1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it needs to be Mobley...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 27, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Hate to say it but I thought Giannis could be that kind of player.

Never would have imagined him ballooning up and playing bully ball however.

I thought he was going to be Magic-lite.

Also believe Ja Morant will be that kind of player 1 day.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

3. Salvy

Salvy Member

I felt the same about Giannis, Morant is pretty much Green thou...

D-rock likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Similar athleticism, body control and wingspan - absolutely.

But Ja is a better defender, has higher BBIQ and most importantly is an elite playmaker.

If Green was a 6'6 Ja Morant, he would be my undisputed pick in this draft.

Below is scouting profile on Morant going into the draft.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I can't speak for others just me. I am not impressed that Mobley was guarding
    5'11" Tyger Campbell or 6'8" centers in college......thus not the defensive, "quote
    unquote, "impact."

If I'm told Mobley can guard positions 1-5 and find out he can't.....I'm not happy.
    I feel that I'm sold a bad bill of goods. A bait and switch.

Mobley Mob know Evan can't guard centers as a starter in the NBA. When we call them out after
    we draft Mobley.....then they are going to switch it to, "no no no, we didn't mean
    that he can guard centers on a regular basis in the NBA." "We meant that he can guard
    1-5.......in college."

It's not like we can return the #2 pick D......it's buyer beware. No give backs.

Same with the defense vs Steph Curry, Ja Morant, Trae Young...."we (Mobley Mob) didn't
    see a difference offensively between Alfonso Plummer/Tyger Campbell and the offense of
    Steph Curry, Ja Morant, Trae Young." Really, please. You are being silly !!

I'm done talking about Green vs Mobley.....until draft day. I leave you the last word.

#265 ApacheWarrior, Jul 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    dmoneybangbang and D-rock like this.
  6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Mobley had the top defensive rating in the NCAA last year. His defensive bonafides cannot get any better than that.

Rudyc281, zmomin and D-rock like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

We sure as hell know that he can guard Wiseman's ass for the win.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. Salvy

Salvy Member

I don't know man, I feel like Green can be every bit of a playmaker that is Ja, actually I even feel like Green has a way higher ceiling.

i3artow i3aller and D-rock like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ja averaged 10 assists before he was drafted. Actually averaged Hardenesque numbers, almost a trip dub.

And in his 2 seasons in NBA he is averaging 7 assists.

His vision, ball handling, IQ and passing are superior to Green - not hyperbole on my part at all.

jiggyfly and Salvy like this.
  10. kiwirocketsfan

Mobley's defensive IQ and potential as a defensive 'QB' is the thing that appeals to me the most about him. He will make everyone else better I believe.

Rudyc281, El_Conquistador and D-rock like this.
  11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Apache this is something I’ve been concerned about, too…

HOWEVER ultimately you just won’t know for sure what translates and all we can go on is the best available information. And that is that Mobley is indeed uniquely suited from a footwork, mobility, athleticism and length perspective to guard 1-5 at least somewhat effectively if not REALLY effectively.

I share your concerns about him guarding 5s more than guarding guards the most. Look no one is guarding Steph or KD or Harden really well. But there’s no reason to think that Mobley would be worse than 99% of the other bigs in the league at switching on the perimeter. But he’s definitely light in the pants at the moment… so yeah he may get backed down by folks. Hopefully he makes up for that with great situational awareness and weak side rim protection.

the reason this pick is indeed so controversial … and I lean Green but would be “ok” with either and would REALLY like to see a KPJ/Green/Mobley combo… is because there are question marks about both players while simultaneously if both players are all as advertised and reach their peak both can be REALLY REALLY key to a championship squad.

ApacheWarrior and D-rock like this.
  12. Salvy

Salvy Member

I get that, but Ja is a PG and Green is a Guard. You are totally right about Ja, but Green has a different vibe I think. Its not just because of the hype or the 70% chance of him being a Rocket. I just feel like this dude is going to be big, bigger than Cade. There is something about him and his size alone is already an advantage over Morant. Yes, he is very raw but I think he has something. Some even say Kobe like.

D-rock and dmoneybangbang like this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

I think Mobley will be more of a giant wing in the NBA. I'm not saying that's not worthy of the #2, but it's not what he's being sold as.

Rudyc281 and ApacheWarrior like this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

For the same reason Ja can improve his scoring ability is the same reason Green can improve his playmaking. I don't think Ja will ever be the type of pure scorer Green is and Green will never able to run an offense as well as Ja.

Salvy likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

16. i3artow i3aller

Who do ya'll think we will pick? Not who you'd like mind you, but rather the prospect we end up drafting. My gut says Mobley.

Rudyc281, D-rock and Salvy like this.
  17. Salvy

Salvy Member

Yeah same, I see Stone picking Mobley. He is going the long term route. Mobley is a very mature and responsible pick. I think Morey would be a dead lock on Green. I sort of feel like the first few years are going to be painful watching Green and Cade rise up as big time scorers and players. Please pan out Mobley!!

D-rock likes this.
  18. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

I have been team whoever Stone wants but the latest Duncd On podcast just did an hour breakdown on him and has all times of yikes about it

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Or better yet, one in front court and one in the back court.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, back in March my mindset was that Mobley can play SF if he fails at
    transitioning to PF or Center in the NBA. Have a higher ceiling than Kenyon
    Martin jr and Tate (in that order) at SF......but since I've noticed how high in his
    stance defensively Mobley is and I question Evan's motivation or desire to
    play basketball.

I know he has been motivated to be a top 3 pick as noted by his work with trainers; ,
    but what happens after that? Podcasts have brought up that he really doesn't like
    basketball and I have noted other players in the past that were questioned like David
    Robinson and Omeka Okafor that have gone on to be good in the NBA.

One scouting report I read was very favorable to Evan Mobley did recount
    that the coaches had to get after Mobley to be aggressive; he was M.I.A.
    too often early in the season. So this is a red flag to me, is it normal
    scatterbrained 18 and 19 year old teenage lack of motivation or will
    it be a recurring theme with Mobley. Someone needing to light a fire
    under him often?

I've come to believe that actually Kenyon Martin jr has the higher ceiling
    at SF between KMjr and Mobley. I don't like Mobley at center except in
    Small-Ball lineups; in which I'm fine with training Kai Jones or Garuba or
    Thor, or even Murphy IIi to be eventually be for the Rockets.

So the only need I find for drafting Mobley#2 is to be the replacement for Wood
    in the near future as Wood demands max money. I could make that same argument
    for drafting Jalen Green at #2 to be Eric Gordon's replacement in the near future
    when his contract expires or he is moved.....still have Kai Jones, Garuba, Thor as
    options to train as Wood replacement in a year. I'm getting the feeling Tilman will
    go over the Luxury Tax off of what Stone said recently. Olynyk bird rights allows the
    Rockets to do just that. With Olynyk backing up Wood at PF.......isn't Mobley at #2
    too rich/risky for the Rockets? It is for me.

I said too much, now let that be the last I say on the matter until draft day threads.
    I registered my reservations and I'm on record. No one should doubt where I stand.