1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it needs to be Mobley...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 27, 2021.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

An all star big, that plays OUTSIDE-IN, led his team to a championship after being paired with not one, but two all-star level guards.

If Utah was forced to trade one - Gobert or Mitchell, who do you think they choose?
    If Phoenix had to part with Ayton or Booker.

Now... sure, the Nuggets would keep Jokic above all... and guess what, he's a big that is basically their PG.

2. JayZ750

He's been like this in a couple of his games for sure... meh liens, then boom for a quarter. But that doesn't mean anything... all rookies for the most part are like this... including Jalen.

Where Mobley has been 100% consistent every game is defensively. He's a defensive stud, no doubt.

D-rock likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yeah, called this early too.

Barnes was my 2nd favorite player in top 5.

DeBeards likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

I was told that Mobley's high ass was going to prevent him from being able to switch in NBA.

LMFAO!!!

DeBeards and jiggyfly like this.
  5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I thought it would hurt his ability to rebound (I thought he'd get easily boxed out and pushed around because he has a high center of gravity), but seems like his high butt hasn't been an issue thus far.

I wonder if the rule changes this year have made the NBA more of a big man's league again. This tweet that JR shared in the Dish has got me wondering if we picked a bad time to hitch our wagon to a small guard.

JayGoogle and D-rock like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Don't give up your day job.

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Pure bullshit.

Stop acting like you know what Stone and Rockets FO are thinking or would do.

But even if Rockets drafted Mobley and moved up for Jalen Johnson instead of Sengun, that's still a hell of a haul.

But it's all moot, play the cards we've been dealt.

Green should improve offensively but it's going to take time and strength before he's consistent.

But defensively, I'm not going to hold my breath.

BallaDoc likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Coaching matters.

BallaDoc and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

That's a heckuva list.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  10. jogo

jogo Member

I haven't watched any of his games so you're probably right. But I've watched our games and I haven't seen the pizzazz people assured me was coming from Green.

But I've said before that I get it's a small sample size. I feel that 20-25 games in it will still look lopsided and not towards Green. I wanted Mobley before the draft and everyone who didn't said it would take Mobley a while to start playing well and Green would come out looking great. One hot shooting game hasn't shown me that. Mobley is playing the best of all the rookies IMO and will probably the look the best after 20-25 games.

Cunningham hasn't even played. That's bothersome if you're a Detroit fan.

James.B.H, clos4life and D-rock like this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is fair, but my problem with what I replied to was this lessening of big's roles that people do. The idea that Mobley at his absolute peak still isn't worth a guard at their absolute peak.

I think if the argument is that it's harder to find all-star bigs, I think that's fair thanks to all the rule changes which opened up the game for guards...

although, we have to wonder now if the rule changes will again make it completely a big man's league.

#1811 JayGoogle, Oct 28, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    jiggyfly and steddinotayto like this.
  12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We did this before and basically, go back year to year, teams literally do not win championships without all-star bigs. I don't get this downplaying of a big man's role to a team. Youc can say play outside in and all that, you still need size and length. This is still basketball. We don't play 5'7 guys for a reason. They call Iverson one of the best pound for pound players for a reason. He can only affect so much of the game at his height.

Comparing Gobert to Mitchell isn't fair or Ayton to Booker.

My point is Giannis being the size he is matters...a lot. Lebron being the size he is matters. A lot.

I think in general if you have a chance a skilled tall guy, you take him more often than not, that's why I said skilled big, not just random big that is tall but can't dribble or shoot.

I think if you have a chance at taking a skilled big, you take him. That was always my case for Mobley. Every year you can get potential elite guards but not every year you have a chance at a Giannis, AD, type of player that can affect the game defensively and offensively in a way a big can.

13. DreamR

DreamR Member

So he's either gonna be the next Kobe or the next Marbury

Sounds like he's destined to be a Superstar even if he has to be one in the Chinese league.

jiggyfly and D-rock like this.
  14. JayZ750

This is the NBA. Teams dont win championships without truly dominant teams. So many squads have multiple multiple all-stars and HOFers on them.

All-star/HOF level outside-in players have been "more important" in the NBA for at least a decade. From the Heat (top two of Lebron/Wade) to Warriors, Cavs (where KLove was an afterthought in a sense), LAkers with Lebron and AD (Lebron is clearly more important) to Raptors to, the Spurs, who had 3 of their top 4 players as outside-in guards or wings (not doubting Duncan's amazingness, but he was no longer their best player on those later runs), the Mavs who had another dominant big BUT an outside in big, the Lakers who needed Pau but only after having Kobe, the Celtics who might have had KG as the "heart" of that team and they wouldn't have won it without them but the other two in the 3 some were guards/winds and you can add Rondo as another guard.

I mean look, Mobley was picked third, and he's doing great. Rockets were starting from scratch. Green projects as ultimate upside as a 30 ppg guard scorer that can bomb threes, have high usage, control the ball in the last 5 minutes of a game, etc. Mobley upside projection is AMAZING, too. It becomes the "wrong" pick if Green doesn't reach his upside projection and Mobley does.

I think i said multiple times in many threads i'd love to get them both.

BallaDoc likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Another narrative bites the dust.

Almost as funny as the high ass nonsense.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

And does all this WITHOUT fouling.

His BBIQ is just off the charts good.

BallaDoc likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agree.

BigggReddd likes this.
  19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

20. SamFisher