1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why isn’t Jalen Green running the offense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jan 15, 2022.

?

Is Silas a good coach?

Poll closed Feb 15, 2022.
  1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. No

66 vote(s)
    79.5%
  1. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

"throwing him to the wolves" That is such ridiculous statement that I hate that SIlas even said it. Peopel are using it like its a real thing? You know who says that people who dont actually play basketball. Thats who says **** like that. You learn in basketball by doing. If "Throwing him to the wolves" was a real thing it is sending him out there without a real pg and running no ****ing plays for him and ignoring the best part of his game which is transition offense. Its bullshit. Is KPJ being thrown to the wolves because from what I see Jalen is a much better passer than him already. We are forsaking both top rookies passing games for KPJ and its driving me nuts.

#81 Joe Rocket, Jan 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  2. mightybosstone

I don't believe Green is ready or capable of truly "running the offense," at least not a good NBA one, but I don't think KPJ is either. Basically the Rockets have a bunch of score-first combo guards who can occasionally make plays for others, but no true point on the team. I do think I'd like to see Jalen have the ball in his hands a little more, though, and he's shown he can make good things happen when he's not just standing in the corner.

apollo33 likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Jalen Green is doing great developing as a SG, let's let him get efficient at that before we give a 19 year old even more responsibility? Let him develop good habits and have some success before we expand his role.

The Rebound last night late was evidence of impacting the game without the ball and to me showed major improvement.

DD

jcmoon, D-rock and mightybosstone like this.
  4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Imagine going from playing with Garland and Allen to KPJ and Wood.

ThatboyPhuong and Joe Rocket like this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

At this point, considerably better than Jalen Green, or anyone else on the team can.

Is KPJ still a work in progress? Of course, but he wasn't expected to be a finished product yet.

Jalen Green is a completely raw prospect, if you had him attempt to run the offense he'd be playing worse than he already is...... do you really want him averaging 7 or 8 turnovers a game? Would that really boost his development?

As it stands there are 2 Rockets on the roster who have played significant minutes averaging more turnovers than assists, Jalen Green and Daniel Theis..... neither have any arguement to be running the offense.

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Whilst I don't think the Rockets should assign him full-on point guard duties, his touches on a per game basis is dropping.

Green was initially slightly ahead of Tate in touches per game, but now has fallen behind. Essentially, in the Rocket's starting lineup, Green is the least involved in the overall offensive scheme.

For the sake of his development, it actually might be a good idea to have him come off the bench. I'm really not a big fan of how Silas is using any of the rookies at the moment, as well as his weird fixation with KPJ and Wood to the point where even our best player (Gordon) is standing around in key moments of the game. The game against Sacramento exposed this somewhat, with KPJ and Wood taking turns committing bad turnovers until the ball finally went to Gordon who closed the game out.

Roomba, Nook, Amel and 5 others like this.
  7. PhiSlammaJamma

You have to learn how to score first. Then you can learn to pass out of the doubles. But he must learn to score in order to become a passer. Harden is rare. Don't expect it. Want to see Jalen Buckets first.

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

damn, SIlas said that?

9. PatBev

PatBev Member

I don’t think Green will ever be the type of player who can lead a team like that. He seems like Bradley Beal to me. A all-star level talent SHOOTING guard

He might be able to run a offense in burst when he is a lot older end more confident but there is no way he could handle that right now lol I think he would get embarrassed

I actually think KPJ/Green will compliment each other. Porter has the talent, but I hope Green can develop enough where KPJ doesn’t have to be CP3

Denovo, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  10. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I disagree some of his passes show point guard vision. He's literally the only one who can pass correctly in a pick and roll. You see it with Tate and Sengun a lot. They just dont give him the ball in those situations enough.

11. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

You need to actually get the ball to sccore. He's averaging 15 a game barely getting the ball.

#91 Joe Rocket, Jan 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  12. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I don’t know this is true or not. I just think the Rockets are evaluating KPJ for this year and has committed to him as we have heard Stone and Silas’ public statements on it. We have seen flashes of Green handling the ball and making the right reads and making plays off s&r. I’m not sure why everything runs through KPJ and can only infer that’s what management and coaching staff wants. I assume that KPJ may be either benched, traded or moved to another position 3/4 of the season or next year if his performance doesn’t improve.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Because it is logical to look for better PGs when your team is going through a rebuilding phase.

You do not commit unless the guy is a Top 10 pick which KPJ is not. (technically)

Joe Rocket likes this.
  14. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I’m only going by what the organization is saying publicly. It doesn’t mean the team sees Porter as a long term player or cemented his role. It’s simply trying it out and sticking with him for now. It’s an experiment and we see that it’s not working. But I think there needs to be a bigger sample size and more time. This is why I believe they are trying out KPJ at the starting 1 and I believe they are giving him this rest of the season but wouldn’t be surprised if he gets benched at some point.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

As bad as KPJ may be at PG, Green would be worse.

Green's handle especially in half court is dangerously high and loose.

16. MystikArkitect

So two "team first" guys to two "me first" guys?

Garland and Green would be ridiculous.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  17. verysimplejason

Green isn't suited to be a PG. He's more of a slasher type of player.

D-rock likes this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

His handles are very suspect.....he is fast but he is not quick with the ball changing speeds and directions.

DD

verysimplejason and D-rock like this.
  19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Green is a quick learner

here on the last dribble, he changed the ball’s direction away from the help defender and gathered it low.

Roomba and D-rock like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

This and not being strong enough to keep opposing defenders off his body is reason why he loses ball as much as he does.

Imagine how many TOV he would have if he was a PG.