1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it needs to be Mobley...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 27, 2021.

1. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Even clutch is on the Mobley train

D-rock likes this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

I remember Ron Artest bodying him because he was so weak

ThatboyPhuong likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

How do u feel about Jalen Green’s jumper? I think it looks a little weird. Think he can be an elite shooter?

Could u elaborate on what u mean by “work on his body like Harden and Wade?” Harden came into the league weighing 220, and Wade 212 although he was 22 years old. To me, his build is most similar to Zach Lavine’s. Both came into the league at 180, and I doubt Lavine weighs more than 200, but contact doesn’t seem to be an issue for him at his current weight and build.

jiggyfly, D-rock and Nook like this.
  4. i3artow i3aller

Ant has me excited for year two of JG.

DeBeards, Milos, Joe Rocket and 2 others like this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, it's not, it never was
    Absolutely! Maybe Green will be taking 22+ shots per game next year like Anthony Edwards so he can finally start scoring 20 points a game. His fans would love that and it would probably help tank yet again.

6. Nook

Nook Member

I think Jalen Green has a soft touch but inconsistent mechanics on his jumper. I don’t think he will ever be elite but can be a Vince Carter quality shooter which isn’t Reggie Miller or Steph Curry but better than almost all the athletic scoring guards. Right now he takes some poor shots.

Im not comparing his body type to Harden or Wade. However both of those players worked very hard on their core muscles and were not afraid of physical contact after getting stronger. Green will never be as strong as Harden/Wade but be can get more durable and able to seek out contact and still score.

Green has started a little slower than I expected, but he will be good in time. The red flag with him for me is that he has some parts of his game that are really inefficient.

Lavine is under rated and has improved a lot as a player. However his court vision is worse than Green’s.

jiggyfly and Reeko like this.
  7. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Silas being the person to help these guys grow is my biggest concern. He has proved nothing in his ability as a coach, he is continually given a pass, but I think he could end up doing harm with the young guys. I'm not even sure if having Wall mentor JG is a good idea either.

DeBeards, Joe Rocket and D-rock like this.
  8. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

I don't think Green is more athletic than Edwards. Edwards's vertical jump is as good as Green's, he is not as quick nor as agile, but you need to factor in that Edwards is almost 50 pounds heavier than Green. Once Green gets 20 more pounds of muscle, will he still be this quick? I doubt it.

DeBeards and Nook like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Missing u: Evan Mobley

That said, they’d still be 1-4/0-5 with Mobley

Milos, fattz, TimDuncanDonaut and 2 others like this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No matter whether we wanted Mobley or not, we have Green, and as Rox fans we want him to succeed wildly.

Let's hope in the end Green is a star player....
    DD

11. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Green over Mobley is probably going to turn out to be a mistake but Green can still be a very good player.

I don’t think this is going to be Bagley over Luka.

jiggyfly and DaDakota like this.
  12. NewAge

NewAge Member

this. that was the thinking in the summer and rationale for getting JG over Mobley.

Now it seems that his fans are setting their sights on being the next Zach laVine or Jordan Poole. If we end-up with LaVine-2/Bosh-2 that’s still not as bad as Thabeet/Harden or Bowie/MJ as far as #2/#3 misses. The problem I have is that LaVine took a long time and he’s just now putting it together in year 8 and second team. if that’s our hope now, I don’t think in this day and age you can afford to have a 7-8 year strategy for becoming competitive, therefore he’s not a foundational piece for this team, really. Maybe his second team can build around him, like the Bulls are now trying with the actual LaVine…

palmsnbananas and Milos like this.
  13. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Hakeem over Jordan at worst ;)

14. Nook

Nook Member

I think it is certainly debatable, but I will take Green as an athlete. His eyes were level with the rim a few times and he gets off the ground so quickly. Green and Edward's are different types of athletes, I LOVE Edward's frame and body compared to 99% of the league. Green is physically weak, and that is really hurting him more than anything other than perhaps his crap instincts.

D-rock, jiggyfly and James.B.H like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Meh.

I am a big supporter of Mobley but the BEST rookie this season and long term is likely Barnes. He really has a lot of K. Leonard in him.

Green has some serious problems, he is very weak and he doesn't do the things to help win ball games yet.

However, Green is also in a TERRIBLE situation. He has a player next to him in Kevin Porter that is a TERRIBLE fit. He has a poor coaching staff and he doesn't have players around him to help him.

Green could still end up leading the league in scoring several times over. His athleticism, work ethic and personality all are elite..... but it may take awhile.

The Rockets REALLY need a point guard long term.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it's so much that KPJ is a terrible fit next to Green as it is that the Rockets also have a guy in Wood who also wants to be ball dominant and gets super selfish with the ball when things don't go well.

When you have Green, KPJ, and Wood all trying to play hero ball....and none of them being terribly good at it, you end up with chaos.

The reason the reserves play harder and typically look better than the starters is that they don't seem to have the ego BS getting in the way quite like those 3 seem to.

17. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Mobley vs Barnes would be an interesting question at #1 right now in a redraft.

Mobley vs Green I think will be more of the “did we get that right?” question long term because Mobley was the #2 prospect on most lists and it really seemed like it was going to be either guy rather than Barnes jumping up to 2 and most GMs would have picked Mobley with some going Green and few if any would have gone with Barnes.

D-rock and Nook like this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

Ha, the rationale was never that Green could be the next MJ or Kobe unless u were being delusional.

I thought Green was likely Lavine, Beal, Booker etc from day 1

And who tf is talking about Jordan Poole on here? Is that a lie u made up? If not, post the receipts

Lavine didn’t take until year 8 to put it together…your post is just full of clichés and falsehoods

D-rock and jiggyfly like this.
  19. NewAge

NewAge Member

The Kobe/MJ stuff was not me, I never made predictions because I didn't watch G-league. But I read a lot and listen to many podcasts. It was experts, such as for example, Mike Schmitz, who is one of the best in the biz and who still thinks he'll lead the league in scoring. Also, if you listen to Clutch podcast, who gets some info from the inside from time to time, the case for JG was that they saw Kobe ceiling.

Jordan Poole comp was not you, but some other fanbois. I don't lie, you can do a search. You gotta stop with the ad hominem, period.

Year 8 is where he is now, so that may be off a bit, yes. He was an All-Star reserve in Year 7. Never been to playoffs.

I have questions for you:
    1. If you were seeing Zach LaVine in JG from the get-go, do you think it was a mistake to pass on Mobley? What do you see in Mobley as upside? Bosh? Gasol? I'd say those are better outcomes than Lavine.
    2. Would you consider a good return on a #2 if he would languish for the next 3 years like LaVine did in Minnesotta, only to be packaged in a trade with a Lauri Markanen for one full season of Jimmy Butler?

Because what I am saying is, you guys cannot be telling us this was a good pick if he only becomes an All-Star reserve in Year 6,7,8. You don't pass-up on Evan Mobley if that is your upside scenario.

D-rock and Milos like this.
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Leading the league in scoring is not the goal - leading the team to wins, is!

I hope that Green develops into that killer instinct player that HATES to lose - that is what we need a leader to lead these young bucks....if not him, then I hope one of our youngsters finds that in him.

DD

DeBeards and D-rock like this.