1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it needs to be Mobley...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 27, 2021.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

I already explained in detail in this thread why I had Green over Mobley and what I thought Mobley’s upside was.

me saying that Green is likely Lavine doesn’t mean that he’s gonna follow Lavine’s exact career arc so Idk why you’re even asking about that, it’s not a relevant question…and the main reason I say Lavine is because Idk if Green will be more than an average playmaker, but just because Idk doesn’t mean it can’t happen

u keep bringing up Bosh as if he was a superstar and led his team anywhere as the man…What did Gasol do in Memphis? U bring up their names as if they were that guy. Nobody cared about Gasol until he was 2nd fiddle to Kobe, and Bosh until he was 3rd fiddle behind Bron and Wade

DeBeards, Mr Woods, Dobbizzle and 3 others like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Chris Bosh led his team to the playoffs twice in 7 seasons as the man in Toronto…won 3 playoff games…Toronto had multiple trash seasons

Gasol led his team to the playoffs twice in 6 seasons as the man in Memphis…won 0 playoff games…Memphis with multiple trash seasons

looks like Lavine will finally be leading the Bulls to a playoff berth

Gasol, Bosh, Lavine…none of them are #1 guys

Gasol was irrelevant before Kobe

Bosh irrelevant before Wade and Bron

put Lavine as 2nd fiddle behind Embiid in Philly and see how much better the Sixers would be…he’d probably be viewed in a whole different light because there’d be some success to go with those boxscore numbers

so let’s not act like Bosh and Gasol were just out there tearing up the league

3. NewAge

NewAge Member

right, the thing is that both Gasol and Bosh had much better career in MEM, TOR than LaVine in Minny. the point about Gasol/Bosh, is exactly because they were not superstars on the Jordan/Kobe level that it made sense to pass on Mobley for JG. If you're saying we pass on Mobley for Zach LaVine, that's not quite doing it for me, especially given how mediocre he was in Minny.

That's fine, if you sincerely think that the desired outcome is Zach Lavine on an accelerated timeline, that's fine. I respect that and will keep it in mind. We'll have to see how much more upside LaVine has, but as of now that's not a player that's your #1 option for a championship team. So in your view, we don't have that type of player in JG?

4. Nook

Nook Member

I agree that Green is a swing for the fences, for a franchise type guy that every team needs. A shooting guard that can score 30+ a game is close to the ideal in the NBA and Green has the confidence, athleticism and touch to be that type of player. Having said that, Green is a bigger risk than someone like Barnes or Mobley.

Barnes and Mobley are both elite defenders right out of the box. I was in favor or Mobley or Barnes at #2 but I understood the Green pick. Ill just say that Barnes especially, is easier to build around than Green. I think Barnes will be an all star and possibly a superstar. Green hasn't impressed me at all but it is still early.

I would say that Bosh wasn't as skilled as Mobley is and wasn't as smooth an athlete. Bosh was faster than Mobley is though. Bosh and Gasol were GREAT Robin's but not Batman type players. The Rockets will need one of those too, but the #1 franchise guy is the hardest player to get in the league.

Deuce, DeBeards, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

Why are u bringing up what he did in Minnesota? Who cares about that. What’s important is what the ultimate outcome is, not how u did your 1st few years.

Lol, neither Bosh or Gasol were #1 option on a championship team type players, they weren’t even close…and that’s who keep bringing up for Mobley, so what exactly is your point? You’re just contradicting yourself now.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  6. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

I remember when Green was in High school, and people were really hyped about his athleticism. As crazy as it sounds like now, there were people believing Green's lower bound is Kobe and upper bound is Goat (better than MJ).

DeBeards and daywalker02 like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Green is hyped too much, he can still be an Allstar or borderline superstar but the hype was unreal.

He is about that InstaGram influencer lyfe.

DeBeards likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

definitely a swing for the fences type player

I say Lavine, but that’s the high end outcome I would bet my money on. There are a few ways he can be better than a Zach Lavine. Either his playmaking gets to a different tier where he can be a legit combo guard, or he becomes someone who is elite at getting to the line. His ability to put up points is what I’m most confident in, although we’ll see just how efficient he ends up being. Playmaking and elite free throw rate I’m not really confident in, but one can hope.

he is a bigger risk than Mobley, because there is an outcome where Green is just a chucker and mediocre playmaker who doesn’t defend, and I’m confident that Mobley will be elite defensively and good offensively making his impact greater than some 1 dimensional scorer

DeBeards, D-rock, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.
  9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I can't agree with this in anyway unless you are talking about defense. Bosh is about 10 steps ahead of Mobley offensively, and I would say Mobley would never reach Bosh's level on offense.

Bosh was consistently criticized when he was in Toronto for his lackluster defense, lack of strength in the paint, and unwillingness to battle with centers physically. during his peak in Toronto, that team was one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA.

Bosh was also very polished and almost elite in almost all aspect on offense for a power forward. There weren't really any holes in his offensive game, except for banging in the low post. He had a consistent mid range jumper, and bunch of go to moves from the high post. He had good footwork in the low post too, but was a bit too weak.

Honestly I don't think Bosh nor Gasol are good comparisons to Mobley. Mobley is a defensive minded player with raw offense potentials. Pau and Bosh were both great offensive power forwards.

10. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I was on the Mobley train, I’m glad he’s doing ok.

I’m curious how Cade Cunningham plays if he plays better than Green aswell I’d be worried.

D-rock likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

I am talking about overall.

Mobley right now is more skilled than Bosh was when he entered the league at the same age. Bosh was quicker than Mobley is at the same age though.

Bosh was not a good defender when he entered the league but became a very good defender later in his career. He wasn't even really a small ball center at first for the Raptors, that happened later on down the line.

It was the second half of his second season that Bosh started to improve offensively. Bosh was a horrid passer when he entered the league and he was not a very efficient or good post scorer. He got most his baskets on mid range jumpers and flashes to the basket. Now he improved, and by his third season was quite good. However a lot of Bosh's offense was predicated on his quickness when he entered the league.

D-rock and jiggyfly like this.
  12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I honestly don't see as high of a ceiling for either Mobley or Green. If Green were to become a Kobe Lite, it would take years of development, which I don't forsee happening. I do see a future of him developing into a Lavine, Beal etc. I also don't think Mobley will become Bosh or Gasol or AD offensively.

I thought before the draft that Green was the safer pick because he already played in a "man's league" and proved he could score there, while Mobley was too skinny to be a big man and by all means did not have many offensive tools.

I think the Narrative before the draft was that Both Suggs and Green were to be more NBA ready, while Mobley was a 7 foot unicorn project that could become something uniquely great in a few years. In fact the same was said about Scottie Barnes, that he might have the most potential out of everyone, but he was not NBA ready. Seems like the opposite happened based on the first few games.

13. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

We didn’t pass on drafting Cade. So him playing better than Green is irrelevant.

I’m more worried about Mobley and Barnes.

D-rock likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

But what about his skinny legs and high center of gravity?

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It's all about the situation--Mobley and Barnes have two things going for them that Green and Suggs do not and that's playing with (really good) veterans and being inserted into a starting lineup with competent point guards. Having a table setter that knows how to run the team/offense in Garland and VanVleet is a huge difference.

16. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I see your point, but Gasol was about to lead the Grizz to the Finals in 2015 before Draymond murdered half their roster, and Bosh never had Vucevic/DeRozan/Lonzo. Generally speaking your typical allstar guard has more impact than your typical allstar big yes. But Gasol technically was "tearing" up the league as the Grizz were a legit contender for a period while Gasol was the best center in the league. If Conley and Allen had stayed healthy and gotten past the Warriors then we were definitely getting steamrolled lol

-edit- im dumb you're talking about the other Gasol. The other Gasol was even better though

#1876 BigggReddd, Oct 29, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    DeBeards and jiggyfly like this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That narrative was by the people who wanted to draft Green no actual scout thought that.

The fact that you thought he had no offensive tools shows you had a blind spot when considering Mobley, no actual scouting report said that.

D-rock and Nook like this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

A great big man is more valuable than a great undersized 2.

D-rock likes this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

I thought Green could take a while because he was so weak and didn’t weigh much…thought it would take him a few seasons to be efficient so I would bring up how Beal and Lavine looked their 1st 4 years because people were acting like it’s just a given that Green would be a 20 point scorer from day 1

I never put much stock at all in the G-League because I think it’s harder to score in college and I felt like Cade, Mobley, and Suggs would have also done well down there

Cade is who I thought was the most NBA ready, and I thought Mobley if anything could just survive on putbacks, alley oops, etc offensively until he got stronger, would get bullied in the post defensively, but would be a nice shot blocker and perimeter defender from the jump

D-rock and jiggyfly like this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

the one thing about Mobley is that people would act like his ass is up at his neck and he has small shoulders, but then act like Giannis, KG, and AD didn’t look the same coming into the league

DeBeards, D-rock, cmoak1982 and 2 others like this.