1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why not Wang ZhiZhi for PF?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by youAndMe, Dec 25, 2002.

1. youAndMe

youAndMe Member

I know there must be a thread about this already. But I really need to bring that up again because I start to know more about his skills after I talked to few of my friends from China and the need of Rockets for a PF with the ability to shoot the ball consistently is imminent. My friends have been watching the CBA for years and they have seen the development of both Wand and Yao. First Yao respects Wang for his skills and he has been a big rival for Yao for few years. Well, this is almost equivalent saying that Wang is good. Second, if this is a pick btw MoT and Wang, Wang is definitely the option. He could potentially rebound better than MoT and he wasn't given enough minutes to prove that. I know people would think he is too slow but hell MoT is not any faster. Third, in the previous game with the Clippers, Wang showed he could be a all around player. He shot a trey and in the following possession, he did an awesome spin move and laid up ball to the basketball in the traffic. Even Calvin Murphy went "wow, nice move for a seven footer". Forth, he has as much fundamental as Yao. They almost grew up under the same school of teaching. He could pass the ball as good as Yao. At last, I believe a different and positive chemistry could happen when both Yao and Wang are on the court. They have been playing against each other for several years. And, (I know this sounds little funny), they could communicate secretly on the court in mandarain and the opponents would not have a heck of idea what they're talking about.

2. SLA

SLA Member

First of all...Merry Christmas!

Les Alexander is a rich Yankee and probably would not like 2 Chinese people on the team. If you admit that Yao Ming is better than WangZhiZhi, then sure. Yao Ming is better than Wang. Wang can shoot but I don't think he can shoot any better than Eddie Griffin. Wang has gotten stronger and we could teach him to be more aggressive. He only asks for $400,000 per year. That's minimum wage in the NBA. He has good fundamentals.
    BUT...we will not have 2 Chinese guys on the same team. All of the other players on the Rockets will be like Hell No. And Wang has no relationship with China. China hates him because he didn't return for the World Championship games. Now they aren't allowing him to go back...and they don't broadcast any games with him in it. Bad relationship...They do need him if they want to win in the Olympics. They won't ever beat the US though.
    If Wang actually joined the Rockets, I wouldn't dislike it. But it is impossible.

3. HoustonTx211

HoustonTx211 Member

What the hell we need wang shu shu or however the heck you spell his name he aint nothin special like Yao.

4. youAndMe

youAndMe Member

You're not following my friend. No one in the league can be as special as Yao. Yao is MUCH better. There won't be another player like Yao in the near future. But Wang & Yao have a lot in common. I said that because I intended to related his strengths to Yao's and I think these strengths are something that can help the Rox become a better team in the futre. And, I'm making a suggestion for backup PF player. And the combination of Yao and Wang is like bringing the best of the best from China and blending in with the great talents, like EG, SF, & CAT. And the greatest thing is that they all are still young.

5. youAndMe

youAndMe Member

SLA, you're not following either.
    Here're your arguments against bringing in Wang:
    1. Les = Rich Yankee
    2. Wang = no broadcasting
    3. Brining in Wang = 0 possibility
    These are all hypothetical. You don't have any evidence to support your arguments.
    Wang is damn cheap. But this is secondary. He can bring in what the Rox need now, a PF and a consistent shooter. This is a bonus, 'a player with better BB IQ'.

6. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

First of all, what's the point. We have enough PF's. EG needs to develop and Mo Taylor needs to play himself back to his old form.

I doubt Wang Zhi Zhi wants to spend the entire game on the bench - which is what he would be doing if he was here.

If he's not going to be a major contributor, why sign him? We have enough bench warmers.

The only possible reason would be if Yao was extremely home sick and he and Wang were best friends - which theyre not. From all reports, Wang is arrogant, conceited, and full of himself. I doubt Yao would even want him here.

Frankly, the only people who start these threads are Chinese fans who want to see both players on the same team - and that's not a good reason at all.

7. cas

cas Member

Why not Mengke Bateer for Cato as well?

After all, a little sacrifice is nothing compared to the satisfaction of our Chinese <s>Rocket</s> Yao Ming fans.

8. youAndMe

youAndMe Member

REIT, I assumed 3 things if the Rox would sign Wang. First, MoT could never get back his old form and still 6pts,3rbs. Second, the Rockets could get rid of him through any means. Third, Wang is not any happier in Clippers than in Dallas. He averages only 10 minutes per game. And I'm sure he can get more PT here in Rockets 'cause MoT is still putting in 18+ minutes. I don't think I said anywhere in the message that he could not contribute by being a role player. He got skills and more skills than MoT. Yes, I'm Chinese. But I didn't just throw this in because Wang is Chinese. And your claims that Wang is arrogant, conceit, etc are all hypothetical. I really don't see you have any POINTS!

9. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Wang is not a pf because he can not move lateraly. Even Mo can move lateraly better than Wang. And if can't be a pf, we have no room for a sweet shooting center. Afterall, we allready have Jason Collier for that.;)

10. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Why not Santa Claus for PF? (just to be topical :D)

Seriously, what would he really add to the team, other than being someone that would encourage Yao not to use English?

11. zenkle

zenkle Member

I am a Chinese, but I cannot buy your idea about trade Wang ZhiZhi in as Rox' PF.

I do agree that Wang is a very skillful player, and a solid scorer (given that he has enough mins and the trusts from his teammates). However, what rox lacks of now is not offense, but defense. Wang ZhiZhi is not qualified to fulfil the tough job of rebounding, defending and hustling. He was the best C in China before Yao, and at that time, he did have many center-style movements in the paint. But unfortunately, those skills and movements dramatically vanished when he served Dallas. Now you'd better regard him as a big-size SF rather than a standard PF. I don't say he is not good, but I think he is not suitable for the rold of backup PF in Rox.

And another thing I need to clarify for Wang. He is not conceited and not arrogant. He just don't have the skills to deal with media, and properly communicate with his American teammates. Yao may be speak Eng in the public, but I believe he always talked to his teammate since he started learning Eng from his 14. Wang never did that before he played in NBA. To study a new language in 2 years is not a easy job for a person who never enrolled in the college, especially that person needs to spend most of his time on his basketball career.

I disagree with SLA in the sense that "China" doesn't hate Wang ZhiZhi. A large proportion of Bball fans still support him, since they understand what happened to Wang. Only the top leader in the Bball administration group hate him. Wang stated his desire to serve China in the WC for many many times. What he refused was to participate the pre-WC training. He just wanted to improve himself in the NBA summer league. He has been waiting and even trying to beg the Chinese Bball team to give him the chance to win the glory for his country. But his plea was rejected because of the stupid and stagnant bureaucracy!!! Those officers claimed that, "if you signed a contract, promising that you will serve in the Asian cup and come back to China whenever we need you in any cases, we will grant you a chance to play in the WC." Would any player sign a contract like this??? I totally understand why Wang ZhiZhi cannot accept it. Nowadays, the commercialization of Bball reaches such a level that no country can overlook it. Wang ZhiZhi should take part of the responsibility due to his improper measures. But undoubtedly the officers of CBA should count for much more!!

12. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Youve lost all credibility with this statement. Wang Zhi Zhi is not more talented than Mo Taylor.

Wang's defense is horrible. He is super slow and is not considered a good rebounder. At best he would be a Pat garrity type player. We do not need Wang just like we don't need Pat Garrity.

If Wang Zhi Zhi was good, he wouldnt be playing 10 minutes per game at a minimum NBA salary.

Like I said, the only people who would want him on the Rockets are Chinese fans.

13. pchan

pchan Member

I am a chinese fan, but i don't want wang zhizhi ... He plays too much like a no D shooting guard. But I think he may be able to win the 3 pt shootout.

However, I would like to get Bateer...
    and yao ming is my favorite player

14. acizlan

acizlan Member

Wang SUX, PERIOD!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

15. Sane

Sane Member

Isn't Wang EXACTLY what the Rockets DON'T need?

I mean, we've been looking for the perfect banger/rebounding/defending PF, and have been wanting to dump Mo.

Mo, when fully healthy, can do anything can do TWICE better, except for hit 3's. That's not what we need. Right now, Mo is a much better player than Wang. A better rebounder even. A better passer probably. Easily a better defender.

We need more D. Sean Rooks would be of more use to our team than Wang Zhi Zhi right now. He can't be our backup C either, Cato is PERFECT doing his job.

Also, I don't want Zhi Zhi coming here and splitting the team up. Right now, Yao is meshing well with our players, if Zhi Zhi comes here, it might and probably will ruin that.

16. albert57d

albert57d Member

Do you guys no that LAC games are supposedly banned from being aired in China coz Wang plays for them ? Rox, in getting also has the intention on becoming China's team coz of Yao and the financial benefit that comes along with it , if Wang comes to Rox, who knows what the Chinese goverment would do ? Ban Rockets game too ? Maybe not but who knows . Its still a communist country you know. Not worth the risk

17. micah1j

micah1j Member

Right on Albert. Les is not stupid enough to screw up a good thing.

18. SLA

SLA Member

uhh...actually. China has banned anything with WangZhiZhi in it. Very strict. They probably have underground places that show Wang play.

19. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

So people purposely flaunt government prohibition and hook up an illegal satellite feed, risk getting caught and jailed, just to get a glimpse of Wang Zhi Zhi play 10 minutes a night for the Clippers.

And to think we can pay $10 to watch Yao with the Red Army's blessing. Hmmm... the world just isn't fair. Pass me a Yanjing Beer.

20. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Because he is a shooting guard in a 7 foot body!