1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why no "White Panther"?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DarkHorse, Mar 21, 2018.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

No so we agree?

I was an Elway fan. Seriously.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yet, you indicated it was important that Williams succeeded in the Super Bowl even though it had no direct impact on education or other important aspects of life in the black community. So why can’t the most successful black cast and helmed movie of all time be important? In your own words, neither one had a direct impact on black lives.

3. amaru

amaru Member

?

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Doug Williams refused to move to the back of the chartered plane.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I said there was a clear prejudice against black quarterbacks that was still there

Blacks have been starring in and making movies for decades

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You don't know the causes and you're not honest about the causes. Other than that, great talk.

Do you think trash talking Black Panther and the people who've supported it is the way to stop black middle class neighborhoods from falling apart? Are you on drugs?

o_O

7. bobrek

But neither one had an impact on black society which is seemingly what your complaint against Black Panther was. It was ‘no progress’ and that blacks should be more concerned about education, crime, family, etc. So, even though Williams was the first black QB to win a Super Bowl in a league of a handful of black QBs, there was ‘no progress’ in those important items you mention.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't what point you're making. They are symbols but we shouldn't put too much stock in them as progress

Or kids will grow up trying to be pro athletes instead of learning math

Which happens in reality

#148 pgabriel, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I haven't trash talked the movie

On another you're putting words in my mouth

10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

That's already been questioned.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

"Talkin' 'bout that science, b****es."

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  12. bobrek

Edit - I typed a bunch of other stuff but I'm done. Clearly @pgabriel is in the minority of blacks that don't see a hugely popular movie that stars an almost all black cast and was helmed by black film makers as progress. He doesn't see the possibility that a black kid will go to that movie and say "wow, I can actually identify with those actors on the screen". He doesn't see the possibility that studios will green light more black led projects because Black Panther has shown that it can make money on a world wide basis across racial lines. He doesn't see that may open more doors in entertainment for black film directors, producers, writers and "idea men". He doesn't see the possibility that black parents can tell their kids they can have a real career in the movie business and they can point to recent examples. He doesn't see that in many people it can be a sense of pride.

Nope....since a movie doesn't solve or advance education issues, crime issues, familial issues, etc. it can not be seen as progress.

Screw it...no reason to have sports, entertainment or anything in our life UNLESS it leads to solving problems. No reason for that 2-3 hours of escapism because world hunger remains. No reason to open doors for bigger paychecks and bigger opportunities for minorities because there are too many single heads of households.

If the Rockets win a championship this year - so what. No progress. They've done it before.

FranchiseBlade and Deckard like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

I would like pgabs to explain Tyler Perry.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's like you don't understand word meanings. We're on page 8 of you trash talking the movie and it's importance. This after another long thread in which you did the same thing.

So, what are the causes of the loss of black middle class neighborhoods? You keep talking about what black people should be focused on but you're the one who keeps rambling about a movie. Let's talk about the issues. Go.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Great post, bobrek. He won't "get it" and will reply with 2 or 3 sentences that will make no sense, but you tried. :cool:

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Bro we've done movies

We've done sports

Chicago just had it's worst murder rate in years. Young black men

Black Panther ain't bringing them back

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Because we are focused on movies and not problems. The movie is cool. It's not a milestone. We. should just treat it as what it is a movie. When we do otherwise we lose focus on making real progress

It wouldn't be so bad but when you try to address internal problems, people wanna bury their heads

Go

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't know why I respond to dumb **** like he only typed 2 sentences

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Black people might also want to combat racism and discrimination within the system and have people be okay when they make breakthroughs like getting studio support, acting and directing in major blockbusters.

Most of the successful films by black filmmakers have been done independently. It isn't as if they aren't doing those things.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So there are and have been black movies?