1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why.... Nachbar?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aka ace, Sep 27, 2002.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

never have seen either, want to see both. But only Baki do well, ow well...

Go Rice -- and bring that deadly 'J'...

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Simply put, Boki shows he can be our own version of Stojakovic. That's worth the gamble. (If he is that good, though, we're gonna have some major-a$$ salary cap problems in the future; but we'll worry about paying greatness when the time comes.)

Also, do you remember when Q-Woods was drafted? His interview? Please don't anybody jump on me for this, but I think sometimes coaches and GMs pass on, um, uncoachable players? I realize few NBA players will qualify for Mensa, and that some players, like anyone, can be very shy and let their game speak for them, but sometimes a player can give a vibe and the coaches might feel, "We won't be able to reach this guy. We might be wrong, but I'd rather go with him."

Boki seemed very poised, bright, he spoke English well, and man, when someone says he wants to be a Rocket, dammit, that says a lot. He was clearly our targeted player because before the draft when CD was asked about him, ole boy just hemmed and hawed, "Yeah, we brought him in, he's decent, we looked at other players too" (message: don't ask me to praise the guy we want!)

3. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Boki was the only guy who wrote an appreciation letter to the Rockets organization for letting him work out for them. So a little kiss ass goes a long way. Just kidding. Actually, that really shows class and desire. His sharp-shooting and fiendish dunking is just a plus!

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If Boki has an inside game as they say he does, and Boki has an outside game as they say he does (shot a ridiculous percentage from 3 point land during a workout for the Rockets), what more do you want other than defense?

I mean, an inside/outside game is worth everything in my opinion - even at the expense of some defense. It's what will make Steve and Cuttino nearly unstoppable on offense. Ming and Griffin's defensive presence are what could make the Rockets good on defense. We won a championship thanks to interior defense (thanks Hakeem) and no thanks to Kenny Smith's no-lateral-movement-havin'-matador-defense. Team offense and team defense. That's all that matters because you're not going to have a stud at every position.

Boki's proven he can play - Qyntel has yet to prove jack.

5. lpbman

lpbman Member

same here, don't let it get ya down SteveF

6. The Fever

The Fever Member

The whole league is flocking to Euro players because they are more fundamentally sound, play team ball, and in Nachbar's specific case, he SHOT THE LIGHTS OUT when he tried out for the Rockets. We all know how Rudy looooooves shooters.

Qyntel Woods will be just another average NBA player. The Rox don't need another Ruben Patterson on the team. Nachbar will come in with the fresh attitude, and he will work hard for everything he accomplishes. Woods strikes me as another NBA player who thinks the world owes him something, rather than the other way around.

If you heard reports that the Rox wanted him at #5 if that was their pick, they may have been throwing smokescreens to the other teams so someone else would take him. That way the Rox could get someone way better than Woods. There is no way you spend a top 15 pick on someone whose best experience is Juco Ball. High Schoolers are a better pick than a JUCO player because of their age. They can still be molded, such as Rashard or Kobe.

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

deleted.

#27 glynch, Sep 27, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2002
  8. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

No, you spend your No. 1 pick on a player with less experience...

;)

9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

One of the most interesting threads lately. Can't say I know. The hype on Woods had me excited, a Tracy McGrady type.

I guess I feel Boki is at this point much more of an unknown than Ming. Unlike Ming, pre WBC, there doesn't seem to be any skepticism about Boki.

I'm always ooptimistic when it comes to the Rockets, but how do you all know Boki is so good? Is it just that the Euro League is so respected, now, that most studs there will do well in the NBA? Has anyone see enough of his games, against top notch competition to be sure?..

Oh well, we will know for sure within about two to three weeks.

10. Cipherous

Cipherous Contributing Member

Plus Rice is getting old, in a few years, Nachbar could be the next Peja with more slashing.

11. verse

verse Contributing Member

ROXTXIA:

come on now. you can say it. no need to put on the tap dancing show. the word for today is:

STUPID.

quintel seemed stupid.

stupid
    stupid
    stupid.

12. aka ace

aka ace Rookie

Don't get me wrong I liked when the Rockets chose Nachbar at #15, but how can you tell Qyntel is going to be an average player? When some compare him to Tracy McGrady. I just don't get that.

There is no way you spend a top 15 pick on someone whose best experience is Juco Ball.[/QUOTE]

Kedrick Brown ring a bell? He was the 11th pick in the 2001 draft, he hasn't lived up to his potential because Pierce/Smith is playing his position.

What about Steve Francis? He played JUCO ball, I bet he would have been a first round pick if he didn't play that 1 year in Maryland, because scouts were already on him when he was playing street ball in Washington.

If both Nachbar and Woods live up to their potential Nachbar will be a Stoyakovich that can dunk and Woods will be a taller version of Tracy McGrady. It makes you second guess who would you rather have at #15.

13. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

23 of 25 Threes.

In Yao Ming's coach's terms, "He's needs to get stronger and he should've shot 100%."

In layman's terms, Championship.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

A dunking Stojakovich or a taller McGrady? It's a no-brainer right? Except that Nachbar looks much more like a dunking Stojakovich than Woods looks like a taller T-Mac at this point.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

OK, there it is. He wasn't the sharpest stick in the bundle.

16. mav3434

mav3434 Member

IMO

QW = TMO v2.0
    TMO v1.0 = suck

QW= suck

maybe he'll prove me wrong...

but hopefully not because of this:

BN = DL v2.0
    DL v1.0 = NBA d league wannabe

which would suck.

17. RocketsRuuule

RocketsRuuule Member

This is a great thread. I was thinking about this the other day. Whenever the rockets drafted Boki, I was at the draft party. There was a lot of boos when they said Boki's name. There were more boos then there were cheers. I remember turning to my gf and telling her...that I dont know what they are booing about, I think we may have gotten a peja that dunks.

So if anyone else was at the draft party should know what I am talking bout. I also saw a couple of Rockets players that were there...Tierre Brown shaked his head when the Rockets picked him. My gf thought it was funny because I told her...that just means that Tierre isn't going to be on the roster much longer, so why should he even care what the rockets pick. He is just going to be another Shawn Colsen...(sp)

I am not saying that Tierre wont be on the team, I was just talking smack because I liked it when the rockets picked Boki.

But I think that when people starting watching video and hearing resports about Boki their minds change. I know most people there at the draft party wanted Woods. I for one didn't. Also I think people are soo excited about the draft, that they are wanting to support the Rockets, which is what good fans do.

Boki I think is going to rock and surprise everyone. I love Yao, but Boki is going to be just as important in securing the 3 spot for us for a long time I hope!

18. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

seems like your gf gets all the scoop... lol
    but yea i was one of them people at home hoping we would get Qyntel Woods cause i didn't know anything about Boki. I still haven't seen how Bokis game is but i can't wait.

19. RocketsRuuule

RocketsRuuule Member

Yes, she did get all the scoops...that is the only reason why I keep her around, to make sure I can contribute something to the bbs...hehe, dont tell her that though.

But she was able to get moochie and cuttino and tierre's signitures..and I didn't get jack.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

argh. I am too stupid! :mad: Who is DL? David Lynch?

QW = [cos(TMo)*exp(-TMac/MoT)]^(1/BN) :mad: :confused: