1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is Wilt Chamberlain overlooked?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JW86, Aug 29, 2021.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

So often in the GOAT conversations or even the stats he put up the man is forgotten, reasons are found to negate what he did - 90% is the era and everything that comes with it - or just downplayed / explained as if it was pure an athletic advantage.

Can someone explain to me why this is the case, because looking at the amazing body of work, the stats he put up and how crazy of an athlete he was - something praised when speaking of Dream, Lebron, Kobe, MJ - you’d think he should and would be considered top 5 / 3 or the GOAT.

Would love to get some perspective on this :)

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Level of competition and the fact that he consistently lost to the one other guy that was near his level physically.

He's still usually mentioned in the top 5 all time, he isn't really forgotten.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

It's simple. He only has 2 titles. I know it's a team sport yadda yadda but to be the GOAT you have to have it ALL, both individual and team success. That's good enough for him to be top 5 or top 10 at worst but at the very top of the mountain it's just so competitive that you need every single credential to be able to stand up to Jordan or LeBron or Russell or Kareem. Also, and this is just the personal opinion, I think that mid to late 60s basketball was disgusting because of the insane pace and style of basketball at the time. It was just perfect for accumulating stats. You'd have 5 dudes averaging double digit rebounds on 1 team where as now you barely have 1. That's kinda why I'm not too impressed by Oscar's triple doubles either.

Jontro likes this.
  4. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

Try to come up with your list of top 5 of all time and you might come up with an answer yourself

5. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

But...he OUTPLAYED Russell in all their matchups. You can't overlook that. if its all about titles, Robert Horry > MJ. Anybody think that's true?

If it were the era, why did no one else put up anything close to comparable stats? ?? People discounted and tried to discredit Wilt his whole career, long before any talk of titles, etc came up. He was Goliath....the large bully that you had to discredit.

As far as having every single credential, no one else in BB history comes even remotely close to Wilt's stats, except for titles (which is a team stat). For example, let's compare Wilt vs the usual presumed GOAT.
    Scoring, about equal, although Wilt changed his game late in his career.
    Rebounding; Wilt, not even close
    Blocks: Wilt, not even close
    Assists: Fairly equal, although Wilt did lead the league one year, MJ never did.
    Steals. Relatively equal.

So, just comparing the total player, Wilt >> MJ. Equal in a couple areas, MUCH better in the others. FWIW, Wilt would have CRUSHED MJ one on one. Perhaps literally if MJ talked too much trash. People don't understand how athletic he was. He was just as fast, or faster, than MJ (around a 4.5 40). The same (or some even say higher, repuputely 48" at 7'!") vertical leap. He was a world class 400 and high jump athlete, then on top of that one of the world's strongest athletes. He was a competitive shot putter, and long jumper.

The one thing that MJ had, above pretty much any other athlete, was his just uber fierce competitiveness. That plays into things. But, Wilt had to worry about something Michael didn't....if he became too competitive, he might literally kill people on the court. He was also so much better than everyone, he didn't need to be uber competitive all the time. It would have just added to the Goliath image he so despised. Despite that, he still put up statistics that dominate the record books to this day.

I do think SOME of the criticism of Wilt for not winning more titles is valid. Perhaps his play style, as well rounded as it was, led to more stats for him, but less team success. (I suspect it was probably more the Kobe factor---Wilt was just so much better than his teammates, they become passive). But, even when you factor that in, Wilt is STILL better than any other player that's ever played the game. He's the GOAT DESPITE not winning more titles. No one else comes close to populating the record books. No one else comes close to having so many rules put in specifically just to stop him. That's the one that finally shut MJ up when they spent the dinner during the 50 greatest NBA players ever presentation arguing about who was the GOAT. As they walked out the door after dinner, Wilt told MJ "Michael, they changed all the rules when you played to make it easier for you. They changed all the rules when I played to make it harder for me." MJ had nothing to say back to that.

More than MJ, the one player that I think you could have a valid conversation around who was better than Wilt might be Kareem, who is also strangely absent from the GOAT conversation. But Wilt was a much better defender, shot blocker (who actually blocked Kareem's sky hook, the unblockable shot, many times).

6. WiltTheStilt13

HE WAS A REPUBLICAN!!!

juanm34 and hakeem94 like this.
  7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Had he been apart of the Celtics like Russell he’d be recognized as the best ever with his stats.

8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Jordan Brand paying ESPN, Fox Sports hosts to promote Michael Jordan at every chance they get.

Wilt Chamberlain could be the Greatest ever.
    I am curious how Hakeem Olajuwon would've played against Wilt.

Wilt Chamberlain and Hakeem Olajuwon are the Fastest Centers ever.

Wilt takes 5 huge steps and gets full court.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Wilt has 3 Championships, 1 with Golden State with Rick Barry, 2 with Jerry West.

Bill Russell 11 Championships in 13 Seasons

Dolph Schayes Hawks outplayed Bill Russell.
    To Win a Championship against Bill.

Literally the only Player that outplayed Bill Russell.

Dolph Schayes played tough and gritty similar to Ron Artest, Chuck Hayes types.

#9 rockets1995, Aug 29, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    hakeem94 likes this.
  10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The Celtics stopped winning when he retired.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

He's not overlooked and him along with Russell are truly great all time top ten players.

But the short version is although he a deserving all time great, he was overrated for years due to pace, competition level, rules of the era, weaknesses in his game and not being as mentally strong as Russell.

When I was a casual fan I used to be super impressed with Wilt's stats, but when you put him under a microscope, although great, he's not as impressive as other GOAT candiates.

Russell was also much more impactful with his dominant defense than Wilt with his offense, and yes Russell was better.

JumpMan likes this.
  13. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Is this true? Interesting if it is. Bill Russell is probably the most woke hundred year old in the world.

WiltTheStilt13 likes this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

No clips available to upload to youtube.

I mean a picture with him holding 100?

Lame.

Jontro likes this.
  15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He played selfishly and lost in many of the big games that counted. He's still one of the GOATs, but not the GOAT.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He played before David Stern was the commie.

jsingles, hakeem94 and Jontro like this.
  17. WiltTheStilt13

JumpMan likes this.
  18. Lunareste

Lunareste Member

undisputed GOAT then

AXG, hakeem94, WiltTheStilt13 and 2 others like this.
  19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Easy! It's because he didn't have Diamond teeth/grill! Duh!

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

One of my favorite villains.

[​IMG]

Yung-T and hakeem94 like this.