1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why lie?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by countingcrow, Aug 29, 2001.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/1026379

Mariners' Martin may have lied about USC football career

Associated Press

SEATTLE -- Seattle Mariners' left fielder Al Martin apparently never played football at Southern California in the 1980s as he has claimed for years, a newspaper reported Tuesday.

Coaches and players at Southern California and at Martin's high school in West Covina, Calif., said they have no knowledge of Martin ever attending or playing at the university, The Seattle Times reported.

Southern California has no record that Martin ever enrolled, received scholarship money or played in a game, the paper said.

The Mariners' information guide says Martin "attended the University of Southern California on a football scholarship" and "played two seasons at strong safety for the Trojans."

Mariners spokesman Tim Hevly, who spoke with a school official, said the erroneous information would be removed from the guide's next edition, The Times reported.

The issue came up when Martin told a Times reporter this spring that crashing into teammate Carlos Guillen during a Mariners' game reminded him of a 1986 football game between Southern California and Michigan.

"For some reason, probably because I was young and dumb, I decided I could make a head-on stop of (Michigan's) Leroy Hoard," Martin told the Times in May. "I hit him, or rather he hit me. You remember those big tree-trunk legs Hoard had? That's what hit me."

Southern California did not play Michigan in 1986. The teams did not meet in the decade until the 1989 Rose Bowl.

When asked about the discrepancy last month, Martin told The Times he would provide proof the next day. That hasn't happened, the paper said, and Martin has declined to comment further on the record.

The Mariners were playing Tuesday in Tampa Bay, Fla. The Associated Press was not immediately able to reach Martin there for comment on the Times story.

2. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Why lie?

So there can be hilarious takes on Jim Rome of course.

4. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

I played for the Gators last season, starting center. :)

5. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

I used to be a sunshine ass.

6. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I'm actually the Starting Center for the Lakers

7. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

i cant beleive i actually traded to get this guy back in the sim! My team does accept whiners (frank thomas) cheaters, losers and ugly people BUT I WILL NOT ACCEPT LYERS.... ALL SIM PEOPLE, the official al martin fire sale has begun.....

8. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Thought I would pass on a portion of an article by Jim Rome

"The guy is a bald-faced liar. Unbelievable. Well, actually it's not: You might recall that Martin was reportedly married to two different women at the same time. Of course, that would make Al a liar. And a bigamist. How he worked that daily double I have no idea.

My man is a legend. We've already busted him a call for a sit-down on this show. I need to hear more about his football playing days in the Pac-10. Or about his heroic exploits in Desert Storm. I want to hear what it was like the first time he walked on the moon, and about his days as an international spy.

In fact, all of this reminds me of Game 2 of the NBA finals in 1980, when Dr. J took off from the free-throw line and jammed on me. I'll never forget it: My rookie year, at the Forum here in Los Angeles, and I remember thinking at the time: No way J, not in my house, not in front of my peeps. Of course we all remember how that went -- a tomahawk jam right in my grille. I was young and dumb; what are you going to do?

Al Martin … Are you kidding me? Forgive me if I never believe another word that comes out of that guy's mouth. Al Martin is a pathological liar. "

9. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I think Tim Johnson was coaching that USC team that played Michigan in the Vietnam Bowl.