1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Josh Smith and not Paul Millsap?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Adam_Sweeney, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Adam_Sweeney

Adam_Sweeney Member

I see a ton of buzz surrounding Josh Smith and I get that he's the sexy pick, but what is the downside to looking at Paul Millsap? His contract is more manageable and would offer the Rockets a bit more cap space to bolster their bench, his PER rating is higher ( Millsap is 30th in the NBA at 19.89 to Smith's 17.82, which is 64th), and his shooting percentages (FG, 3 PT, FT) are all greater. Also, he's one hell of a player coming out of a pick and roll. Who else loves the pick and roll? Oh right, Dwight Howard and James Harden.

Compare the two salaries:

Millsap: 28 yrs old, 4yr $32m

Smith: 27 yrs old, 5yr $58m

Now, granted, you take whoever you can get at the position and if you are guaranteed that Dwight Howard will sign only if Smith comes along, that's the move you make. I just think Millsap fits the Rockets mold better and am surprised we haven't heard about the Rockets making a run at him.

Thoughts?

2 people like this.
  2. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

If dwight wants him, then thats reason enough...

3. nimzoray

nimzoray Member

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Because Josh Smith is better than Paul Millsap?

5. Panda23

Panda23 Member

This

/thread

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Defense and transition. They want to dominate the paint defensively and they want to get dunks in transition. Plus they're good friends so it fits.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

Numerous metrics(and eye tests) have Smith as one of the best defenders in the entire NBA. Some years even DPOY material.

Millsap? Mediocre on defense at best.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

He also matches up extremely well against the Thunder, Spurs, Grizzlies, and as good as any against Miami.

Millsap on the other hand tends to get punked by the gang of 4.

9. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

JSmoove... period. Does Millsap have a nickname?!?!?!? If your a good player, you suppose to have a nickname.

10. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

Milsap has better offense, Smith better defense. Right now we're in need of D. But who knows who would actually be the better fit playing and chemisty wise? I personally would rather have Milsap, but its not my choice. Just hope we end up with either one. Both are so much better than what we had last year.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

I would rather have Ryan Anderson than either of them. But honestly, any of the three would be nice fits. Keeping Asik would also be fine by me. We have plenty of good options should Dwight sign--always a nice place to be.

12. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

smith fits our system aalot better than milsap. plus way better on defense and passing. milsap does have the stretch 4 edge tho

im not againt milsap, and think he should be on morey's 2nd tier fa list.

13. Adam_Sweeney

Adam_Sweeney Member

JSmoove certainly didn't get that name from his shooting ability. If he can stop taking ill-advised shots and display maturity, I'm all for it.

To me, Smith and Millsap are the polar opposites of each other. Smith has always relied on his other-worldly athleticism, and is without a doubt a solid defensive presence, but has suffered from poor shot selection, a questionable attitude and middling work ethic. He is not a player you want on the court when you're down two or three at the end of the game. Plus, his free throw shooting is atrocious, at 51% this season. Wouldn't we be getting a similar issue with Howard?

Millsap, on the other hand, is slightly undersized and can't jump out of the gym but knows his role and possesses the motor and attitude coaches love. He won't jump out of the gym or protect the rim like Smith, it's true, but he's one of the more underrated players in the league. And he's not a liability on offense that will throw up brick after brick. Like Chris Bosh, he would force his defender to come outside out of respect for his mid-range shooting.

I went back through some of the threads and found some solid links, courtesy of 2016 Champions about his defense.

I'm not saying I'd throw a fit if we land Smith but I don't think the gap between he and Millsap, especially when considering how much each is going to demand in free agency, is that far apart. I think Millsap would relish the role as the third scorer but Smith's attitude and need to be a star concerns me a touch.

14. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Morey mentioned before that they need an elite perimeter defender to win a championship.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Steals and blocks.

16. Chamillionaire

Brewer. Give him the Minimum. Get Iggy or JSmoove after Dwight.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Brewer is a must

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

It's a fair question.

Josh Smith does not fit offensively next to a player like D12.

19. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Offense is not a problem for us... Harden, Parsons, Lin

Defense is where we are weak and Howard and JSmoove would be a perfect defensive combo.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I would rather have Millsap, but I must be one of the very few with that opinion. I see a JSmith/Dwight frontcourt not being so smooth. Plus, I think teams would love Smith to shoot outside jumpers all day and therefore would be more able to collapse on Lin/Harden/Parsons when they penetrate.