1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why isn't Dwight passing out of the post?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by drowsy12, Apr 29, 2014.

1. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

Even on double and triple teams?

Did all that Shaq bull**** on TNT get in his head?

2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Because there is no video of it.

3. MikeMania

MikeMania Member

Their help always comes late, when he is already driving. And I want to say he scores about 65% of the time he posts up so it isn't all bad. Lopez and LMa can't really stop him without fouling. I've noticed he doesn't spin to the baseline anymore, that's interesting.

4. impressivegol

impressivegol Member

I was wondering the same exact thing, then I realized that Portland aren't doubling him at all. So I believe the notion is 'if they're going try to guard him 1on1, score'.

And he has done well, either scoring or drawing fouls. He's always good for the 3/4 turnovers but iv already accepted that. Even after Lopez fouled out they still didn't double.

5. coffeelover665

everyone is guarded because theres no off ball movement. I think the best thing to do is give it to dwight in the post, run some stagger screens for trey D. Both guys get open nothing they can do

6. mig0s

mig0s Member

because 80% of the times he posts up, there's no guard on his side to pass it back. Watch game 4 again and you will see. Especially in the 4th quarter and OT.

7. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

Yes, every time the guard passes the ball into the post, they quickly run diagonally past Dwight taking their man with them into the opposite corner. Dwight might hand it off to the guard as he runs past but this is rare. He will keep the ball and then he has no one to pass to because his back is to the other 4 players.

8. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

some one has to come over after the guard clears when they see a double coming. sometimes there isn't a shooter in his vision.

9. Takeoff

Takeoff Member

I have been wondering this for the longest time. it really bothers me, especially when he sees the double team, and lets them reach him and simply holds the ball high above his head with one hand.

i think this is one of the biggest flaws and most under-emphasized flaws in his game. Even the simple pass to the nearest guard out on the wing would help, bc the defense would be scrambling as we swing to the corner for an open three.

For example, shaq was excellent at this and during the lakers three peat he would not hesitate to pass out of the double. he made quick and simple reads and trusted his teammates. Fox, Fisher and Horry got a million threes out of this.

Hakeem and Yao were also excellent passers.

And i dont think that dwight lacks the vision, its that he most of the time he thinks he can still score against the double. and sometimes he does, but other times he'll turn the ball over and most times we fail to capitalize on a helping, scrambling defense.

I really really hope he improves upon this. Chandler and Tjones are great finishers cutting to the hoop, and we all know how dangerous our shooters can be with open looks.

10. makio9

makio9 Member

When I saw Dwight on the post with the ball, the 4 other players were cleared totally on the other side of the court, away from Dwight where passes were not possible.

They need to have Troy Daniels standing on this side of the court where Dwight can outlet. If Daniels man goes to double then it's an easy pass over the SG's head to Daniels for 3. If he doesn't double then there is no difference, Dwight still has the same room he would have had before.

There's just no brains!

11. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Apart from Troy Daniels & first half Parsons, who can he pass to that will actually make a shot?

12. queazie

queazie Member

Because if he did, he will not have the ball back :)

13. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Next season we should get a strong coach that will say FU to Dwight and Parsons one on one bull****.

Dwight has proven he isn't a back to the basket post-move bigman. Stick to what he does best, lock down post defender / shot block. A big man that can catch and finish around the basket, is excellent when rolling to the basket. Give him maybe one or two post-ups depending on match-ups but it should definitely not be a go to play in crunch time - McHale fails here.

Parsons is a utility player. That role should not be underestimated. PARSONS IS NOT A 3rd OPTION. He may often be the 3rd highest scorer but he needs to get his points in the flow of the game and not force anything. Most importantly he needs to be humble and play F***ing defense!

14. archinkent

archinkent Member

Because most of the time he is not supposed to (unless double teamed). When the passer moves to weak side after passing him the ball, then it's an iso post up play.

15. Panda23

Panda23 Member

IMA GET DA BALL

IMA DUNK IT

16. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Last game I thought 2 times he passed out and was immediately re-posted by Harden. So he does and he also gets the ball back.

17. dragician

dragician Member

THIS THIS THIS.

Whenever he is posting up, he is always committed to drive to the basket, hence, triple team.

And one more thing that overtime first possession, game 4, where he lost that ball. why did he not hold on to it and challenge anyone on jumpball since he can beat anybody on a jump ball. terrible BBIQ.

18. DocRock

DocRock Member

-Bad shooters (Bev, Lin, Jones)
    -Bad spacing (Asik)
    -Bad off-ball movement/effort (Harden)
    -Zero trust that they'll play like veterans and re-post him if he passes it out
    -Not his skillset

19. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

The only time the wings stay in a position where he can actually pass is when they're doing a repost. Other than that, they seem to just sit there away from him. No movement. Maybe they're waiting for the double team so they come open and Dwight can pass it to them as the defense collapses on him. But that double team is not coming.

An adjustment is critical now. We need a lot more off ball screens and back cuts to get shooters open for easy passes from Dwight. Stop waiting on the double team that isn't coming and get yourself open.

20. egriffin1

egriffin1 Member

what we are finding out is that the style of play has not been conducive to playoff basketball. Our HC can not adjust and we have one brain cramping ass point guard that makes the worse decisions at the worst times.

Howard has been killing in the post and maybe he would pass out of the post if players would move, make cuts and make themselves available....UNLESS, McHale is telling them to do that.