1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it needs to be Mobley...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 27, 2021.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

If we’re taking Green’s coaches as ‘gospel’…

Deuce, Rudyc281 and D-rock like this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I’m increasingly torn by the choice. Inching towards 55/45 green if not 51/49 green. I was 60/40 green. (@jiggyfly see I have the right to change my mind lol!)

that said I’m a bit perplexed by all these “he could play wing” takes. Is it possible? Sure anything is possible. But nothing in his reel or repertoire right now shows he can legit play SF. Can he hit a 3? Sure… but the % needs to go WAY UP. Can he dribble? Yes… but not exactly with KD/PG/Kawhi/Lebron fluidity.

heck CWood is currently a better (much) three point shooter and dribbler and no one is like “let’s play him at the wing!” What’s more… if he could play wing (doubtful) what does that mean? Oh also have a PF and center. For hypothetical me since these guys were on our team, does that mean you play Mobley/Wood/Olynk together? Lol. Heck no. With Tate sure, or KMJ sure… but then those guys are “really” your wings.

what’s more the defensive versatility that makes Mobley great… is so because he can play C/big, yet still switch onto the perimeter.

On other concern I have is the plethora of videos I see lately of Mobley passing out of post up doubles (or triples) and the comment being like “amazing passer, Mobley to CWood incoming!”

ain’t nobody going to be double teaming Mobley in the post in the NBA. Not for a bit at least and even if ever… never a ton. AD/Jokic/Embiid … those it’s aren’t double teamed much. Moreover it seems unlikely they’d be going to Mobley in the post much anyway for a bit.

That said… absolutely he’s a great passer… I think the model there should be more Jokic… where he is playing point-center and posting top of the key as the offense moves around him. Not sure Mobley has that in him yet, but I can see it and would be more intrigued by that guy that is also a DPOY candidate than Evan Mobley the maybe wing that can also post up on the low block and hopefully get doubled.

After all… Denver with Murray maybe is in the Finals right now (yes they got swept but also yes Murray is that important to them… they didn’t have near the depth of the Clippers to withstand the injury). Denver with Murray and with a Jokic that is a DPOY candidate is almost assuredly in the Finals right now.

anyway, as I’ve said many times now… give me both Green AND Mobley.

KPJ (who I think can be the best of the 3 anyway), Green, Mobley core is LEGIT and on timeline.

sydmill, Deuce, Rudyc281 and 3 others like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How do we accomplish this? Trade 23 and 24 along with Wood to Cleveland?

I'm mean I would be hyped for a Green/KPJ/Mobley core. We need to find a way to ship out Wall though. Keep Olynyk and Augustine for solid veteran precense.

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

It doesn’t NEED to be Mobley, but it’s going to be. He’s by far the best pick moving forward for this franchise!

albuster, Rudyc281 and D-rock like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Has ability to play wing does not mean he will play wing, that just goes to Mobley's versatility.

How and why are posters spinning this into a negative?

And Silas employs a 5 out offense, what does name of position even matter if every Rocket is positioned on the arc?

Finally, no one double teamed Olynyk and he was still able to PnR with Wood, KJ, etc.

Mobley can pass from different platforms, not just the post.

And Mobley going downhill to the rim will force a defensive rotation if not an outright double, the lob/pass will be there for him all game.

Especially with all that crazy space in NBA.

Rudyc281 and jiggyfly like this.
  6. JayZ750

yeah something like that. I’d add another asset if necessary - say that Detroit pick. Im not interested in being OKC and stockpiling a trillion picks. Im not giving away it all or anything but a smart fair value trade works for me.

i proposed something a week back that was similar and we took back Kevin Love… I don’t know how the Cavs value Love. It might be that any deal that ships him off without adding picks is a plus to them. Or maybe they think they’ve suffered through crap with him for two years now and there hoping he can finally be healthy and increase his value.

I don’t understand their apparent push to move Sexton. I mean I get he’s a short SG basically at this point… but he seems to be their best draft pick recently and because maybe Green (or Suggs) will be available and they’d become really guard heavy they’d be in a rush to move Sexton???? Honestly who knows? I just know Wood would be really solid for them, next to a resigned Allen (so similar concept to what we’re potentially thinking with Wood/Mobley) and then they can keep Sexton, etc.

7. JayZ750

i don’t think it’s a negative I just don’t think people should be like “he can play wing!!” Cause to me that implies a different type of player. Rather they’re just saying he can be a floor spacing big. But even that still requires the leap of faith that he comes a much better three point shooter.

as to the passing comment… yes exactly I want him to pass out of areas other than the low post being doubles… which I think he can do… but most of the highlights are of him passing out of the post because indeed in college it made a lot of sense to go to him in the post a lot.

D-rock likes this.
  8. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

So torn as well, just like many of you. Regardless, the man needs to wear high tops.

D-rock likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

I actually believe Mobley CAN play wing, just not his best position until he is better 3ball shooter - which I have no doubt will happen due to his his shooting form. Mobley is a more natural shooter than Giannis and even Giannis has improved.

But Mobley's best position right now is the 4.

And small ball 5.

10. JayZ750

Again when you say play wing you mean like a PG Kawhi, KD, Tatum, Ingram?? Cause I don’t really see that….

but more importantly when you say can play wing… with what as the 4/5?

cause to the extent Giannis plays wing… it would PJ as one of the other bigs… they’re not playing Giannis, Lopez and Bobby Porto’s together for instance.

in other words, again when I hear “wing”. O me it’s a guy that can play 2-4 (or even 1-4 being the primary ballhandler).

but absolutely to the extent someone is saying he has a better ability to play “wing” than Ayton or Embiid…. Sure.

but again … it will depend a lot of his three point shot… which so far as been underwhelming.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wing is traditionally defined as SG-SF.

Wing playing 1-4 is a misnomer.

Mobley can absolutely play 3-5.

Mobley played SF and guard before his growth spurt and even during that transition.

And people need to remember that this kid is only a year removed from HS.

That growth spurt was not all that long ago for him.

JayGoogle likes this.
  12. Roc Paint

Of course, until he put muscle on. I’ll give him two or three years and then he will be my rock in the paint.

13. Roc Paint

No one will be able to touch this 7’ footer in three years!

all the while he’ll be touching everybody legally with no answers from the other teams

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

18. JayZ750

Right so when i think Mobley and wing I think as 3-5 not 2-4. And i think with a Tate or KMJ as one of the other two front court players, not with two other legit bigs. Which kind of means he definition is pointless… position-less.

doing more podcast/YouTube listening and back to 60/40 Green lol.

I can’t get past the fact that while he may have a “different kind of passion” … there’s way more of a chance that Mobley just isn’t quite as excited / wanting to be dominant as you’d want. I dont take unfounded rumors or whatever with much weight, but there’s at least a little bit of smoke there… heck that’s the reason that article @J.R. posted was written in the first place… cause there are questions. You’re not getting that article about the other 3.

And I think in a vacuum, no one else on your team, starting from compete scratch, if Cade is gone, who do you choose next, and i definitely lean towards Green… and heck Suggs even catches way up there.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mobley is clear 2nd pick for me.

Not just because of greater upside and best scheme flex.

Because DEFENSE matters.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

CF is mistaking professionalism, class, humility, team first mentality for lack of assertiveness, for weakness.

Ridiculous.

Mobley is a vocal leader especially on defense, he is just not a clown show on the court.

USC was not projected to even be in March Madness, let alone all the way to Elite 8.

His coaches and teammates credit Mobley for flipping that narrative.