1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why not trade For Trevor Ariza?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rwienert, Jan 29, 2006.

1. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

Just read that Trevor Ariza has been relegated to the Knicks bench as Qyntel Woods has been getting more minutes.

It sounds like he's in Larry Brown's doghouse.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/386783p-328200c.html

He's an incredibly long athletic player, who plays with a lot of energy. His abilities remind me a little of marcus camby at the 3 spot. Might be a poor man's camby and a very rich man's ryan bowen.

With Larry Brown dis-satisfied with him, and the knicks in salary cap hell does anyone think it might be worthwhile to send them one of our expiring contracts (would they take moochie back?) in exchange for ariza? I'm no salary cap guru, but it seems feasible.

This is not cure all, but it could help in the athleticism department.

2. Got Em

Got Em Member

He can't shoot and doesn't really understand the game right now. He's basically stromile swift at the 3.

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Your 100% right. He makes dumb mistakes when playing and his defense sucks.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

this is interesting.

i actually watch a lot of knick games since i live in NY and i can tell you that he is a very good defensive player. he is VERY quick and knows how to stay in front of his man. he knows how to play the passing lanes very well. he is a freak of a jumper.

his only problem is that his jumper is as far along as ryan bowen's right now.

if they take a second round pick (basically thier own pick given back to them) then i say it's a deal worth doing.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

How do you propose matching salaries? By adding Rose for DWes and Mooch? :rolleyes:

6. batizy

batizy Member

If the one can not fit Larry Brown's system, it is hard for him to understand JVG's system, defense side.

7. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I'd like to know with all the personnel problems we have had this year why we didn't try to sign Qyntel Woods. He looked great against the 76ers on both ends of the floor. Aziza might be a good player a few years down the road but at this point he won't help the Rox and he is a little bit of a cry baby.

8. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

From what I have read, it doesn't seem like it's him not fitting a system. I think the story is that he said some things about Brown one game to a teammate that another coach over heard. I don't know much about Ariza's persona or attitude, but it seems this is a re-occuring theme with Brown. It just seems players don't like him all that much. Seems most players really like JVG on the other hand.

9. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I would liken him to Gerald Wallace when he was back on the Kings myself...

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

Lonny Baxter straight up would work. Ariza will be an unrestricted free agent. Sign him on the cheap in the off-season.

11. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

the gerald wallace comparison seems pretty right on to me.

wallace is probably more explosive, but ariza is longer and taller.

neither was/is much of a jump shooter at age 20.

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

If you read Les's interview in another thread... Woods wouldn't have gotten past the background check.