for people to trade schematics of real life, tangible items that they can print in their dining rooms and dens.

You're the one clearly living with your head in the sand. 3D printers and other low cost automated manufacturing tools will revolutionize the world like steam power and the industrial revolution. They'll empower the everyday man to accomplish extraordinary tasks and obtain once unattainable objects.

Also, the holodeck is nearly here my friend.

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/illumiroom/

and...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KJo12Hz_BVI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Does Svpernaut work in the 3d printing business? He is starting to sound like a salesman now.

12. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Democrats put politics into firearm legislation
    By Sen. Ted Cruz

In the national debate over gun control, emotion and rhetoric often overshadow the facts. Consider what President Barack Obama said in the wake of the tragic murders at Sandy Hook: "If there's even one thing we can do to reduce this violence, if there's even one life that can be saved, then we've got an obligation to try."

Of course he's right; we should do everything we can to stop violent gun crime. But then why did Democrats in the Senate just vote down common-sense legislation that would have made major progress in actually stopping gun crime? The only answer is politics.

There are two basic approaches to gun legislation: We can target violent criminals and those with serious mental illnesses or we can restrict the rights of law-abiding citizens. Obama and U.S. Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nevada, favor the latter. But the former is what actually works.

Here are three facts that Obama does not want to address:

The Obama administration has not made it a priority to prosecute felons and fugitives who try to illegally purchase guns. Indeed, in 2010, 48,321 fugitives and felons tried to illegally purchase firearms. The Obama administration prosecuted just 44. Forty-four out of 48,321.
    Under Obama, gun crime prosecutions hit a decade low in 2011 - down 30 percent from their record high in 2004.
    Obama's budgets have slashed funding for school safety. If the objective were to stop violent gun crime, the approach would be to target felons, gun-crime prosecution and school safety.
    And that's exactly what the Grassley-Cruz bill would have done. It allocated $50 million to create a task force to prosecute felons and fugitives trying to illegally purchase guns; it provided $45 million to increase gun-crime prosecution in the 15 most dangerous U.S. cities; and it restored $300 million in school-safety funding that the Obama budget had cut.

The legislation had the most bipartisan support of all the gun proposals; Democrats cast nine of the 52 yes votes. But the remaining Democrats, led by Reid, filibustered and killed the bill.

Why? They wanted instead to pass legislation that would extend the background check system to private sales between law-abiding citizens.

Their bill would not have allocated one penny to prosecuting felons, fugitives or gun crimes. But it was poll-tested. "Universal background checks" are popular, at least until people learn what that entails.

Under current law, every federally licensed firearms dealer must perform a background check on every single gun sale, whether that sale occurs in a store, at a gun show or online. Individual citizens, however, are not required to do the same for private sales.

The bill Obama seeks would turn Americans into felons for simply selling or transferring a firearm without first performing a background check, with fines and penalties up to five years. A recent national poll of law-enforcement officers showed that they overwhelmingly disagree this would bring down gun crime.

If regulating private sales wouldn't be effective at stopping violent crime, why are the Democrats pushing so hard for it?

For one thing, it would impose a universal Obama "gun tax" on private sales - requiring individual citizens to pay for the new background checks.

Even more ominously, the long-term objective of extending background checks to private citizens is the creation of a national gun registry, a federal government list of every firearm owned by every American. To be sure, the latest Senate legislation purports to prohibit a gun registry, but the Obama Justice Department has been explicit about its ultimate objective.

In January 2013, Greg Ridgeway, deputy director of DOJ's National Institute for Justice, wrote, "effectiveness (of universal background checks) depends on the ability to reduce straw purchasing, requiring gun registration and an easy gun transfer process."

And gun registration has historically been the predicate for gun confiscation.

Senate Democrats reply that gun confiscation is not their objective. But the record belies that claim.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., has said that, "If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them (assault weapons) … Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it."

Given those stated objectives, Americans are understandably reluctant to take any steps down a path toward a federal gun registry. Instead, we should protect the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms for law-abiding citizens. And we should do what works: targeting felons, fugitives and gun crime and improving school safety.

If we look at the facts, that's how we stop violent crime.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Since you are quoting, why don't you provide the post where "people responded" in this fashion.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

3d printed gown.

link

15. Svpernaut

All from the first page...

called it - http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=238492

16. SamFisher

So which one of these posters unequivocally stated that you would "never have a 3D gun" ?

NOt a single one states this, or anything remotely close. They are rightfully mocking you for citing the current non-existent 3D gun death problem as remotely relevant to the commerical gun death industrial complex.

17. Svpernaut

Plenty have said that or equivalent.... if not in this thread than one of the many sandy hook threads. I'm sure one of the 17 other pages have it too, or complaints about "barrels" or other aspects of the gun not being printable. Search away, I'm at work.

18. SamFisher

Next time maybe 3D print yourself an opponent to claim victory over before you actually do.

19. Svpernaut

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=7538852

There are several more of those types, just in this thread. And countless more in the MANY gun related threads where I brought up 3D printing.

I admit, "dealing with scottie" isn't exactly "you won't have 3D printed guns," but it is pretty damn close considering this was a few months ago.

20. Svpernaut

and another...