1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it’s time to move along from Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DCRocket, Jan 10, 2024.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I'm not out on Green, but I do think he needs to come off the bench for a while. He may thrive in that role -- look at the Jazz. One of the reasons they are hot is that Clarkson is KILLING it coming off the bench. I could totally see Green excelling in a sixth man scoring spark role.

2. bmelo

bmelo Member

remember when Giannis were skinny and was a scrub? I imagine if Jalen adds 15-20 pounds he is suddenly superstar. The thing is he has all the skills(maybe he isnt curry from three), but he has to use 100% of speed and skill just to get a bucket now. Sengun can just throw his ass most of the time and get an easy one. Jalen cant do that right now, his every shot is ****ing ballet. If he gets stronger he will be top scorer in the league and you dont trade that but hold on and see if he does

3. maypk

maypk Member

Surely you don't mean NBA when you say "the league", right?

4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

15-20 lbs on his frame is a tall order. I see no reason to trade him for peanuts. We don’t have to do anything about his money for another year. Give him a chance with a real coach and see what we have. I am starting to have doubts, however. I still think our best course of action is to trade for Brogdon and let Amen, Jalen, Cam, and Tari lead what could be an incredible bench unit this year.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

To me, the reason you move Jalen to the bench is not just because that appears to be where his future in the league is going to be, but because you already have someone on the team that deserves to start more.

Jalen's most delusional fans speculate that in his 5th or 6th year MAYBE he could morph into a quality player that can hit the 3 at a decent clip and has a respectable TS%.....and at the same time, as a rookie, Cam Whitmore already is hitting 37.8% from 3 and has a 61.4 TS%....

It's simply not fair to better players to have a scrub like Jalen in the starting lineup, bring him off the bench and see if he can thrive in that role because he's failed to do so as a starter.

MarioKissoDeath likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This real coach talk will get old and then you realize Udoker is here for the whole team and winning and not just to babysit Jalen.......

Some do better under him and some not that well......we'll see.

Players develop and others don't, it was always this way, it is and it will be.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

No because Claxton is a rental. He won’t re-sign for a reasonable amount to be a backup. Bridges has 2 years left and then becomes a near max. I would consider all the Nets picks, Tate, and filler for Bridges and if they want to throw in Claxton great. Either keep Jalen or use him to re-furbish our assets in a trade. I think Jalen still has potential, but would love to see him learning off the bench with Amen and Cam.

MystikArkitect likes this.
  8. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

You said it. He has to use:100% of his speed to get a bucket now. People don't realize part of the reason he's struggled this season is because of the weight/muscle gain. Adding 15 - 20 pounds is only going to slow him down more. He was much faster/quicker the last couple of seasons. If he wants to be a superstar then his size shouldn't be a factor. He's not an elite dribbler or elite shooter. That's what separates him from the pack. Players like Gilbert Arenas, Iverson, Lou Williams, Jamal Crawford, Monta Ellis, etc - they didnt need to be built like Mighty Mouse to be great. Jalen's not a great passer/playmaker either so he needs to not focus on getting stronger and just work on getting better.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  9. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

That boy be living on an alternative dimension if he thinks that Green will ever be the top scorer in the NBA.

xtruroyaltyx, clutchdabear and maypk like this.
  10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I would seriously consider. Bridges is kind of also an unknown though (in terms of star potential). I would trade Jalen for Bridges straight up. And I think if Brooklyn is interested, it's because of the picks, not because of Jalen. And my hesitation is also because of the picks. I would have no interest in Claxton other than a decent backup for Sengun.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There maybe an alternate dimension. Green might only be a 2nd Round 50th pick.

13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

You wouldn't trade Green + Amen for Murray? It's going to take waaay more than Green for a 27 year old 46% fg and 39% 3pt and 5 assists - a real, legit SG - on a team friendly contract. He alone would lift this team so much giving more options. We're getting cooked on the SG spot. I've given up on Green. Again I don't hate Amen but it's going to cost waaay more than Green. When your value is in "you were drafted #2 and your 21" - after 3 years in the NBA - then welp, that's value that drops by the day. And I don't want to give up the '24 Nets pick. If they would take a different pick I'd take that in place of Amen but I personally would take a lower redo on the draft in place of Amen. And you have to give to get.

I'm not sure you're overvaluing Green or Amen - or both.

B-Bob and GOATuve like this.
  14. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

I think he'll net more value then some people around here think. Teams take risks on young players. Especially teams that are in the middle of the pack with no real chance to win. Jalen Green can easily average 20+ on a bad team.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Waiting till close to the trade deadline to see if someone unexpected shakes loose.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

His field goal percentage has gone down every year. His 3pt percentage is the same as his rookie year. His true shooting percentage has gone down every year. Per 36 min his points steals and assists are down from last year. The only thing that’s improved is his rebounding and overall defense, which certainly isn’t nothing, but taken with the decline or lack of improvement in those other areas…ugh! No idea what people are talking about that he’s shooting better the last 10 games. He’s shooting 27% from 3 his last 5 games. This is not a starting nba shooting guard.

#356 Aruba77, Jan 14, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

When a player can't shoot consistently, believe them the first time. It's too bad, but the % definitely would have improved by now if that were going to be possible for JG. Sigh.

18. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

would much rather try to get a mid first rounder to get another stab at finding a good shooter/playmaker in the draft - this time, someone who isn't so much of a project like jalen or amen. can always find gems in the middle of the first (just look at our drafts) or players like tyrese maxey.

maybe a team like the knicks who have two mid-first round picks bet on jalen's supposed potential and pedigree as a former 2nd overall pick - i would take quentin grimes + 1 of their first rounders for jalen green.

19. MystikArkitect

The only player out there that I could see is Booker with the Suns. Young enough and essentially everything Jalen Green isn't. But he'd have to kick up a storm and demand out and I just don't see him doing that. Not sure of any other high upside SGs that could be on the move.

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

another option is trading Jalen for picks and just go out and sign Gary Trent Jr this offseason. He’s not a star but he’s young, he’s got size, he plays good defense, doesn’t need the ball to be effective, and he shoots lights out.