1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it needs to be Mobley...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 27, 2021.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

You’re an absolute know it all with Aaron Gordon , Ben Simmons and now Evan Mobley. I like all three and think they are awesome. I’m not going to sit here and let you start being an absolute know it all about anything negative regarding Jalen Green. He’s a star and he’s ours.

2. Milos

Milos Member

But that was supposed to be THE ONE & ONLY NBA-level skill that Green would have to rely upon from day one

He was supposed to be the most NBA-ready ISO scorer available in this entire draft class

He was the only top-5 pick who arrived without any notable affect on the game defensively or as a playmaker for those around him

All the projection for him was about the other areas of his game ( and his body ) developing to complement his single go-to NBA skill over time

He was hyped as the type that could immediately:
    - create space for himself to get off a lethal jumper
    - use his lightning-quick 1st-step to blow by his man
    - explode with his other-wordly hang time to finish thru/over the DEF at the rim or get to the line

So far, none of those traits have consistently been reliable for Green, other than against the (other) worst team in the league vs OKC

Isn't it at least a little disheartening to see him struggle so mightily in this one facet out of the gate?

I'm not giving up on the kid, and I never expected any of his strengths to translate into wins the first couple of seasons ...

But damn I at least expected something fun and exciting every night to make all the losses watchable

I certainly didn't expect him to be repeatedly out-played by his rookie teammate, another 19-yo taken 14 picks later!!!

#2142 Milos, Oct 31, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    palmsnbananas, NewAge and D-rock like this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Over 100 pages for a guy we didn’t even draft... 5 games into the season

You can’t Clutchfans isn’t lit

4. Caesar

Caesar Member

Can we move this out of the GARM and make it a MOF thread?

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. i3artow i3aller

Good reminder as to why it's never wise to overreact six games into a season.

#Montrezl4MVP

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

I'm not negative about Green.

I'm the one who pushed his nick, Thriller.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

He's ours... but he is definitely not a star yet.

D-rock and arabrocket like this.
  8. Milos

Milos Member

He is ... in a lesser Kardashian type of way
    Let's hope the basketball game catches up to his 'influencer' game

NewAge and tycoonchip like this.
  9. NewAge

NewAge Member

100% agree. He can’t beat anybody one-on-one, so now people are saying "we need to run plays to get him spot-ups", but that’s not who he was supposed to be.
    What I’ve said several times is (and got yelled at): move him to the bench and see if he can eat against second-stringers. Hopefully that would give him some confidence and positive reinforcement.

palmsnbananas, D-rock and Milos like this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

also a great reminder why you dont need to tank

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

CXbby, D-rock, Caesar and 2 others like this.
  12. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Yep.
    Masai imo has proven to be up there with pretty much anyone (Daryl, Presti, Buford, whomever) in talent evaluation and drafting with his track record.
    Even Delano Banton has been looking like an absolute steal at #46!

We can only hope our "Stone-age" decisions turn out as good!

D-rock likes this.
  13. i3artow i3aller

Looks like even more minutes for Mobley starting tonight in a fun match up vs the Hornets.

D-rock likes this.
  14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

That's how I feel too. I think the only thing that was promised that was true was his lightning quickness and first step. He is about as fast as advertised. Too bad everything else is kinda meh to really bad. Surprised to see how not ready his body was for the NBA.

I would feel better if his 3 pointer was more consistent, but so far he had 1 good shooting night.

Milos likes this.
  15. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

How sad is it that you guys are following a player thats not even on our team lol And for the people saying the Cavs are good now because of Mobley and not because they have a new system with two point guards averaging near 10 assists per game, Kevin Love went 650 games without a dunk until this season. But its not the point guards and new system its Mobley lol

#2155 Joe Rocket, Nov 1, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    hakeem94 likes this.
  16. CXbby

CXbby Member

Seriously, this. The constant and painful reminder is masochistic at this point. Why are we even still focused on Mobley anyway, he’s hardly unique as someone better that we passed up on… there’s at least 4 other rookies all significantly better than Green right now.

:(

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Have faith. Check out some of the juggernaut names on this rookie ladder list from 2014 ... https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/tarik-black-ranked-number-10-on-nba-coms-rookie-ladder.260238/

Or... you can completely lose your mind and just follow Yahoo where I think they've completely lost their minds :D

Easy and palmsnbananas like this.
  18. CXbby

CXbby Member

The 2014 draft doesn’t make me feel much better, the only star player that came out of that draft was Embiid and the only reason why he wasn’t on that rookie ladder was because he sat out year 1.

:(

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, there was that Jokic guy. And there's no guarantee every player at the top of this ladder will turn in to a 20/10 guy. Still way too early to come to a conclusion about any of these players.

20. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member