1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Why it needs to be Mobley...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 27, 2021.

1. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Give this man all the likes. Mobley looked good but he’s got a long long long way to go to be more of an impact player than Green.

2. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

You missed the point... Yes he can do those things too, but the first 4 years of his career he averaged 7 rebounds per game... As I said he's a big guard/wing that developed big man skills and this happened as he bulked up, but his game has always centered more around attacking the paint and driving to the rim from the perimeter his whole career... And in that respect he has more in common with Westbrook than he does any bigs in the league.... The difference is he's got better shot selection, much more size than Russ, and thus is more effective.... Also doesn't take as many jumpers, but still does take them and can't make them much either.

3. csc177

csc177 Member

…and there are posters (who are conveniently silent) that would have been on this same board hollering “Mobley should have been the pick” if he outplayed our rookies.

Folks are going to comment and react regardless, even after 1 game, basketball is back.

4. Rokman

Rokman Member

I dont think this is at all a discussion about Green vs Mobley, this is purely a discussion about Sengun vs Mobley. Two guys drafted playing the same position and look at the results after game 1:

PLAYER___________MIN______ FGM ___FGA___FG%___3PM___3PA___3P%___FTM___FTA___FT%
    Alperen Sengun_ 27:15:00 ____3_____ 10 ____ 30 ______0______1_____0______9_____14 ___64.3
    Evan Mobley____ 27:42:00 ____6_____ 17 ____ 35.3 ____ 0______2_____0______0______2 ____0

PLAYER__________OREB__DREB__REB___AST___ STL___BLK___TO___PF___PTS ____ +/-
    Alperen Sengun___ 7 _____ 8 ____ 15 ____ 3 _____ 1 _____ 4 ____ 1 ___ 3 ____ 15 ___ 18
    Evan Mobley ______ 2 _____ 3 _____ 5 ____ 0 _____ 1 _____ 3 ____ 5 ___ 4 ____ 12 ___ -1

THAT tells the story right there! A 19 point +/- differential in Sengun's favor.

Hell, the fact that he got to the free throw line 14 times to 2 is enough to say he crushed Mobley talent wise.

#1004 Rokman, Aug 8, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Exactly.

And I would have pointed out the hypocrisy if that happened as well.

6. xaos

xaos Member

Jalen Green fans, just a reminder, we can be excited without creating a divide

7. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Close the thread. No one cares about Mobley. Not even on our team

csc177, Joe Rocket and Drift Monkey like this.
  8. T.MAC

T.MAC Member

F Mobley we've got Sheeengooooon.

Bo6, clutchdabear, Joe Rocket and 4 others like this.
  9. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Bam level at best... With high bust potential imo

Dobbizzle and Drift Monkey like this.
  10. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Summer league is rather meaningless as a predictor of future success. It’s exciting to get a preview of the new players. Always better to look good than not, but plenty of stars have had sub-par summer leagues, and the all time summer league scoring records are full of guys who were role players or worse.. Adam Morrison averaged more ppg (24.6) than Lebron, Curry, & Harden did. Likewise Dante Greene’s 40 points, meant little to his future success. I like Green over Mobley, and I’m excited to see all the new players do well, but summer league proves nothing.

see how NBA stars did in summer league

True Rocket, macho GRANDE and D-rock like this.
  11. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

We can praise Green without making it necessary to attack Mobley.
    I think Green is one step ahead of Mobley in his level of development. It's going to take a lot for Mobley to become a dominant player in this league.
    It's also fair to say that if big players have a harder time developing, the same rule applies to both Mobley and Sengun. And today, only today, Sengun showed a level far superior to Mobley.
    Anyway, very happy with the first presentation of our rookies!

12. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

It is written

Drift Monkey and King1 like this.
  13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don’t say any of this to be mean or anything to Mobley. He’s got lots of time and upside on his side.

even though Sengun and Green are the same age and also have lots of upside that I’m more excited about… those guys have played in a professional league already… Mobley hasn’t.

that said… the limitations we saw from Mobley are exactly what we thought they’d be. Poor rebounding. Not great at posting up. He struggled posting up Josh Christopher (granted a good defender with size for a guard). He’s not exactly “wing-like” out there. Any concept of “advanced guard skills” are for now not even with discussing. Mostly you just still just go hmmm when it came to motor. He had the one play they showed over and over where he seemed like he really wanted it. Whereas Sengun is just constant motor all the one non-stop.

again… I think Mobley has a long way to go so where he eventually gets will be A LOT better than this. Consider Yao as a rookie for example. In many ways a similar player. Yao struggled doing mostly everything at first lol. But somewhat relevant… he caught up quick. It wasn’t like you still had questions by the end of the rookie year. As a guy rooting fir Mobley (on another team not the Rockets lol!) I want to see him gradually adjust to the pace, size and style of the NBA game so that by mid way through his rookie year he is at least showing you some dominant stretches in various parts of his game.

14. Franchise 101

Franchise 101 Member

Its not the 70's-2000's, new Era, guard and wing driven league. Outdated and very wrong-headed assessment.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I thought it was interesting their GM said they want to develop him on the perimeter and didn't want him playing down in the post.

King1, Drift Monkey and NIKEstrad like this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nah. If you look at all the crap the Mobley Mob were saying prior and after the draft a divide is more than warrented. Some people were saying C+ in the draft cuz Mobley got picked over Green lmao.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Could've predicted both performances today based on the scouting report. Mobley was always going to have a longer growth trajectory to get to his ceiling. I'm happy with our guys but no point in being political about it.

macho GRANDE and Dobbizzle like this.
  18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

If you believe this claptrap, you're never allowed to say "why are politics so broken".

It's because people double down on stupid because they feel vindictive. "I can do whatever I want and be justified because the other side was wrong once".

This is not an example of how to have a rational debate.

People always say dumb stuff. Doesn't give you license to turn it into a vendetta.

19. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Slenderman bigs bust all the time tho.... My biggest issues with Mobley apart from him being very frail with a slender frame and likely to get pushed around on offense and maybe even defense until he can effectively bulk up... Is his offensive game... He has a decent face up driving game, but I doubt his handle is good enough to attack off the dribble consistently in the NBA... What am I sure he can be good at? Putbacks and maybe lobs. Not really a good shooter... limited & almost non-existent post game.

Mobley is mobile and agile... He has good passing skills for a big and can move his feet well on the perimeter defensively... Also he could be a good rim protector... I maintain I think his ceiling is a Bam level player, but I won't be surprised if he busts.... It's not a simple give in that he'll be able to bulk up effectively with that frame and I look at him and see so much potential for injury issues.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

We arent trying to have a rational debate this is jist sports talk not politics. Regardless how you view Sengun or Mobley or Green it wont affect the country or the way things are run.

Smacktalk is part of sports doesnt mean you need to equate it to politics which actually has real life implications. Paul Pierce doesnt have Lebron in his top 25 list how does that affect you exactly?

Drift Monkey likes this.