1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it needs to be Mobley...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 27, 2021.

1. 9baller

9baller Member

This is very intriguing. I wonder if the Rockets plan to use him like Giannis, rather than as a 5. I know Mobley has said that Giannis is someone he emulates, but Stone probably just wants a center. Thoughts?

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

This is a great point and something that many non-scout fans miss on. Players who can make other players better are extremely valuable -- whether that's on the defensive end, like Hakeem did by erasing defensive mistakes, blocking shots, or simply deterring shots; or whether it's on the offensive end, like what Chris Paul does with distributing, putting players in a position to score, and avoiding bad trips down the court. Mobley was the top defensive player in the NCAA last year and a top 10 offensive player -- in the entire NCAA. A rare feat to be at the top of both metrics.

Jalen Green? Well, he's great at glam dunking.

I'll take the workhorse over the show horse any day.

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. hakeemthagreat

How injury prone was Christian Wood before he got here? Anytime you have slim mobile bigmen their legs are at risk. They move like guards but use longer strides which if stepped on ankle or plant awkward can be career altering. Bigmen also take longer to recover from these type injuries

saleem likes this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

you make good points but then follow it up with the strangest conclusions. Lol.

So far … Jalen a green appears to be the workhorse. AND the show horse. See: MJ, Kobe, Nique, Vince, etc.

I’m not saying he’s going to be that good or not… but someone’s athleticism and ability to dunk doesn’t always correlate with their work ethic.

5. JayZ750

Im going to give it a listen… but summary?

6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

My point is that defense, on-court leadership, and elevating the opportunities for those around you are often-overlooked traits. Falling in love with dunking on highlight reels is the classic trap that non-scout fans fall into. The workhorse in my analogy is the player, like Mobley, who plays outstanding defense and improves his team's offense by shooting a high percentage, grabbing offensive rebounds, and freeing up space for shooters. Mobley's game doesn't translate to Youtube as well as Green's... but translates to winning better.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

I think Green is a work horse.

Not a complete player yet but his offense is so advanced because he worked hard at it.

#287 D-rock, Jul 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wood's injury was a freak injury albeit a common one, it had zero to do with thin legs.

If you've played any ball, ankle sprains are a fact of life.

And ankle sprains are not career altering, that's crazy talk.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  9. JayZ750

I mean, maybe. Been through this with DRock.

there’s no planet where I’m choosing AD over Steph or Harden all else (injuries, age, contract) being equal. 25 years ago, sure. Today, no way.

doesn’t mean you can win a ring without a defensive leader and presence… just I’m not choosing that first

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

This is what I would have bolded:

Mobley was the top defensive player in the NCAA last year and a top 10 offensive player -- in the entire NCAA. A rare feat to be at the top of both metrics.

11. dmoneybangbang

https://omny.fm/shows/duncd-on-bask...il-game-6-mia-offseason-outlook-evan-mobley-s

Good podcast. Mobley starts @ 46.00

Essentially Mobley is an enigma. I think it leans more towards the feeling the Green Gang feels about Mobley, but still a tantalizing prospect. They both agreed about his effort being just okay, Nate kept using "economy of motion".

12. hakeemthagreat

Listen. You argued with me for months about how Ben Simmons shouldve been our cornerstone after Harden. You really thought that. Just trust me in saying Mobley isnt our guy and Green is

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

I never said Ben Simmons should be Rockets "cornerstone".

You just can't stop making shyte up can you?

Now you are trying to convince me that ankle sprains are career ending???

What's next, the world is flat?

14. dmoneybangbang

I really don't see Mobley as a 5 and I don't think Stone wants a certain position.

Mobley can be Giannis light, but I have a hard time seeing Mobley having as tight of a handle at 7 foot with super long legs. Mobley should be able to operate out of the elbow and is probably a better passer than Giannis. However, I don't see Mobley being able to deal with the physicality that Giannis can.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Giannis before or after he added the muscle?

And FYI, Mobley is more physical than Giannis at same time in their careers.

#Fact

16. dmoneybangbang

I don't see Mobley being as strong as Giannis since he has that high center of gravity. That high ass means he will always be giving up leverage.

Based on what? Giannis doesn't have the same frame as Mobley, Giannis has your prototypical wing frame. Mobley isn't some bruiser at USC, that was his brother. Mobley was more finesse.

17. hakeemthagreat

Oh yes you did lol. Clearly if youre trading James Harden you need either multiple 1st round picks or another cornerstone young player to build around. You were THE LOUDEST supporter in bringing in Simmons and building a team around his jumpshot. You also defended him all offseason. I ofcourse was adamant on not trading for him

In the end, i ended up 100% correct and every sports fan got to see Simmons melt down on national tv. You ofcourse were atrociously wrong. So reading 2 your takes on Mobley now is comical.

You're still allowed to give your opinion here?

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

Quote me on cornerstone. You can't because you are a liar.

And Simmons may not have won a championship or made it to Finals but he helped the 76ers to the #1 ranking in East.

But stupid people like you prefer to be the WORST team in the NBA instead.

You deserve Oladipo as your top 3 player.

19. hakeemthagreat

The Sixers should be in the finals but theyre not thanks to you're cornerstone lol. He also hurt his own stock by his own abysmal playoff performance. This is YOUR guy. This is who D-Rock defended against ppl like me who predicted this would happen. Yet you're back to calling ppl stupid? No. YOU’RE the stupid one for thinking we should trade James Harden for a guy who's scared of his own jumpshot

20. H.D.

H.D. Member

Green is only 6'5" if he's wearing your best heels, Reeko.