1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Why Not Tank?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jake Stewart, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Jake Stewart

Jake Stewart Member

You’re missing the point. GS is going to win the championship this year CASE CLOSED. They have 5 all stars in their starting line up.......We have one.

The point I’m trying to make is that the only way the Rockets get better before next season is to have a high draft pick for Morey to use for a trade or let him add depth to our team. Harden, CP3 & Capela on the books don’t leave any room to sign a legit star via FA.

RocketsFido likes this.
  2. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

We should just play for the 9th seed, then CF will be satisfied with the season outcome.

mario_v likes this.
  3. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Liquidate everything you have and bet it on GS to win the championship if you are so sure. Put your money where your mouth is and stop wasting our time with garbage threads...loser.

clutchdabear and RiceRockets like this.
  4. Jake Stewart

Jake Stewart Member

Yes I’m a loser because I want the Rockets to be a better team next season. I’ll save your post and bump it in June when GS are champs again.

Get with it dude we are all Rockets fans ......We just disagree on what is in their best interests, no need to resort to name calling.

mario_v likes this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

That is not the Houston Way

Rocket River

6. matchesmalone

matchesmalone Member

Attach a couple future firsts to CP3s albatross of a contract, trade Capela for a few firsts and sit Harden out the rest of the year and build around Harden and Barrett/Zion then profit. Hell maybe even trade Harden for a kings ransom. Cause this current team is just painful to watch.

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

Too many unknowns. Also it’s not like you can tell Harden and CP to tank. They will slap it out of their face as quick as a flash. Wishful thinking to say the least if not pure fantasy. You may be thinking of the Duncan pick Spurs got. But the previous year David Robinson was injured and they also lucked out landing the first pick. It’s more difficult and requires more luck than just focusing on how to improve us this season

Elephant810 likes this.
  8. BigBum

BigBum Member

surrender thread

9. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Players don't tank, front offices do. I'll be damned to see CP3 and Harden buy into a tank.

10. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Let's tank for Zion or Barrett!!

My dudes, there's like 3 teams on pace to get fewer than 20 wins this year. We're already halfway to that number. You can't just say the word tank and expect to end up with the 1st pick.

Also, y'know, stop being ****ing dumb.

11. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

I'm talking near future picks. Rockets almost beat the Warriors last season when the only difference was having Ariza (Luc wasn't a factor and neither was Ryno). If Ariza was the only true difference, there are definitely players who are even better than him who can be had in exchange for the 20 million in expiring contracts and near future picks (that will be late first and second round picks anyway). So if that means mortgaging the future, then sure.

12. Jake Stewart

Jake Stewart Member

But you’re not taking into account that the Warriors got better by adding Cousins.

13. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

We don't know that yet.. I still have my doubts whether he will even be a good fit let alone be a good player coming off that injury. Even when Cuz was at his best, dude didn't move well without the ball (which is an absolute must in the Warriors offense. Dude was never much of a shot blocker or defender in general. Yes, he's a good rebounder but is that really going to move that needle much for the Warriors? He can also shoot from 3 but are the Warriors really going to have him become a spot up shooter?

Again, even if he is good (which is a huge IF), there's a strong possibility that he may not even fit.

#53 Elephant810, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    clutchdabear likes this.
  14. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

^THIS!!!!!

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

It really depends upon your goals and if you think you have a legitimate chance of reaching those goals.

For many teams , just making the playoffs is enough , especially those who have missed in recent years.

For the Rockets , just getting into the playoffs isn't enough. Our aspirations before the season began was WCF or bust.

Do we really feel like that is a reachable goal right now ? If not , what's it gonna take to get us to that - do we have the assets ? Is it worth the expenditure , further mortgaging the future ?

I think we are two quality wing players away. Who's available , what's it cost to get them ? Can you keep them after this season ?

No , tanking at this point isn't likely to land you in the top 3 but it could get you into the top 8 where you can find a solid , cheap by NBA standards wing who would be under team control for a few years. Something you desperately need.

I wouldn't be against shedding salary in EG and Knight , accumulating assets (picks) in exchange , tanking it up for the duration , letting CP3 get healthy … and ending up with a top 8-10 pick , over a first round exit, Then reload in the offseason and give it another run.

16. bmelo

bmelo Member

We basically have no players with upside.. Zion is one thing but any wing from top10 would help us. We aint signing or trading for valuable players anytime soon unless we explode our roster. Or we could flip that pick for a established player which Morey would probably do.

I'd say lets wait until how we see after trade deadline

snowconeman22 likes this.
  17. Vivi

Vivi Member

I hate this but i'm starting to fall in this camp :oops:

18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Ok maybe we should tank .

Send CP3 on a nice restorative vacation ; let him prepare his body for one last run next year

Send James on a tour of strip clubs around the world . We can say he pulled his hammy again .

Give Clark and hartenstein starting roles .

JayGoogle likes this.
  19. Vivi

Vivi Member

Half jokes aside, if this team remains the same in terms of results by January, front office should definitely think about giving up on this season instead of wasting it like we did three years ago.

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

...to bring Airemy Lin home and start tanking.