1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it needs to be Mobley...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 27, 2021.

1. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Can any of you green stans tell us why he avgd 17 pts in the gleague while the emo corpse of J Lin avgd 20??

2. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Anyhow… I hope the rockets are posturing to take Green to help their case to convince Detroit to trade and let us move up to No 1. Draft day is going to be interesting!

awc713 and D-rock like this.
  3. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Mic drop…
    Also, KPJ Outplayed him in their game Against the vipers!

REEKO_HTOWN, D-rock and palmsnbananas like this.
  4. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Simple join was in the league how many years. This guy is 19

RudyTBag likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

I honestly believe that Mobley has more upside, to be an All Star sooner and longer than Green.

Mobley is the more unique player with the most optionality. He could play 3-5 depending on matchup and as his body matures to the 5 spot. His game RIGHT NOW will fit any system.

Green is an athletic offensive savant. But he is a SG, that is his only position.

In a league that is becoming increasingly positionless, his road to greatness will be more difficult.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I really like Mobley as a prospect because I'm a big believer in the increasing importance of switchable bigs on defense. After watching Curry, Dame, Harden, Luka, Trae and others destroy bigs on switches & pick and rolls these past few seasons (especially in the playoffs), i'm thinking having a big that can defend out in space isn't just a luxury but a necessity in the modern NBA.

There's maybe a 5 or 6 bigs that can defend switches and the rim at an elite level and are above average on offense. Mobley could be one of these unicorns if he simply reaches 50%- 75% (?) of his potential.

Green reminds me of a taller, lankier more athletic Bradley Beal. I don't know if his road to "greatness" is tougher than Mobley, but he can be equally special if he becomes the type of high volume & efficient perimeter scorer that has come to dominate the league. For that he'll need to continue to score well in ISO, shoot the 3 well and further develop his pick and roll game. I erroneously wrote earlier that Nate Duncan and Leroux said Green's Pick and roll game was good. The numbers on it were actually pretty bad, but he has shown some improvement and its something that should be improvable with reps.

D-rock likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

9. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

Why I believe Evan Mobley should be the pick. Morley is gone! The Rockets small ball experiment should be over. Mobley has the potential to be a unicorn. Rockets fans should be tired of being to short to compete in the west. Wood is not a center! We have a ton of potential in our guard positions and nothing up front. We can take a flyer on a guard later in the first and get us a 3&D wing to take House’s position. Somebody like J.T. Thor, or Makur Maker to play the 3. We need length in order to defend the rest of the west.

rhee and D-rock like this.
  10. noppeper

noppeper Member

His main weakness is getting pushed around the block by bigger/stronger men, whether future astrophysicists or not. So yeah, he will probably struggle rebounding and defending against the Jokic's (and wannabes) of the world.

Mobley is not a traditional big man, but he still has good rebounding instincts and fundamentals, so I suspect as he becomes more of a man, he will be at least adequate enough there to not hurt you. His overall impact on team winning is undeniable, as the advanced statistics indicate, and that should be more important than looking at his deficiencies in a vacuum. He really does bring quite a lot to the table and should have all Rockets fans excited that he is among our choices, even if you prefer Green or anybody else.

D-rock likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Evan Mobley is the most tantalizing prospect in this Draft (yes, even more tantalizing than Cade). I typically devalue big prospects, but Mobley is much more skilled than the typical high-level big prospect, and he might not even strictly be a big, which is a huge part of the intrigue. That intrigue is largely derived from his mesmerizing movement skills. 7-footers just don’t move their feet like he does, with such agility, balance and control. His nimble footspeed gives him a quickness advantage against other bigs. In addition to that, Mobley is fairly flexible, which unlocks some subtly explosive qualities. Then, his vertical is quick and fluid, springing off the floor without giving anyone a chance to respond. The length is quite overwhelming as well. Every move he makes is calculated and coordinated, a lethal combination for someone with his tools.

In addition to all the previously mentioned skill, Mobley also has a great head on his high shoulders. He is quite the reader on the court, processing the floor instantly and consistently making good decisions. Many players his size drown in the vast waters of decision-making responsibilities that Mobley is comfortably buoyant in, floating without much worry and even taking a couple butterfly strokes every now and then. His poise is pretty stunning, as he has the size to take his time to see over the defense and, again, make good decisions. Mobley passed out of double-teams very well, not too bothered by the additional pressure, looking and finding open teammates on solid skip passes. USC also had Mobley make flex reads from the top of the key. The most alluring aspect of Mobley’s passing would easily be his short-roll passing, which was probably mouth-watering for scouts to see. The processing began on-the-catch, and he typically knew where the ball should be going by the time he fully landed. The ball was in and out of his hands immediately after seeing the defense shifting towards him upon his possession of the ball.

Defensively, Mobley was a shot-blocking menace, and his technique is some of the best. He is essentially a mind-reader, reading the intent of players as they go up to finish or even on floaters and denying them right after they release the ball with precise hand-placement. At times, he will wait for the finisher to make their move, and Mobley will swat it whenever they decide to try it. His ability to mirror the jump of finishers is a major element to his shot-blocking proclivity, being quicker off the floor than his opponents as well as longer. Mobley was dominant around the basket, but also disciplined, not fouling out once and only accumulating four fouls in a game twice on the season. Overall, the shot-blocking radius was wide-ranging, and it often deterred players entirely from even looking to make an attempt at-the-rim. Even as USC sat in a 2-3 zone for stretches of games, Mobley anchored the middle, communicating well and shutting off the rim. Mobley was generally solid in other interior defense responsibilities as well, and the awareness was very good. He had moved past playing off of instinct and played off of intuition.

At the point-of-attack, Mobley has really good technique, too, balancing responsibilities of the downhill ball-handler and roller in the PnR. His defensive spacing here was excellent, understanding the angles of his position relative to the roller, not letting him get behind, and staying in front of the ball-handler, close enough to contest or even block a shot in the intermediate area. Mobley occasionally disrupted or even picked off lob passes over the top of him. If there was a situation where Mobley was guarding on the perimeter, he was more than capable of containing penetration without giving up a clean pull-up. His stance was so large that it was difficult and inefficient to drive around him as he used good angles as well, and Mobley never really got shook by ball-handlers, staying balanced. Guards often settled for tough, contested stepbacks on an island vs Mobley as he utilized his length. The conservative approach was quite effective.

https://rollcallsportsnet.com/evan-mobley-nba-draft-scouting-report/

Roc Paint and ballplayer like this.
  12. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Verbal Christ likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I hear that maybe in a few years he will be as good as current Jeremy Lin, apparently it's not fair to think a potential #2 overall pick would be as good as a washed up scrub.

I also hear that despite the fact it's not fair to think he should be as good as current Jeremy Lin, that he's going to come into the league scoring 30 points a game and will be the next Kobe/MJ.

Green superfans are fun.

Roc Paint and palmsnbananas like this.
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clearly because Jalen Green is worse than Jeremy Lin.

You guys have cracked the scouting code. Genius post, and all geniuses that liked the post. Usual suspects.

BossHogg713 and Verbal Christ like this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Mobley couldn't even make G league and had to play against school kids.

BossHogg713 and Verbal Christ like this.
  16. MystikArkitect

Can you explain why, using your logic, Jalen Green is a Top 3 selection while Jeremy Lin won't be in the NBA anymore? Clearly he's the better player.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  17. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

How does that work? If Detroit wants Green, they take him. What we posture doing after them has no bearing.

18. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

For the people who question Evan Mobley's 215lb frame. Jalen Green is 6'6" 186lbs. No one is questioning whether he can put on the weight/muscle.
    If you look at Mobley's dad who use to play in the NBA you can tell he should have no problem adding weight/muscle IMO.

D-rock and sydmill like this.
  19. sydmill

sydmill Member

The reason it needs to be Mobley is that the Rockets are just horrible offensively and defensively. Almost equally bad at both really. While Green certainly helps the offense, he adds nothing to the defense. Many would argue that he actually makes the defense worse. I will not go that far as I think he could become an average to above average defender in time and he seems like he is at least paying lip service to that goal atm. Regardless, Jalen Green appears to do one thing at an elite level and that is score the basketball.

Mobley, on the other hand, looks like he will be an impactful defender in the NBA immediately. While he does not project to be the scorer that Green is/will be, Mobley is, I think, a better offensive player than Green is a defender. Mobley's ability to play a two man game should open things up for KPJ as well as Wood and Martin. I just personally see a guy who makes the team better on both sides of the ball as being more valuable than a guy who really only contributes to one side.

Before anyone gets all excited about me focusing on the immediate future, let me say this: The Rockets (with either player) are not going to be good next year. And yes, there are bigs who will probably be available next draft. Some of them maybe even better than Mobley. But I think it is far from certain that the Rockets will be so bad next season as to be in the mix for another top 4 pick. And regardless, I think Mobley is the better player if, ultimately, winning is the goal.

TL; DR: I have more faith in Mobley being an above average offensive player by the time the Rockets need to be good then I do Green being an above average defender in that same time line. I think Mobley's contribution to the Defense is about equal to the contribution I suspect Green will provide to the offense.

D-rock likes this.
  20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"I hear." No, you didn't. You're just being opinionated.

o·pin·ion·at·ed
    /əˈpinyəˌnādəd/

adjective
    1. conceitedly assertive and dogmatic in one's opinions.
      "an arrogant and opinionated man"