1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why oh why is Rafer starting.... Geez Luis!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by javashot, Nov 3, 2007.

1. javashot

javashot Member

Once again Rafer has pulled off his hat trick and played good during preseason and fell of as soon as we tipped off for game 1. His 3 point shot lays more bricks than the Fannie Mae Foundation. Wht is MJ not playing ahead of him? And also why do we have the same starting line up we did last year? It seems our bench is better than our starters at scoring. Not complaining as long as we get our wins. I am just curious as to whether we have a better combination players to start or not.

2. AkeemTheDreem86

You want guys with offensive punch to come off the bench. Rafer and Hayes would be useless in this roll. By starting them, you are not only using your players to their maximum potential, but also creating mismatches every time you dip into your bench.

This has taken me a few weeks to realize, too.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

No, you just made a thread specifically to complain. So, yes, you ARE COMPLAINING. And this topic has been discussed over and over and over and over and OVER again and there is no need to create yet another thread about it.

4. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

This thread fails

5. aamir

aamir Member

Rafer played a good game today... and our starters finished the game for us in the first 8 minutes...

...wrong day for this thread? :confused:

6. javashot

javashot Member

You are doing just that. COMPLAINING! HAHA
    This is a forum. Forum=discussion

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Forum does not = pointless b****ing after wins on topic already b****ed about multiple times.

And YES, I am complaining about this crap. But I didn't say "I'm not complaining."

The one star rating this thread receives should tell you something about what people think of your "discussion."

8. mbiker

mbiker Member

Rafer shot 4-9 compared to Mike James’ 5-14. Rafer had 6 assist and James had 1 assist. Rafer was not that bad.

9. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

this topic is so annoying get over it people were winning thats all that matters right now

10. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

No no no....Rafer has developed into a very good 3pt shooter. This thread is dumb! We have many threads about who is starting. This thread show you're not a frequent visitors and don't know what's going on....this thread should be closed!

11. vator

vator Contributing Member

A bit tired of this topic myself but if it's any consolation to you, James did finish the game tonight and shouldn't that be what is more important. Adelman will go with what he believes in from night to night.

James comes off the bench with a green light to shoot. He managed to hoist up 14 shots tonight in 24 minutes. He would have to tone that down a bit if he started because we always start games out trying to establish Yao and Tracy. There is more to basketball than just scoring and although James is superior most nights to Rafer in that regard, there are other things that Rafer brings to the table that go either unnoticed or under appreciated by some. They compliment each other well. Yin to the other's Yang so to speak. Too bad we waste so much time arguing about who is starting and harping on the deficiencies in both of their games in order to prove our points. They are both Houston Rockets and they both help us win in their own way. James is the instant offense while Alston pushes the ball up more and is a little better at steals, rebounds and assists.

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    ^ that basically sums everything up
    <br>
    along with the fact that reafer sucks....I won't even go into detail as to why....I think we all already know the answer to that

13. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    sorry i did not quote the latter statement correctly :D

14. onethreeeleven

I don't care if we win or lose, as long as Rafer plays 40+ minutes.

That's right, I'm a ROF.

(excuse me while I go vomit at that thought...)

15. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Member

Rafer Alston was +11 against the Blazers, third highest after Scola and Yao. Mike James was a -2.

16. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

You do realise that Rafer shot a better % than James tonight?

Rafer shot 4-9 had 6 assists, 3 rebounds, 1 steal and 1 turn over.
    James shot 5-14 had 1 assist, 3 rebounds, 0 steals and 1 turn over.

James is doing exactly what we want in providing an offensive spark off the bench. Rafer is not playing for his scoring. For the most part he only takes wide open 3 pointers and he makes a decent amount of them, even if his misses are exceptionally ugly. He shot ONE percent less than James last season from 3. It's just that James has been on fire to start the season from 3, shooting 7-13 for almost 54%, which is obviously unlikely to continue considering his career 3 pt % is 38%.

If we can trade for an upgrade to Rafer then by all means do it. We are 3-0 and learning a completely new offense and I expect things to improve as the year goes on, so nitpicking each individual performance is kind of pointless. After all Tmac had more shots (23) than points (20), but we aren't going to be benching him either.

17. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

are you f*cking serious?????

18. ekim

ekim Member

If you are going to bash Rafer you are 1 game late... cus he actually played pretty good tonight.

19. mbiker

mbiker Member

One of the reasons RA is playing Rafer is that you have two great offensive threats on the floor at the start of the game. Right from the start they are going to try to go to Yao and Tmac. Yao especially needs the ball at the beginning of the game. When Yao doesn’t get in the groove early, he doesn’t play that well. Since Rafer is a better passer and runs the offense better, he starts.

There is a huge difference in how they run the offense. As far as passing goes Rafer throws the ball to where the person is going to be. James throws the ball to the open person. This is akin to a good football quarterback compared to a bad one (Carr).

RA has been using James in the perfect way and it has been very successful so far. James’ spark off the bench is one of the reasons we are 3 and 0. I seriously doubt we would be undefeated if James was starting the game.

20. k2djspike

k2djspike Member

i dunno i never did like RA. its hard to say why but it just seems to me like he keeps choking when he is under pressure. i guess its not always the case but it sure seems like everytime im watching him hes turning the ball over, missing the shot, or just missing a lay up