1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Why it needs to be Mobley...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 27, 2021.

1. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I would agree if we already had an offensively dominant guard, as much as I love KPJ, he isn’t a sure thing. This is a guard/wing driven league. There are so many ppl here concerned with getting a big man like as if he’s the missing piece to a contender. Even if we were to get Mobley, the Rockets are likely to be in the lottery for the next two seasons. You get the most talented player in the draft, and that guy is Jalen Green (Cade if he’s available).

#61 Rocketeer, Jun 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    34to11, SoupTent3, Bo6 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He plays defense in the sense that he's physically present on that end of the court so I guess I should've said he's no good at defense.

When I say he can't pass, I also mean he's not any good at it, not that he physically can't do it. His court vision is poor and as if right now he's only good at scoring himself similar to a Lou Williams or Eric Gordon type.

Could he improve those skills? Sure, he just doesn't have them now, and that's why he's a fairly traditional SG rather than the more valuable combo guards

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I brought up Hardens efficiency. Greens efficiency is similar. You absolutely cant easily get a scorer who's highly efficient. If Green were simply a volume shooter then your point would be valid. But he's not. Finding guys that can score in bunches and do it efficiently is one of the most difficult things to find. Take a look at the names on the list that I posted.

The problem with your guard 5 position argument is that the current rules are skewed to offense. No defensive player can shutdown an elite offensive player, the rules favor offense too much.

Ben Simmons is probably the best on ball defender in the league and guys drop huge numbers on him often. See Harden dropping a 44 pt triple double on him.

Milwaukee has two all-NBA defenders in Giannis and Holiday yet Trae Young score 48 on them in game 2 of the ECF.

I know it's not popular to say, but under today's rules defense is less important than offense.

4. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Yet as a sg he averages less than 1 assist per game less than Cunningham who is the pg that everyone wants? He also has a better ast/to ratio than Cunningham.

His defense, 3pt shooting and passing all got better as he got used to playing against better competition.

I'll ask again, do you also think Cunninham cant pass?

5. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

THIS right here. Efficient scorers like Green aren’t going to be available every draft. How many guards are there in the NBA like this? 5? Maybe?

Deuce likes this.
  6. alethios

alethios Member

We need Green to complete the GreenHouse effect.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What Cunningham can or can't do is irrelevant to what Green can or can't do.

I haven't looked at Cunningham as closely as I have Green, Suggs, and Mobley because I assume he'll be gone by pick 2.

I've seen that Green doesn't have the PG skills to be a combo guard, he's not even as skilled a passer and creator for others as Mobley who is a C prospect. That's what is relevant here

albuster likes this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Green's efficiency is similar in the Gleague though, it's a pie in the sky hope that he replicates that in the NBA. Nearly every top SG prospect that comes into the league looks efficient in college or Europe, that's why they become top prospects...it's rare they actually replicate that to the NBA. We can't just assume that's what Green will bring. I think it's safe to assume he will be a scorer that can average 20ppg...you're arguing the absolute best case for Green here and I'm saying worst case.

Also, Mobley doesn't need to shut down elite offensive players, shutting down ancillary players is often enough to win games, especially playoff games. People keep devaluing defense but all the teams left, defense played a huge role in getting there. You might not be able to shut down Trae Young when he's hot but shutting down Huerter could get you the win.

This isn't to say I'm assuming Mobley will be Giannis on defense but he should at the very least come in day 1 and handle switching onto guards at an average level...and that is STILL harder to find. I can argue that best case Mobley can do this and that and people really keep selling Mobley's offense short. People act like he's Gobert or something with how they talk about him. His scoring is fine, will it lead a team, likely not...but he's not incapable of scoring.

I'm saying worst case here. Say both Green and Mobley never get past their floor, which one is the more useful player to have? The guy who can just come in and drop 20 or the big that can defend all 5 positions and score.

I think if you ask that question the answer is easily Mobley. You can always find guards that can score. We could just keep EGO on the team and still have that and the FA list will be filled with guys that can score. but a 7 footer that can switch and defend all positions? That guy is at least a very good role player.

9. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think there is a true model. You have to get lucky. You draft the best player available and hope it works out. Position doesn’t matter. Jordan, Isiah, Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, Curry… there is no consistency. When you have the best player and are successful, the league conforms to you.

No Worries and xaos like this.
  10. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Disagree... Green should be the pick... Has the most upside... Probably the best athlete in the draft and has shown he can excel at things that should be able to translate well in the NBA game.

Mobley is very frail for his frame and height.... I think among the most frail I've ever seen and those guys tend to have injury and health issues and it's funny you mentioned Wood because he's even more frail than Wood.... I think his passing and perimeter defense are the best things that could translate, but I highly question his offensive game translating.. he'll have to get BIGGER and young skinny bigs can have trouble putting on the weight and developing without losing effectiveness... I think Mobley has a high bust potential unfortunately.

11. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Yeah that was perplexing af... He pulled it out of his ass lol

12. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

This is silly... You don't need to say traditional SG... That's an irrelevant distinction... It's a team built around a perimeter player vs a team built around a big.... You go with the best perimeter player with the most upside.

13. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Yes big men like that are hard to find... And so often do they end up becoming busts in a guard/wing driven league.

14. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Jay you are another one that I really really like on this board as well as Bobby. But if we did draft Green we would not be drafting him only because we believe he can score, we would be drafting Green because we think in 4-5 years he could possibly lead the entire league in scoring. Those are 2 very different things and are not mutually exclusive. Yes guards are easier to find in the draft since the average player in the NBA is not 7 feet. But if we all believe that this is a loaded draft especially at the guard position and we could possibly draft the best guard of them all, isn't that saying a hell of a lot in favor for Green?

Drift Monkey and xaos like this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not an irrelevant distinction, a combo guard can run a team's offense, a traditional SG cannot. In the modern NBA successful team's are not built around traditional SG's

I'm all for going with the player with the most upside.... and that's Mobley.

sydmill likes this.
  16. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Mobley is not a Center he is too small he could play Power Forward or even Small Forward....7 Feet and only 214 pounds are you kidding me there will be 6'7 or 6'8 small forward or even power forward beating him up every night at 230 lbs......He needs to be next to a big center to be efficient.

No Worries and Air Canada like this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's fair, I think if I thought he had that kind of upside I'd be in favor of him being the pick. I don't though.

Htown's Finest likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Do you think he'll stay 215lbs? DMo came into the league at 222 and a year and a half later he was 260.

On a team like the Rockets Mobley would be able to seamlessly switch 1-5 and Wood would be there to help carry the load. It's pretty much s perfect situation for him.

19. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I think getting a big is the key to success but it’s like the last key. You’ve got a lot of other doors to unlock before that one but it’s the last door and it’s important. If you can’t rebound you can’t win. I haven’t looked up the stats but I’m venturing to guess the bad rebounding teams never went very far. We need a big that can play very good defense on at least small forwards — and at least better than average on guards. He also needs to have just enough beef to guard any big centers.
    Touch, athleticism, and size in a big are very important. If you have crazy good shooters like Klay and Steph, you can get away with a very good, but shorter center.

long story short, if there is an obvious elite guard, take him. But if there’s not a sure thing and there is a very good big, I’d go with the big.

/I’m waiting for Togo food at the restaurant bar and basically thinking out loud to occupy my awkward time here…

albuster likes this.
  20. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree. Mobley is the no brainer pick hands down. Hard to find a big that skilled and that can effect both ends of the court making him a cornerstone franchise type player.

albuster and JayGoogle like this.