1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Morey doesn't go after Paul? Intriguing question and interesting answers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, Jul 25, 2010.

?

Two-year experiment with Paul is good or bad for Rockets?

Poll closed Aug 24, 2010.
  1. Yes, they will become a true-contender. We should try to win a championship right now

67.6%
  2. No. we will lose to much for this risky move

32.4%
  1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I assumed that's what he must have meant, although it isn't what he posted. Having said that, his post still doesn't make sense. Adelman will play whoever is the most effective.

2. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Is it just me who think that CP3 style of play will not fit in our system...?

3. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

It bears repeating that you adapt your system to the players that you have, specifically your best players. A coach trying to force his system onto players that isn't fit to it is doomed to have a short stint. Adelman had to dumb down and alter his system because the players he's had in previous seasons weren't picking it up as fast as he wanted them to.

That said, I think CP3 would excel in the Princeton offense. If AB can flourish under Adelman, I don't see why CP3 can't.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Oh come on Deckard, you know exactly what I meant.

You don't pay a guy as much as Lowry if you have someone like CP3 who will play almost 40 minutes a game.

CP3 would make both AB and Lowry obsolete.

DD

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wasn't Battier playing hurt towards the end of the season?

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

no, they benched him for the season once he got hurt to let Bud play more.

7. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

There are two questions with obtaining CP3 I have that are due to the upcoming CBA negotiations.

First, is that given the likelihood of a lockout next year becoming more of a certainty, trading for CP3 would mean 1 year (or perhaps less if it is during the season), and hopefully for 1 shortened season next year in a lockout year. Does that change the Rockets thinking?

There is even the possibility of that year being completely lost, though not likely. how would a shortened season help or perhaps hurt the Rockets chances? A 40-50 game sprint is an entirely different animal than the 82 game marathon. This would be complicated because no one knows how Yao will be next year and if he will be with the team.

Not to mention this team will undergo a major change again next year with Battier & AB (if not traded) and Yao up for new contracts. We won't have much of cap space, and since we have no idea what a new CBA will do we don't know how much the team can do. I find it difficult for this team to make any new major FA acquisition.

The second issue is that everyone continually assumes Chris Paul's wishes to opt out in 2 years.

Yes, he wants to be on a contending team, but the issue people forget is that next year we will have a new CBA. One in which it is currently assumed to have much stricter limits on the lengths and amounts of max contracts. If this is to be the case, as much as Paul may want to be on the Knicks or whatever, would we really say no to $18 million when he may not get anywhere close to that that year, and instead wait another year.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well, I figured that was what you meant, which I said in my post, but I simply disagree with what you continue to say, which is that Lowry is history if we trade AB in a deal for CP. I don't think that's the case at all. If we don't move Brooks before his rookie deal expires, and he gets paid, do you expect the Rockets to "get rid" of Kyle? Heck, using your logic, they wouldn't want to keep him.

9. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Looks like our chances of aquiring CP3 have gotten higher it seems.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/25/okafors-contract-makes-chris-paul-to-orlando-unlikely/

http://www.nola.com/hornets/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-4/1280040009168510.xml&coll=1

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I expect that CP3 would be an 18million a year player and you would not be able to have $24 million wrapped up in one position, so if you got CP3, then yes, I think KL would go.

He would be wasted here, with CP3 playing all the minutes at PG, there would be nowhere for Kyle to play.

DD