1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it needs to be Mobley...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 27, 2021.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Green is honestly BIG for his position. He is 6'6 and thats without shoes so with shoes he is 6'7 with a 6'8 wingspan. Jordan is 6'4 3/4 without shoes, around the same height as Barkley. People base that on his GLeague height which I read is accurate cuz Kuminga also got exposed as 6'6.

I have less concerns with Green than with Mobley but its hard to say for sure since we are not privy to Rox info. The rumored concern with Mobley is he doesnt really like bball, but I dunno how much truth there is to that cuz he is the one who admitted :"bball had to grow on me" so its hard to that at face value. I mean Edwards said a lot of crazy crap predraft as well but he turned out ok.

For Green the main issue is lack of D and lack of willingness to move off the ball. You have to wonder how it would work with KPJ since both are ball dominant.

One other thing that complicates the issue the depth of this draft. You got guys like JT Thor or Tre Mann who could actually be better than Mobley or Green. Mann's shot is insane you know he will fit like s glove next to KPJ while JT Thor is almost like a clone of Mobley...younger by a year as well.

After days of extensive research I've gone from 80% Mobley to just dont take Suggs for the love of god.

2. Garner

Garner Member

don’t draft around a knuckle head who could force himself out of the league within a year or two.
    Love KPJ, but just take Green and figure out the rest later.

3. Bo6

Bo6 Member

KPJ is 6'4 and Green is 6'5

Other Backcourts in the NBA:
    • Irving + Harden : 6'2 / 6'5
    • Paul + Booker : 6'0 / 6'5
    • Conley + Mitchell : 6'1 / 6'1
    • Lillard + McCollum : 6'2 / 6'3
    • Westbrook + Beal : 6'3 / 6'3
    • Fox + Hield : 6'3 / 6'4
    • Young + Bogdanavic : 6'1 / 6'6
    • Ball + Rozier : 6'6 / 6'1
    • Lowry + Vanvleet : 6'0 / 6'0
    • Curry + Klay : 6'3 / 6'6

Can we stop with the idiotic takes? We would literally have one of the bigger back courts in the NBA.... Not to mention probably the most athletic.

bunch of ****ing size queens on here man

4. Rockets4Life13

Good to see you come around. One thing i highly disagree with is that JG is unwilling to move off the ball which i don’t see where you’re getting that from. I’ve seen a bunch of off-ball cuts to the rim and him constantly running around looking to get open on the perimeter.

I agree on your take on Suggs, feels like nothing special to me.

5. Rockets4Life13

I also disageee with the notion that JG and KPJ can’t work together. It feels like a good fit to me - KPJ will be the PG and Green the SG. That ball dominant non-sense has been spouted for years but was never actually an issue anywhere.

Harden + Irving
    Booker + CP3 are all just as ball dominant as our potential backcourt would be but they work just fine.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Its just hard to evaluate Mobley without inside info.

Moving off the ball occassionally is different from what is needed with KPJ cuz he needs a Klay Thompson like player.

Highlyrated likes this.
  7. acheung

acheung Member

Mobley has a lot of potential, but a negative is that he will take 3-5 yrs to develop an nba body and contribute at a high level. His skill set also overlaps a lot with wood. We need help at multiple positions. If timeline rockets are shooting for is really 1 year to compete for playoffs, then green is the pick. His bounciness does remind somewhat of Ja though, and he is a better shooter as brown pointed out. Agree kpj/green backcourt would be awesome for next decade plus, they are roughly same age and could grow together. If green really is all about getting better, maybe he would help push kpj to do the same and realize his full potential as well.

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The most difficult to evaluate, but also the most important factor.

In some cases like Wiggins, his motivation and motor was a red flag before the draft, and it's pretty much the only reason why he isn't a good basketball player. In other cases like Simmons, he was praised for having a motor and strive to succeed, but he never bothered to develop a jumpshot in 4 years.

Mobley has undoubtedly the highest ceiling in the draft, because his best case scenario dwarfs any other player's since he has a perfect foundation to work off on (tall and long, good jumpshot mechanics, athletic, jack of all-trades skillset). Green is a safer pick but he has shown a lot of willingness to improve (his improved 3 point shooting, to a 37% on 6 attempt shooter in the G-League at 19 years old is nothing to scoff at considering guys some guys in the NBA still can't shoot free throws after years of practice).

At the end of the day, the hope is the Rockets are able to figure out who loves the game more. Both guys are physically gifted enough that whoever has a greater drive will easily become the better player (barring injuries).

Milos, D-rock, mikenm268 and 2 others like this.
  9. clos4life

clos4life Member

I'll be fine for either Green or Mobley, an argument can be made for both. I think Mobley is being sold a little short on this board, but it's understandable in a guard driven league. Not as big a fan of Suggs, but I've been wrong before!

D-rock, jch1911 and roslolian like this.
  10. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

Green has the higher upside, but Mobley is what this team needs as we suck on protecting the paint. Whatever we do, we only have one pick to choose from. We cant go wrong from choosing either one of them.

don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  11. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Evan Mobley has the wingspan of Yao Ming! Green’s wingspan is nothing crazy.

Not that it matters, I just thought I’d throw that in to keep us undecided even more lol.

don grahamleone and roslolian like this.
  12. csc177

csc177 Member

It’s going to be weird having a front court of two bigs averaging 200 pounds in weight.

so long our rebound differential.

draft green, get a pf/center later in first round or next year.

I repeat had Green gone to college he would be the consensus number 1 pick. Let’s not over complicate this guys

ReturnOfTheMac and 34to11 like this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I can't take the arguments of a tooth seriously.

Tfor3 likes this.
  14. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Or Altuve. Yes - that just happened. I referenced a completely different Pro league. But these same guys (like the OP) would have laughed him off the court….err field.

15. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

This is a very valid point.

Highlyrated and BigggReddd like this.
  16. SoupTent3

SoupTent3 Member

That's exactly how I feel. You still need a big man in this league. Evan Mobley is a unicorn with a lot of upside to him. The Houston Rockets have done great in their history of drafting big men. This guy is so young and full of promise, he can develop into a great piece for us. Let's not pass on this guy at the #2 spot. I think we should be able to get a shooting guard in the later rounds if we do our homework correctly. Big men that are effective and good, are just hard to find.

don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  17. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

KD and Curry are essentially SGs bro and the GSW found success. The Rockets almost went to the Finals with Harden as SG leading them (I know I know almost doesn't count right). Booker is the go to guy for Phoenix and they are one game away from making it to the Finals. I'm just pointing out that it is very possible to build around a guard in today's game...

34to11, clos4life, red5rocket and 3 others like this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

KD isnt a guard he is 6'10 and never played a guard position his entire nba career lol. Thats like saying Jokic is a point guard just because he can pass really well. WB averages more than 10 rebs I guess he a center now?

GSW found success cuz they had 4-5 all stars on the team. You cant use that as an example unless you're gonna be building a team that can compete in the all star game.

PHX only in that position cuz AD tore his groin and Lebron rolled his ankle and Kawhi tore his acl. Pretty much all the stars out west got injured. Lakers up 2-1 before AD went down meaning unless the opponent got injured Booker and co would be at home right now.

don grahamleone and JayGoogle like this.
  19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am terrified of taking a dorky 7-footer… Kid might be a beast, but god damn is it scary drafting a certified dork on roller skates.

20. PatBev

PatBev Member

Mobley just doesn’t look like he has the passion for the game

More of a “I’m 7ft tall and my dad played so I’ll give it a chance”

34to11 and Bearius Jones like this.