1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Why isn’t Jalen Green running the offense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jan 15, 2022.

?

Is Silas a good coach?

Poll closed Feb 15, 2022.
  1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. No

66 vote(s)
    79.5%
  1. TimDuncanDonaut

The PG we get doesn't have to pure PG, but if a combo guard, the PG part of that combo still needs to be solid and feed JGreen a steady diet. Scoot ball wasn't doing that.

#21 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    cheke64 likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nix is a PG.

DD

BallaDoc, Dobbizzle and napalm06 like this.
  3. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Except, players actually DO gain market value the longer they play for the same team. Furthermore, transaction costs are significantly higher for young rookies drafted high in the first round.

There actually hasn't been a single example of the endowment effect in this thread. You may be conflating it with hindsight bias and the sunken cost fallacy.

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

DAMMIT, I mixed him up with Queen and clearly need to brush up on their games. I will now put myself in timeout.

DaDakota likes this.
  5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Green isn’t a point and neither is KPJ. KPJ is lucky to still be in the NBA IMHO. The Rockets need to acquire a competent young point guard who can make Green’s life easier. Someone to set up the scorer. It would do wonders for everyone else too, having someone with a functioning NBA IQ handling the ball. This pipe dream that KPJ is going to morph into a great PG is just silly. I’m beginning to question if the Rockets have the right guys running the show up top. These seem like emotional decisions to me.

Milos and BallaDoc like this.
  6. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Yet he still does both those things better than KPJ. The point is we are supposed to be training him to do those things not expecting him to already know how to do them. The Rockets seem to have more faith in KPJ than Jalen and I think thats the wrong path.

ThatboyPhuong and hakeem94 like this.
  7. DaDakota

No need. Nix was a 5 star recruit and he skipped college just like Green and played in the G league with him....He is also only 19, but the ball is very comfortable in his hands.

I think he has a future.......at least I hope he does.

DD

Newlin and napalm06 like this.
  8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think we need to learn from the KPJ-as-PG experiment that you shouldn't continue to try to fit a square peg into a round hole. Green is in the mold of a Zach Lavine or Devin Booker where scoring is his main priority. How he gets those points is predicated by having a competent point guard.

OP shouldn't criticize KPJ for fumbling the ball as a starting PG while advocating for a traditional shooting guard to run an offense. That just makes you look resoundingly ignorant.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  9. DaDakota

I think KPJ is doing fine as a developing PG.

Is he perfect? No, but his assists are up, and his turnovers down.

Right now he and Green are essentially the same player, both need the ball, both want to attack the rim with it, both are average passers and below average shooters.

Both are developing.

DD

napalm06 likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, no he really doesn't.

KPJ is a young combo guard that has struggled a bit but is showing promise by cutting down on turnovers and increasing his assist totals, Green is a traditional SG that has basically no PG skills at all.

There's no universe where the Rockets were going to try and make Green their PG.....they might as well try to make Theis their PG. It's simply not his role.

Green is at his best scoring in transition and cutting off ball or taking the shots others create for him. He could potentially thrive in that kind of role...maybe not enough to completely offset how terrible he is defensively, but if he was forced into a role where he had to run the offense, he'd be terrible on both sides of the ball.

Just let the kid play to his strengths even if it goes against the narrative that his most delusional worshippers built up about him. In time he could develop into a combo guard like KPJ, he's just nowhere near ready for that right now.

hakeem94 and GotGame15 like this.
  11. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

Silas loves to hold back the rookies.

Joe Rocket and hakeem94 like this.
  12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’d just be satisfied if he could become a high efficiency 1-dimensional shooter on the wing. The talent for much more is there, but it’s been a Rocky rookie year. We need some stability in year two. As clutch said, everything has to be about Green and Sengun’s development going forward.

frankly we need to invest in a stabilizing force at the 1. I’m not saying a veteran, but someone more reliable/more of a sure thing at that position. KPJ is definitely not helping Green’s development.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'd like to see him out there getting some time under the bright lights, especially during a throwaway season when the team is sitting Wall and playing Augustin. Fans are forgetting what a real PG looks like.

Joe Rocket and DaDakota like this.
  14. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Dream scenario is getting scoot in 2 years

xaos likes this.
  15. DaDakota

Me too - he should get some looks as a backup pg for sure.....

DD

napalm06 likes this.
  16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I say yes. I've seen better passes from Green than that "iM a PoInT gUard" fellow.

Joe Rocket, hakeem94 and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Thread title:
    Why isn't Jalen Green running the offence?

Poll question:
    Is Silas a good coach?

First post question:
    Should Green be the ball handler in the PnR more often?

Those are 3 wildly different discussions....

18. a time to chill

His offenseive shortcomings were known prior to the draft, but everyone knows he has the potential and elite athleticism to improve.

For example, here is one pre-draft analysis from NBAdraft.net.

That analysis was right on the money with everything we've seen so far.

I just don't buy the narrative that KPJ is holding back Green. I admit, I'm curious to see if Wall/Green combo lineup would look like. But we've seen Green struggle in lineups without KPJ as well. First, the excuse was that Theis is clogging the paint. Now when Theis is getting less playing time it's KPJ's fault. What will the next excuse be?

GotGame15 and DaDakota like this.
  19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

The offense overall is just bad.

That's mostly on Silas just handing the ball to kpj and saying go play basketball.
    Green needs to step up his efficiency for sure.

But you got a center who thinks he's a guard and a sf who thinks he's a pg and a coach that doesn't know wtf he's doing.

I think that because kpj is so bad they may as well let Green hump the basketball sometimes too. KpJ as a pg is going nowhere so just having green do more with the ball will only help his development.

Team needs a real pg though. Augustine needs more minutes. He's the closest they got.

Joe Rocket and cheke64 like this.
  20. DaDakota

Why would you feed a bad shooter? Neither Scoot nor Green should be fed at this point - Gordon should be fed, but both of the others are below average at shooting.

We really need to find some shooting, our guys are all below average - at least the ones playing the most.

And stop blaming KPJ when Green is shooting poorly - no one is in the other one's way, and it looks like both are getting some staggered time.

They are each responsible for their OWN accountability.

DD

a time to chill and GotGame15 like this.