1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it’s time to move along from Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DCRocket, Jan 10, 2024.

1. marinara

marinara Member

im no fan boy but I just think it’s too early to give up on him yet

2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I guess I would have been considered a fan boy up until a month or two ago, so maybe I can answer.

It has everything to do with homerism.

If Jalen was on any other team no one would want him here as a Rocket. No one would look at him and think, “Now THAT is the guy I want to bring in, start, give 30+ minutes to and build around”

A lot of people get set in their ways. They’ve defended him so tough since we picked him and got excited about his potential and now they just won’t let go until the Rockets actually do something about it to force them to.

But they’ve become so invested in his success to prove the “haters” wrong they delusionally think because another fan doesn’t want a bad player they are a bad fan. I’d argue that the bad fan is the one prioritizing a bad players development at the expense of other players.

Jalen fans are the new KPJ is ok at PG fans.

Another thing I find weird about people who talk about the age of an nba player as it pertains to projecting their future success (I.e, player x is only 22 years old) is that we don’t use that same logic universally. It’s ok to project the absolute future of Dashien Nix because we assessed his short comings and determined that he’s probably not going to overcome them to be a decent nba player. We debate the potential of incoming rookies and that is ok. It’s perfectly acceptable to view almost every other player from high school prospect all the way to young nba player, despite their age and accept differing opinions about what that player will become as a seasoned professional…..

But the second you project what someone’s favorite player will become (and we actually have NBA data on them)…you’re an “idiot” and “look at all the other young players that have started poor and became good”…like that means anything, completely ignoring that is technically an anomaly and there are thousands more that started poor and never became what people hoped they would.

So yeah, sorry for the long post but basically like I originally said it just comes down to Homerism and attachment and not being able to step back and view the player objectively.

#182 xtruroyaltyx, Jan 13, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2024
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Oh yeah totally, I have witnessed people trying to downplay Paolo Banchero and this dude is also just 21.......

Then the Grass is always greener elsewhere, guess what, the grass is green anywhere and nowhere.

#183 daywalker02, Jan 13, 2024
    REEKO_HTOWN and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  4. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

This team is a Couple Games over .500 because the Core of the Roster is 21 years old.

Fans really are impatient, it takes 24 years old and older to understand and get used to learning to Win in different ways.

Believe It! likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The gist is not having patience or impatience.

It is getting up as a sports fan and have things to talk about......oh yeah there might be negative things as well.....part of the game.

The Clock does not stop for the sports fan, because we all get older while the NBA replenishes old players with younger players every year......

We are always told to have patience, who has patience with the fans?

It is also part of the game to have 21 year olds contributing because of the cheaper contract situations.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I read somewhere on reddit yesterday that Houston is looking for a starter by the February deadline and they are ready to use Oladipo's and Landale 's contracts. Reddit is unreliable, but I thought it was interesting.
    It didn't mention the position that they're looking to upgrade.

TF probably wants to move Jalen Green for a veteran. I like Mikel Bridges, but he's struggling too. The Rockets shouldn't give the Nets all of their picks back for him.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It would be funny if Reddit said .....Rockets Starter Tate for trade.....major player incoming....

cml750 and saleem like this.
  8. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I'd offer Jalen + Amen + Oladipo + Jock = Dejounte Murray + Clint Capela. It's not that I'm against Amen but Jalen + filler alone won't get Murray.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

So all those who want to trade him now should send the homer glasses to all the GMs in the NBA... :D

cml750 likes this.
  10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love Murray, and have wanted him here, but that's waaaay too much.

jcmoon, REEKO_HTOWN and matchesmalone like this.
  11. Plowman

Supporting Member

Great post.

saleem and cml750 like this.
  12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's my whole point. Seeing him need 5 seasons to break out gives me hope. I remember people declaring him a bust too.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is still not really that good but at least he secured his starting position, it is different because starting was never in danger for Jalen Green until recently.

Coby played for a team that always crawled around 9-12th spot in the East.

14. dmoneybangbang

And without our wings Brooks and Eason….

Or you so hyper focused on hate that you forgot we are missing key guys.

Being a play-in team is getting results over expectations

15. dmoneybangbang

I’m laughing at the complaining about Green when the team is already over exceeding expectations.

Just comes off as entitled ignorance to me.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I want to see us churn through talent until we find the best fits and the best team. I want to see better asset mgmt and better personnel evaluation. If we hold onto Sengun/Tari/Bari/Cam/Dillon/FVV and add a couple more impact players (especially shooters), we are in great shape. I’m fine holding onto Amen, but he’s at least a 3-yr project. We should be trying to aggregate everyone else into a star player or players that have the potential to be stars. Let’s churn through and give this team what it needs. It doesn’t have to happen at the deadline, but it definitely needs to happen before next season.

It’s really about our GM and his ability to make good deals. We didn’t get much for the remnants of our contending team. We didn’t get much for guys like Wood and Olidipo. We didn’t get anything for our prospects like KJ, or our late 1st rounders like Josh, Garuba, etc. it’s like we wait until we have no choice but to trade someone and then of course we don’t get much of a return because we don’t have leverage.

just don’t see evidence that we can make proactive deals to progress this team despite having good assets for trade: a couple high ceiling prospects, picks, and some good vets on desirable contracts. Stone just isn’t up to the job.

#196 Aruba77, Jan 13, 2024
  17. dmoneybangbang

iT’S His mASsiVe EgO

BTW thabeet was bust, green is just disappointing at this point.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

To be honest both Thabeet and WIseman were results of poor scouting (Darko basically as well)........Thabeet only blocks shots and that is all he does........and he is terrible at anything else.

Some of those guys are not even qualified basketball players.....

I mean Sam Bowie was head and shoulders above Thabeet.

19. Plowman

Supporting Member

Not at all. It's about managing assets. Sure , we shouldn't put tooooo much stock in wins and losses. We want guys to develop. But, at a certain point...for the sake of the team's execution, morale....and, yes, W's.....

20. maypk

maypk Member

Are you serious? The team is clearly overexceeding expectations thanks to veteran additions and the huge leaps Jabari and Sengun took this season.
    The Rockets would be easily over .600 with an average, competent Shooting Guard.