1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Play Tyrod Taylor

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pgabriel, Nov 8, 2021.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

After winning the first game if they were competitive it made sense. Now that they seem to be the worst team you should let Mills continue starting as he maybe your future starting QB.

Nothing against Taylor

Phillyrocket and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

He can learn from the bench. Its Already been shown what happen u toss him in the steamy pile of a sht of a team. Poor rookie gonna get ptsd.

If he's starting qb material he shouls out play Taylor next season in training camp.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, he played against the toughest defenses in the league. No sense in babying him now. See what he’s got.
    Tyrod just got lit up by a 1 win team. Mills wouldn’t have done any worse and most likely much better.

ROXRAN, whag00 and conquistador#11 like this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I could see this playing out too. One thing I like about Mills is he doesn’t seem to get too rattled and he will stand in there to throw when there’s pressure.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Better? The OL gave up 5 sacks. Mills likely is sacked more.

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Have you missed the other games where the Oline was playing poorly?

raining threes likes this.
  7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Pretty much every game

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Right, I don’t see the difference. Mills has some stinkers, but was playing much better teams. I’m fairly certain Mills would have been better yesterday

Zen Tabak and raining threes like this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Quarterbacks being ruined by early failure is a myth

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'm disappointed Caserio didn't step in and stop this, but I imagine that the reason is larger than we realize.

Tanking in the NFL is still taboo and I imagine it has a lot to do with how playing sub-optimal people can have really negative far reaching consequences.

Tyrod signed here to, if able, be the starting quarterback. You need free agents to be assured of that when they do business with you that they won't sandbag you. Every game a starter sits without consent is potential future earnings and productivity lost. Further, sub-optimal starters can have downstream effects on the players that depend on them to do their job. This also goes for coaching candidates, btw.

So, as much as I wanted Mills to see the rest of the year out, I think there may be something bigger driving the decisions.

DatRocketFan and No Worries like this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I could see this for sure. But I don’t think Tyrod was signed here to be a starter. He was signed too tier back up money to be either the back up or stop gap to young QB.

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This is the issue for me. Essentially you’re likely going into next season without any additional clarity at the most important position. Does 8 more games this season give you a definitive answer? I don't know but the more data points the better IMO. IF Mills does not pan out next season, we are looking at the exact same scenario come 2023: starting a rookie QB or letting them sit behind a vet. I'd much rather try and get this out of the way in 2022 unless Caserio is absolutely convinced he doesn't want any part of this QB draft class.

But it should be noted that this is the exact same scenario the Bills, Browns and Chargers went through. Allen, Mayfield and Herbert all took over after Tyrod got hurt and neither of the teams looked back. Mayfield and Herbert put up much better numbers but Allen was pretty terrible.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Why play... at all?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

At this point you commit to Mills for the rest of the season.
    Have the bye week to really take some mental reps. See what you got the rest of the year. Only positives come out of it. He either shows more consistency and we lose to get a high pick. Or he doesn’t and we lost to get a high pick.

gucci888 likes this.
  15. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Well if the goal is to go 1-16 maybe Taylor is the way to go. He looked worse than Mills has looked all season. So either he is not healthy or there was a lack of in game adjustments.

I know Taylor knows how to read a blitz so yesterday's failure falls on Tim Kelly and Culley as much as it does Taylor.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I don’t know. Outside very specific situations, NFL free agents typically go to the highest bidder. I really don’t see them looking at how the QB situation was handled as the reason not to come here.

This is a very perplexing decision much like some of the other moves Caserio has made this far.

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

So dumb

ROXRAN and whag00 like this.
  19. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Why.....you know what you have in Taylor, a respectable back up but clearly not a starter. You have Mills and we need to see if he can be a serviceable back up in the future, from what he has shown up to this point I don't see a starter but hey who knows, this season is going nowhere and you have to see what the kid can do. Taylor has been dealt some crappy blows over his career but now is not the time to act like he`s our starter who is leading a 1-8 team to nowhere.....let the kid play the rest of the season and lets see what happens

whag00 and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Culley is possibly a bigger idiot than Silas (if that's possible)

whag00 and Roc Paint like this.