1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why isn't Dwight passing out of the post?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by drowsy12, Apr 29, 2014.

1. chandlerbang21

Op missed the last 4 games. He IS passing from post but he doesnt get many chances due to his teamates not calling out the doubleteams

2. chandlerbang21

fixed:cool:

3. Rockness

Rockness Member

He does pass, but not often enough, he needs to pass out way more but players also need to be in the right position. I saw once where late in the 4th / OT, Daniels passed it to Howard and just moved to to the top of the key, Harden was a little to his right, Parsons at the FT line extended and Beverley in the corner. I was baffled at that cause A) Howard could never pass it out unless double teamed B) he was not being double teamed 90% of the time so Daniels should've stood at the top left, Harden top of the key and so on.

Also why when we pass to Howard, we go to the opposite corner and bring in that defender to actually have a chance to double-team? It as happened quite often where Howard was then forced to pass it out but either nobody was in position to receive it and thus causing a TO or a bad shot.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

We should probably put a rest to any Dwight criticism. He's been, by far, our best player in the playoffs.

He's stepped up his game big time...I wish I could say that about the Harden.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

/thread

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I think it was LMA after one of Portland's wins in this series who said they're not worried so much about Dwight as they are the Rockets' 3 point shooters.

So they don't double Dwight. (He winds up getting winded in the 2nd half, anyway.) And they harass the 3-point guys. Probably not a bad plan.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Y'all want him to pass back out to one of our crappy 3 point shooters or nonexistent cutters? They don't double and they don't come off the 3 point shooter on Howard's side, so he takes the high percentage shot.

The few times they have Daniels tossing it into the post, Howard looks for him.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The double team comes late because they know he can't shoot from 5 feet out. So they don't have to double him until he drives to the basket. But when he does, he's committed and he's not looking to pass.

9. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

the problem with the post up dwight game plan is the perimeter players are stagnant. NO ONE MOVES. they just watch. if they would just cut to the basket as he's backing down he'd pass to them. i blame that on mostly Mchale and any smart player would understand that movement creates opportunities. i scream at the TV constantly when this happens.

look at San Antonio. they don't just dump it in to Duncan and do nothing. someone is always cutting.

10. blk5g

blk5g Member

Because everyone stands around and you can't kick the ball out when that happens. On the few occasions that someone cuts, he's hit the slasher. Basketball 101 your guy leaves to double someone you cut to the basket, that alone will force help defense and will leave open a 3.

11. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

It's bad spacing. They dump him the ball and clear to the opposite corner. When the double comes there isn't any available passing lane. Whoever is at the top of the key should slide down to the wing or baseline where dwight is posting so he can pass out of the double team.

It's crazy how a bunch of internet posters can see this better than the rockets coaching staff.

12. yummyhawtsauce

100% agree. He has to stick to that role. Score in bunches, keep cutting, hit th eopen shot, play defense. Not taking contested 3s.

Granted - when he was on fire - the ball should have went to him more to keep portland's defense honest and giving other players open looks. i have no idea why mchale never feeds the hot hand...happens very rarely and so far not in the post season - (other than feeding dwight).

Dwight alone is not the solution. i emphasize team play but as someone mentioned, I think it was Woj - the team takes turns taking shots, resulting in a stagnant offense. everyone is ball watching...

13. Rockness

Rockness Member

True, very frustrating, they seem like a middle school team that just learns how to play basketball and have not been properly instructed by their coach.

14. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

I never understood this cut through the paint by the guard. I know Dwight is good enough to hit the cutter but it's not like Lin or Bev are slashing through the paint and trying to lose their guy, they're just going through the motions

It makes Dwight have to wait 2-3 extra seconds to get started on posting up

When the Lakers ran ISO's for Bynum, they had the guard wait at the perimeter and rotate to the weak side to draw their man out. Not slash through the paint and crowd the 5 who's supposed to be isolating

15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Because everyone else is choking.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The question should be "Why isn't Dwight playing like he did in Game 2?"

17. damnbiochem

damnbiochem Member

agreed on this. especially notice this when harden's got the ball. Usually he has a good percentage but even then it doesn't make sense to just stand and watch for a possible rebound. movement is so much better for creating easier shots but instead for w/e reason everyone just chills out around the perimeter and lets harden do a stepback jumper or drive into the lane.

18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

you dont pass out unless they double....and if anything..their double is coming late or not at all. They are gambling with Lopez and LMA on Howard...so far it has worked, but if the Rockets had a guy that could box out and rebound a miss they may just get more possessions.

if the double came early, Howard looked to pass...

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The real problem with Dwights post up play is that all the perimeter players move to the opposite have of the court the moment he camps in the block...

I would have one shooter available at the top of the arc available. Infact...putting a shooter like Daniels on the same side would force their guard to stay home or risk having a great shooter like Daniels make them pay.

20. bmd

bmd Member

They've been doubling Dwight ever since game 2 when he was smoking Lopez in the 1st quarter.