1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Pau Gasol would be an ideal fit for Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonFan81, Jan 25, 2013.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What about him? He's avg more rebound then Patterson in less mins, he's shooting 44%.

Last year he dropped 17 points 6 boards 2 assist and almost a steal and block on 65 games.

If you think he's suddenly lost his skill from last year which he was 35 and now 36 let me know.

He's on the lakers, who have been playing terribly bad, who has 4 allstars which 3 are throwing a fit's and playing with pringles as a new coach, its obvious why his #'s aren't there...and its not because he suddenly lost all his talent between 35 and 36.

2. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Jamison brings no D to the table. I'd easily take Morris or Patterson over him. If the Rockets fans think Harden plays no D, wait till you have Jamison on the team.

But it's moot, the Rockets won't want him and the Lakers won't want to give him up. He's a vet who took a paycut to play in LA. You trade those guys, you'll cause a ton of animosity from the players, agents and future vets who might want to take a paycut. Remember when they traded Gary Payton? It was a PR nightmare.

3. cw3k

cw3k Member

Why would anyone beside Nets want the drama queen? When Howards goes to the Nets, he can DWills can complain and cry everyday together.

Howards is immature, while he is good, but he is a liability.

4. tonguyen

tonguyen Rookie

Paul Gasol

To me if we were desperate for an All Star before then we will get him since he is injury prone and crying baby. Since we are young team with good chemistry so far we have to learn to be more patient and build the team up from our rookies for now until another great opportunity comes up in the future.

5. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

Getting Gasol all depends on Morey's evaluation of THIS years FA class and at what price you would have to pay to trade for Gasol.

1) If Morey deems no FA in this years FA class worthy of a longterm contract offer then getting Gasol makes a lot of sense. He would be an expiring next season and would not prohibit the team from spending the cap space then. Also, put Gasol in a better environment and make better use of his skill set might even increase his trade value next season to trade for a better "long term" fit. However, if Morey thinks he has a chance at Dwight or thinks J.Smith, Millsap, or Jefferson are worth max contracts and fit this team - they don't make the move.

2) Gasol's trade price would have to be a Godfather deal - one you just can't refuse. No way Morey gives up more then 1 young asset (T.Jones?) and cap fillers (Patterson, Aldrich, Delfino). If the Lakers ask for D-Mo or even crazier Parsons you move on.

1 person likes this.
  6. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

7. jocar

jocar Member

I'd rather have the dude who put up 30/13/8/3 last night.

8. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Tell this to Mr.Andrew Bynum......they seemed to work pretty good together if you ask me.

9. Summer Song Giver

I'd take Pau for pennines on the dollar, unfortunately we don't have the bg money slary to send out to make the salaries match.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Pau is 32. Harden is 23. The horizons don't match.

11. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

This is not the direction the Rockets are going in. We are building a young team that can grow together. Gasol wouldnt be able to keep up with our run-n-gun offense.

12. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Yeah that's the sad part. Lakers are going to be desperate to dump his salary though they're in the tax and the repeater comes into effect next season. If in the miracle he's amnestied I swear Morey better be the highest bidder. Pau would make this team a contender. Not WCF favourites, but a legitimate chance and the best one they'll have besides having two all-stars join Harden on reduced contracts.

13. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Yes, I am one of those people that are against getting Gasol because he doesn't win us a championship. And I am not very excited about Millsap or Smith. I would rather just be patient and develop TJones and D-Mo and keep our cap space and flexibility. I'm patient and would rather do the rebuild right the first time. Gasol may make us a playoff team, but that doesn't mean much if Championships are what we are after.

14. the shark

the shark Member

the Rockets are the youngest team in the league.

Gasol is going to be THIRTY THREE in July.

So why in the world would you want to trade assets and eat up the precious cap space we have available for someone who's best basketball is behind him?

On top of that, were not an elite team nor would adding him make us an elite team. It's going to take a few more yrs (3-4) before we can seriously compete for a championship. In 3-4 yrs Gasol is 36-37 yrs old.

Not even an option.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Pau would definitely be a huge upgrade at our PF spot. I don't buy the spacing concern. You can post him up and play the inside-out game with Harden. Asik can just stay on the weak side for the rebound. You can pull him out to the high post and be the facilitator. You can do pick n roll with him and he sets good picks and can finish. And he grabs rebounds and throws outlet passes.

If for nothing, CF.net wouldn't be cluttered with complaints about not playing the rookies PFs. :grin: But the price is too high, especially if you count the opportunity cost... (trying to remember Economics 101 in college) If we were contending, I'd certainly want Pau as the last main piece. But we are not.

16. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

What is the thought in getting players like Josh Smith, Pau Gasol and Paul Milsap? We will be stuck right back in mediocrity imo.

17. Raven

Raven Member

The Rockets have committed to "winning now", no rebuild, no lottery. Wiggins isn't walking through the front door in 18 months, so that means making a list of the 15 best players under 30 and targeting those that have a realistic chance of being available over the next 12 months.

Like it or not, that's pretty much the plan, right?

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Back in 2006, Shaq was 34 (and well into his decline as a player), and Dwyane Wade was 24. They won an NBA title that year.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

We are in mediocrity right now. Exactly .500 win% and 9th place.

20. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

BimaThug.....spittin' game as usual.

Look we all know Gasol isn't the final piece but he will go a long way to shore up this PF spot for the next year and a half.