1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Oladipo over LeVert?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I still say should have kept Allen and LaVert. Both have 3 year deals and both young. You know who else is on a 3 year deal? Wall, Wood, Tate. Move Allen to 5, Wood to 4. You have a playoff team right there for the next 3 years with still a good amount of picks.

Why not? and thedude077 like this.
  2. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Westbrook will shoot it but will hesitate at times to pull like LeBron used to in the 14 Finals. They know it's the "correct" basketball play but they lack confidence in their shot (LeBron is actually a good shooter now). Simmons simply won't shoot from distance at all. Even if he is wide ass open. And when you pass up a wide open shot that totally works against your offense and more than likely the shot you do take will be a contested shot or a 24 second shot clock violation. That's another reason why I didn't want Simmons here. It's better to miss a wide open jumper than to take a contested shot.

3. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

The Rockets prioritize players who play beyond the level of their contract. There are no easier ways to get that than through the draft. They want valuable players on cheap contracts. This is all for cost savings.

4. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Oladipo is a former allstar, I think he’s a more proven player. Plus the expiring contract is an asset.

Htown's Finest and banzai like this.
  5. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

He gonna be gone obviously.

6. omgTHEpotential

I think you're right. After returning from injury last season, Oladipo was not good (fringe starter level of play at best). But this season, he was really starting to look like the All-Star version of himself while also playing within a team concept and really really good defense. It was a great deal for Indiana (since it was clear Dipo wasn't going to stay in Indy), but I think time will show that it's also a good deal for Houston.

groovemachine likes this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

This.

Looking back I still like the trade overall but trading Allen and Prince for Dante Exum and a first seems like a misstep, drags the trade down from A to B+ for me. Seems like Cleveland got away with murder on that trade basically gave a low FRP for Allen and Prince.

It aint even about LTS cuz Allen and Exum are both expiring and make around the same amount of money. Either Rox REALLY love the 2021 class and dont mind taking a hit on value to stockpile on picks or they dont think Allen is worth more than a FRP as is and his value only gonna go down at trade deadline. But then again what would be an acceptable trade for an expiring Allen? Tbh even 1 additional 2nd rounder on top of the FRP would have made it acceptable imo, its not like Allen is a franchise cornerstone plus he is due to make big bucks.

Prince is meh, I looked at his stats dude is mediocre both at defense and 3 pt shooting. Maybe Stone and Fertits valued 3M savings as worth a 2nd rounder? I guess that would make sense esp if they end up buying a 2nd round pick at next years draft.

#67 roslolian, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    BallaDoc likes this.
  8. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

did we have Allen and Prince in the trade first up ? because the other move was Levert to Indiana and the Cavs part was apart of the starting trade

i think we just had Levert and we shipped him after the original three way trade

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

We could have gotten all of them without needing Cleveland or even Pacers cuz Levert makes 16M, Prince 3M, RK 1M and Allen makes 9M while Harden makes 41M. It would still be LTS even without 3rd and 4rth party involved.

10. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

We gave up Lavert and Allen for pennies in this trade, Pacers and Cavs are the real winners because they robbed the **** out of us.

The only reasons I can come up with is either MONEY (****ing Cheapass Tilman) or we're blowing this team sky high by the trade deadline (Dipo, Wall, Eg, Tucker all gone for picks) so we can try to gamble for a top 4 pick... I highly doubt it's the latter because we could've gotten way more if we kept those 2 and traded them later.

Mr Woods likes this.
  11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's not Magic Johnson

And Christian Woods is not Hakeem

@Reeko

12. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

Oladipo really is the new Kevin Martin of this Rocket version. I’m just going to call him K-Mart moving forward. Hopefully the end result is the same and he nets us another James Harden type down the road.

13. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

If Oladipo becomes better than Oladipo, we may keep him. And If we get Lavert and the chemistry doesn't work, we may have to implode again which will be too costly than Oladipo. If Rockets keep winning, I don't see it is 1 and done unless they really want to start from scratch.

14. HROZ

HROZ Member

Think the expiring

Maybe they view Gordon as the 2 with 4 years left on his deal. Plus I think they're looking at tanking next year.

2022 draft class is going to be loaded.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

To a certain degree, all teams need to at least have a few "names". Oladipo was an all star and is known as a scorer so they will quickly create a big poster of him, Wall and Wood to hang outside the building. Of course, they will attach the Oladipo poster using velcro strips...

16. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Career 54% TS vs Levert’s 51%

Better defender.

Fits nicely in Denver (MPJ) and Miami (Herro).

Expiring that gives Hou more rebuilding autonomy going forward.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Some of y'all really wanted the LeVert, Wood pairing for 3 years huh?

Congrats on the proverbial 8th seed and three straight first round exits if we were lucky.

18. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

I don’t think there is any way the Rockets would trade LeVert for Oladipo without talking to Oladipo on whether he’d be willing to sign a max contract in Houston or not. It seems from what I read his priority is a max contract (and playing in a bigger market) over playing in Miami, and he’d get a bigger max contract (and bigger market than Miami) here. He simply fits too well here, being in the #1 offensive system from last year (Mavericks via Silas) and a new era of defense (he’s stellar in D) without Harden watering down the tone. Being the fourth among three former and future All-Stars and a rising coach, I don’t get the tanking talk at all either.

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Some of you need to understand basketball more and just Shut Up And Listen.

20. Zergling

Zergling Member

This is pure and simple a salary dump. That, and vindictive Fertitta probably had zero interest to reward Morey for quitting on him.