1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Morey is still a genius - or how Houston's free agency unravelled

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Aug 14, 2014.

1. TheJet

TheJet Member

The first paragraph here really speaks volumes. When we were that "little engine that could" squad, no one expected playoffs and any wins or playoff pushes were just a bonus. Now that we have more legit talent expectations are way higher. Too high, I thought going in to last year. I didn't expect a WCF appearance. I was expecting a second round exit with a good showing. Then during the season the team started showing flashes of crazy good play. Expectations rose even higher. Things started flaming out at the end of the season around the time Sampson left. I don't think that's coincidence. The team just could get it back together and looked discombobulated vs. Portland. It was very frustrating, but maybe it was the growth experience they needed.

As for Morey, I think he at least deserves some credit for getting the big pieces together. The fact that we have higher expectations for this team than those overachieving "role player" teams is because we now have the stars to carry a team. IF we can get them the surround cast and coaching to bring it all together.

Think of it like this: A few years back we had a hell of a chef trying to make a gourmet meal from ramen noodles and five day old ground chuck. He used all the skill and spices he had on hand but the best we could get was a decent meal. Now we have some choice filets but the preparation is lacking. The dish is better but nowhere near its potential.

So would you rather have the decent meal knowing it will never be great, or the potential for one of the better meals of the year?

2. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

94? lol. I've been watching Rocket games since Rodney Mcray, Jim Peterson, Sleepy Floyd & Luis Lloyd. Back when Doug Finch was coaching & Rocket games were broadcasted on HSE. I have ZERO attatchment to Daryl Morey like most of you. Nobody else makes him out to be a hero other than the few idiot posters on here. Sp if my perspective of Daryl Morey being mediocre is truly "unintelligent", then that should make the rest of the world outside of clutchfans "unintelligent" as well?

Let me stop wasting my time:rolleyes:

3. craguin

craguin Member

You meant Lewis Lloyd and Bill Fitch, right?

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

lol. I love it when people rattle off names of guys from the past that they supposedly watched as proof that they were around back then and were watching. Very well could be true, but anyone can google lineups and coaches from the past and say that's who they grew up watching.

5. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Rodney McCray*

definitely didn't help his point with the multiple spelling errors haha

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Ha, this is classic. :grin:

7. ZomgZ

ZomgZ Member

James Harden - Allstar
    Dwight Howard - Aging Allstar
    Ariza - Above Avg Role Player

Rest of team terrible roleplayers + Scrubs

Its spells 8th seed everywhere, and the fact of matter that this team could get bounced out of the 8th seed by the suns troubles nobody at this point. everyone stayed the same and dallas got better , and phx will just be as good...

Still nobody seems to really care, honestly i would just trade Harden and Howard for mulitple first round overall picks and rebuild.. I don't think you can win a championship with these 2, and the fact nobody wants to come to play in houston with these 2, i would just rebuild....

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

good thing you're not in charge

9. Jakey

Jakey Member

Haha!! I know right?! He spelled Petersen wrong too.

10. houtown

houtown Member

Morey does deserve credit since he has done a very good job as GM with the roster while here, but i wouldn't call him a genius yet. I am still skeptical about whether mathematics and analytics can translate into championship success by itself on a consistent basis.

11. traveler

traveler Member

Math and analytics are just tools.

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

2 top 15 players. 2 above average role players(Bev and Ariza). Up and coming young guy(Jones) and unproven role players and bench.

Unproven doesn't mean they will not give us what we need. We don't need these guys to be potential 6th man of the year candidates.

ONLY way we miss the playoffs is injury to Howard or Harden. My money is on finishing 4th-6th.

This how I see our chances of finishing in certain spots with our team as is. And I really don't think this is our team by the trade deadline.

4th - 35%
    5th - 35%
    6th - 15%
    7th - 10%

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 8th or lower - 5%

13. akeemshook

akeemshook Member

Frenchman, amirite?

14. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

what are you talking about? you dont go rebuilding when you have the best player alive...

15. valorita

valorita Member

Morey plays chess while DosEquis guy plays checkers.

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>Petyr Baelish RT <a href="https://twitter.com/dzamaboy">@dzamaboy</a>: <a href="https://twitter.com/dmorey">@dmorey</a> who's your favorite role player?</p>&mdash; Daryl Morey (@dmorey) <a href="https://twitter.com/dmorey/status/508316938112888832">September 6, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Since you've once again publicly embarrassed yourself, I think it's time to stop posting.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL. That made me spit up my beer man!! :grin:

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Morey is a Littlefinger fan, crazy!

20. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

All my criticism of your favorite GM has been said before by ppl around the NBA. YOU are the embarrassment for ignoring the facts and making pathetic excuses for Morey. Again, the MAJORITY ppl don't think as highly of Daryl Morey as you do. Your high praise for him is only shared by a small percentage of idiot fans who follow boxscores over actually watching the game.

FYI, I'm on my Iphone so the spelling might be sloppy. So if that's all y'all got on me, have at it. No sweat