1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Pau Gasol would be an ideal fit for Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonFan81, Jan 25, 2013.

1. rogower

rogower Member

Well, if that's the case, then plug in the name of some other worthless minimum salary end-of-the-bench scrub for Darius Johnson-Odom, it's the same deal, really. Houston isn't going to be interested in re-signing any of these scrubs beyond this season, obviously.

If the Lakers aren't really interested in Lin, then the two teams (Houston and L.A.) can identify a third team, one that IS interested in Lin, and send Lin to that team for expiring contracts plus as many draft picks and/or prospects as possible. Utah, for example, would possibly be interested in trading Alec Burks and expiring contracts for Lin. Burks and the expiring contracts would get shipped to L.A. in this scenario. L.A. ends up dumping Gasol's contract for Alec Burks, Patrick Patterson, Royce White, expiring contracts, and cap/tax relief, in other words. This is probably all that L.A. can reasonably expect for Gasol at this point, given his massive salary and his age.

2. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Exactly. Pau is still an exceptional player and championship caliber, he's just being misused, he abused Team USA in the Olympics. Looking at the FA class of 2014 he'd be more suitable than most to be the 2nd star.

It's funny that a fanbase which had Hakeem doesn't buy into Gasol and the importance of having one of the most complete centres and would prefer someone like Paul Millsap or Josh Smith :rolleyes:

3. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

If Jim Buss trades Pau, it's a sign he's going all in on D'Antoni's system which means besides Dwight and Sacre (in absence of a decent backup 5), anyone who can't shoot is game to get dumped. So Hill, Ebanks, possibly Jamison, in addition to all the bench scrubs. You might be able to get a decent player in addition to Pau instead of only scrubs - I actually think Hill is a good bench pickup. Ironic thing about all the bench scrubs is they've all had 1 or 2 games where they've made a difference. D'Antoni was raving about Earl Clark a couple weeks back.

If Pau isn't traded, they'll probably bring back Phil Jackson for next season and run the triangle. If they do that, they'll probably keep the old guard including Ebanks and get rid of Hill, Duhon, Meeks, etc

4. comehere2

comehere2 Member

sure, if your direction is going down. otherwise, hell no.

5. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Does anyone realize how great of a defensive front court Pau, Asik and Parsons could be? How about how great a Harden-Gasol pick and roll would be? I'm having flashbacks of PnR with Drexler and Dream just thinking about it.

I can't imagine a more perfect player for this Rockets team. You get a great 2nd offensive option, the best post player in the league, a willing passer, a good outside shooter and, most importantly for this current team, a veteran leader and good defender.

Considering what you would have to give up for him, 2 years of Pau is not mortgaging the future for the present, it is maximizing the present at a reasonable cost. The young talent we would have to give up for him is not being used (or developed) right now anyway; and there is not going to be a better free agent over this off-season anyway, so it is doubtful the cap space could be better used. And allowing great young players like Harden, Parsons and Asik get not just playoff experience, but perhaps even experience winning in the playoffs is priceless. Going into next season an experienced inside-outside combo of Harden and Gasol could lead this team to be a competitor for the title.

Also, I think any trade for Gasol would probably include Lin, which, while I have nothing against him as a player, he does not mesh well with Harden and both he and the Rockets would be well served if he could play elsewhere. In fact, I think being matched back up with D'Antoni would be perfect for his career.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Git'r'dun' Maurrii!

7. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

It would be a sign that the Lakers have given up on the Gasol-Kobe era and are looking to rebuild. That trade would mean the Lakers have basically conceded their 2014 season, and I'm not sure they'd be happy improving Houston and Utah.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You're missing the point. Pau etc can only help us get to the 5th spot at the best.
    We need a star, who can play consistently on both ends of the court, and help us become a championship contender.

9. HamJam

I can't think of a player that is potentially available who better fits the description of someone who is a star, great at both ends of the court and can help us become a contender.

Pau has been inconsistent throughout his career, and that will always be a knock on him. However, when put into a position to succeed, few players have the skill and ability to impact the game that he does.

I know people keep harping on it, but what he did in the Olympics a few months ago really can not be dismissed.

10. rogower

rogower Member

Well, again, there was a short-term plan (compete with Kobe-Howard-Gasol-Nash) and then there is the long-term plan (sign Lebron in the summer of 2014, pair him with Lebron). The short-term plan is one of the most spectacular failures in the history of team sports thus far, and the payroll is a monstrosity. So yes, dumping Pau would be an admission that this status quo isn't working. How much more evidence do we really need to know that the status quo isn't working? Does anybody honestly believe that this group of players is going to be able to beat, say, Oklahoma City in 2013-14? Or Miami? Time to start preparing for 2014-15, Year One of the Lebron-Howard era, in other words.

11. rogower

rogower Member

God, I always seem to make a typo. The long-term plan would be to sign Lebron in 2014 and pair him with Howard, not with himself.

12. Swaggerific

Swaggerific Member

We need a power forward that can defend and set hard screens

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

he is a great piece. You can bet your ass Morey is trying his best to pry him away despite the smokescreen of "Keeping the team young"

14. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

UNO. Exactly

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

He doesn't work so great with a ball dominant shooting guard like Harden, let's put him next to Kobe :rolleyes:

16. HamJam

No, that's a good point (typed while shaking my head in agreement). I think he'd come off the bench in LA though, which is what his role really should be at this point in his career (sort of a bigger Barea). Perhaps he'll be ready to start by the time Nash and Kobe are fading away.

17. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

There are 18 million reasons this is a non=starter.

18. roxxy

roxxy Member

No thank you. Pau is atrocious defensively & the Rockets desperately need a 4 that can defend.

Offensively he is nice. Rolls hard to the rim, can pick & pop, sets good screens, has a post game, great passer etc.

But the offensive production isn't sufficient enough to outweigh the lack of D.

19. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

i hated the idea at first. for two reasons, 1. hits our cap and takes us out of FA this offseason, and two 2. hes getting older and doesnt fit our youth movement.
    but the more i thought about it its actually a really good idea. this offseason we wont be getting that player that will take us to contenders anyways, his salary is off in 2014 which is going to be feature a great class of FA.
    I think pau even at his age is great fit for our team. can run the pnr better than anyone in the league and is an great option in the post and could be a great leader for our youngins.

20. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

plus his value is at an all time low. could get him for a bunch of expiring contracts that we wouldnt sign anyways.