1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Trading Sengun? Stop me if you've heard me talk about this one. We're talking #Rockets LIVE right now ...

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Why Kobe won't win the MVP

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DrRafay, Apr 8, 2008.

1. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

Scoop Jackson has been the worst sports columnist in modern sports history. His simple mind places everything in extremities and nothing in shades of gray. This may not be his worst article, but it's a typical example of how he thinks.

So if Kobe gets 3rd place in the voting this season then his whole article is wrong. After all, he must be liked enough to receive the necessary votes to win 3rd place, and losing behind a guy like Chris Paul isn't going to be something that's close to evidence that Kobe was robbed.

Kobe isn't going to win it this year for the same reason Kevin Garnett shouldn't win it. He has abundant help and his team's not in first place ( hopefully ). CP3, on the other hand, doesn't have much help and his team is in first place.

What a dumbass. Jason Whitlock was right.

2. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

* Correction: Garnett's team is actually in third place. My point is still valid.

3. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

* I mean first place. Dammit. Give us an edit button, Clutch. I hate to look like I'm spamming. :(

4. OrangeCountyCA

that's why you should use the preview button.

Anyway, I think chris paul actually has had a better supporting cast than kobe for this season :eek:

Kobe' supporting cast has missed a lot of games and has had injuries throughout the entire season.

5. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

I don't agree with this article, Kobe Bryant isn't hated by no one, you can hate him but he proves you wrong from night to night.

Anyway, people mix of what's really the MVP award...

Most valuable player isn't the player who makes his stats better but the player who makes players around himself much better that leads to a impressive record, see Steve Nash, Michael Jordan, Allen Iverson!

Altough Kobe may win the best individua in this league, truth is that he wasn't MVP on a bad team, that's wrong, if thats the case why LeBron isnt in MVP voting? Because his team sucks no matter how good he really is.

This year stuff are going upwards for Kobe, he's in a good position to win a MVP award and get that achievement but Chris Paul deserves it too.

It'll be interesting, Paul has a breakdown Stockton like season.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

KG for MVP!

7. jajayao

jajayao Member

The joke is the fact that people will IMMEDIATELY rate C/PF's as better defenders than guards regardless of watching games. If you don't think so, in the past 10 years, there has only been 1 person under 6' 8" to win DPOY.... Ron Artest in 04. When was the last time someone under 6' 5" to win it? Gary Payton, in 96.

Kobe was defensive 1st team in 05-06, last year, and a lock for at minimum, 2nd team this year. Lets not forget KG has never been DPOY(nor has Kobe), and was defensive 2nd team last year. So how does that make KG a better defender again? Just because he plays a completely different position and is a lot taller? Exactly.

8. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Just look at the defense their teams are playing, and Boston relative to last year as well. Or maybe Ray Allen has been the difference maker, think not.

No way Kobe has anywhere near the influence on defense as KG does.

True a couple of wings have gotten it or gotten close (Artest, Bowen) but those guys always guard opponents tougher match and work every play defensively. Kobe isn't at their level of a defensive presence.

And yes, tall quick guys do have a bias in DPY--because size, quickness and length matter greatly in defensive impact--see Hakeem. In fact it has always mattered in basketball, see Russell.

9. jajayao

jajayao Member

Last time I checked Pau Gasol has only played 20 something games with the Lakers this season and just came back from injury. Bynum has only played 30 something games too, and they have never all played together at the same time. So yeah, Kobe has played with a crappier supporting cast throughout 07-08.

Full season with David West >>>> 20 games of Pau Gasol
    Full season with Tyson Chandler >>>> 30 games of Bynum

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The player that has a greater impact on a game defensively is the better defensive player.

11. jajayao

jajayao Member

KG is a great defender don't get me wrong, but I don't get how KG's defense is better this year than say last year under the TWolves when he 2nd team defensive team. His stats this year are down in all categories, Offensive Rebounds, Defensive Rebounding, and Blocks. His minutes have also been less, but then again his foul's per game is still the same as last year. What makes him DPOY or the best big man defender this year, but not last year?

As for the Celtics, they have been playing great defense not only because of KG, but the whole perspective of defense has improved for the Celtics. Anybody remember a guy named Tom Thibodeau? Not to mention Rajon Rondo, Paul Pierce, Perkins are playing great defense too. Some people even have Rajon ranked as a top 3 defensive point guard(not that I would agree 100% with).

I just don't get how people will immediately crown KG for bringing defense to the Celtics, when so many things have changed for them during the off season to bring them where they are today. Its similar to how people love to make the best player on the best team = MVP, it just doesn't always make sense.

12. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

He makes some good points:

Read

13. jajayao

jajayao Member

Good read. Interesting to point out is that fact that in every position there is a Celtic mentioned.

14. Desert Scar

Laying out some text.

Third team: Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers (4.21)
    Superstar players generally aren't asked to take on tough defensive assignments until late in games. But Bryant is asked to do it more often than most, and it's a job he does very well, making him a third-team pick for a second straight season.

Of particular note is that his D didn't appear to wane one iota after he suffered a midseason pinkie injury that will require surgery at some point in the offseason.

First team and defensive player of the year: Kevin Garnett, Boston (8.22)
    Yes, Garnett's defensive stats have been huge, but they tell only a fraction of the story. Boston was a middling defensive team a year ago, and it wasn't clear that trading for Ray Allen made it any better.

In other words, the entire jump from 18th in defensive efficiency a year ago to third all-time this season can pretty much be laid at the feet of Garnett. His intensity on the court is palpable, but perhaps even more important is how he has affected Pierce and the bench guys. I'm not sure whether that translates to MVP -- not when Chris Paul is saving basketball in New Orleans -- but if he doesn't win the defensive player of the year award, there needs to be an investigation, because he's been absolutely spectacular.

15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Kobe has played around 20-22 games without either Bynum or Gasol, and the lakers are around .500 over that span (slightly over I believe). Without that key 3rd star, they still have had Odom and what some consider one of the best benches in basketball. The Hornets have been without a bench for the majority of the season. Which do you think is more important?

16. lakaluva

lakaluva Member

The MVP award is a joke. It has become like American politics. You dont have to be the best player to win the award, only the most liked. It's obivious when Kobe steps on the floor, no matter who it's against... he's the best player on the floor hands down. All you have to do is ask the other MVP candidates who the best player in the league is? They will all say Kobe.

17. Desert Scar

It is a Most Valuable Player award. It isn't an award for the player with the best individual skills. The MVP award over the history of the NBA has almost always gone to a player on an elite team, usually a conference winner--it isn't like the criteria have changed much if any.

18. jajayao

jajayao Member

One of the best benches in basketball???

Turiaf, Ariza, VladRad, Farmar, Vujacic, DJ Mbenga.... this team hardly constitutes a great bench. I'd take the Rockets bench over that squad any day of the week.... and believe me, we aren't known as being a very deep team.

And since when is playing .500 ball that bad when you are out with your two key big men? The only person I can think of who've overcame more adversity this season is our main man Tracy McGrady(Loss of Yao), and Antwan Jamison(Loss of Gilbert, and Caron Butler for 20 games). Chris Paul and Kg's team has been relatively healthy throughout the season, so I don't see how you would have any basis to compare them to Kobe in that regard.

19. bbinchina

bbinchina Member

Anyway, I support CP, I'd vote for him. His season has been magnificent. It's great to watch his game. He is giving us a show-time

20. OrangeCountyCA

So you don't consider Kobe as show-time? If so, you either don't watch any Lakers game or are flooded in so much Kobe hatred that you can't appreciate his game.