1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is the small lineup so good at ball denial & deflections?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nolen, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Someone with better eyes than me help me understand what we're doing differently on defense with Capela gone.

Apologies for not compiling stats, but there are others here who are better at it than I am. I'm going by what I see in the games.

This small lineup is very, very good at deflections and steals and also quite good at denying, deflecting, and stealing lob passes to the opposing big man. (I recall the Ariza/CP/Tuckwagon lineup in 2018 was also damn good at this.) In my memory this was less the case when Capela was on the floor.

Can anyone confirm this with stats?
    Can someone explain what changed in the defensive plan? (please something more than "the Rockets switch everything.")

BaselineFade likes this.
  2. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

CAPELA IS BIG STUPID AND SLOW

amaru likes this.
  3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Focus and effort...

Guys are hustlin on D more than earlier in the year... plain simple focus and effort...
    Idk if its bc they know they dont have the safety net of CC behind them and they dont want to get embarrassed...
    or if more motion and ball movement on offense is getting guys more engaged and carrying over to the defensive end...

but guys are swarming, getting hands up and filling the passing lanes... good general defensive effort - which hasnt consistently been there...

...imo..

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

part of it is doubling and trapping the ball (especially in the paint), and another part is probably just extra effort to make up for no rim protector. sorry about not providing stats OP requested. i don't do that shiit :D

pr0wler and BaselineFade like this.
  5. Juxtaposed Jolt

Small people have better movement and, due to the nature of their position, probably work on perimeter defense and switching, so their lateral movement and footwork is better.

Big people have to guard the post - usually, they're probably ready for the opposing player who penetrates from the top of the key, so their movement doesn't have to be as quick. They're probably also more or less content with letting the opposing big man catch the ball since it usually doesn't resort to that big man making decisions to score on you (unless it's like KAT, Embiid, Jokic, etc)

BaselineFade, HP3 and YallMean like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Our best disruptors are our smaller players.

Covington is our most talented disruptor but Harden, Tucker, Thabo and even Westbrook have quick hands and great sense of anticipation to create steals and deflections.

Our bigs (Capela, Tyson, Harty) are the least talented disruptors.

Defensive disruption is a talent just like shooting, passing and dribbling.

Jonah Bolden is a very talented disruptor. So are Harkless and MKG.

pr0wler, Zboy, bj3175 and 1 other person like this.
  7. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Actually we dont have curry and Thompson type 3 points accuracy shooter. As Harden is not in form and keep missing, we dont have an Andrew bogut or Green type center. They have KD for sf, it is difficult to compare

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

I remember when Yao played Pringle's small Phoenix lineup, we were killed and brutalized most of the time. We were trying to force feed Yao when he was crowded. So I think the smaller lineup makes the feeding to a big more difficult. But once a pin down happened, the small is helpless. I think it's a bit gimmicky because the opponent can counter with their best smalls to attack and mix it up with pin downs from good post positions. We will be constantly in a scramble mode - not a recipe for good defense. If opponent force feed to big like what we did with Yao, that will play into our defensive strength, but I am almost certain that will not happen in a 7 game series.

9. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

u can find answers in below posts, crystal clear
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/analyzing-our-last-3-games.303633/
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/analyzing-our-last-3-games-part-2.303728/#post-12845783

D-rock likes this.
  10. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

I agree with what other posters said above and also feel that the smaller lineup often causes opposing players normal offense to become disrupted. So they make passes or take lines that are not their usual way of playing. And once their usual offense has been disrupted, they are more prone to make mistakes with the ball. At the very least, it often causes indecision or hesitation which gives our smaller lineup a second or two of extra time to react.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

@Deuce has dubbed this "skillball" along with "smallball"

I believe the coaches are hammering this skillball/disruption/ball-control message, and made it a challenge/priority to fockass (as @kjayp points out).

A gang of 5 perimeter defenders with fockass hound the passing lanes, and stay in front of offensive players better than traditional bigs, switch-faster, etc. They are more coordinated on their feet, and faster, than traditional bigs.

Here's how the Skill of Perimeter players plays out in Last 8 games, since the Utah win with first small-ball 48 minutes:
    • Rockets have an 18.1 Opponent TOV% ... Tops in League
    • Rockets lead league in Steals
    • Rockets have an 11.2 TOV% ... which would be #1 over the season, by a good margin
    • Rockets average 5 more shots on goal than oppenent, despite rebounding issue

• Rockets #1 in fewest opponent points off our TOs per 100
    • Rockets #2 in most points off Opp TOs per 100

• But once opponent shoots, we're 4th worst in eFG%
    • Also, giving up 2nd most 2nd Chance Points per 100

Bottomline: The key component of smallball/skillball is winning turnover battle bigly, so we can still get more shots on goal. This is such an obvious advantage to me, that I'm willing to bet the coaches have made this a priority; hence the fockass we're seeing.​

#11 heypartner, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    Relativist, joshuaao, Nolen and 4 others like this.
  12. bj3175

bj3175 Member

that's exactly what it is If you play that way with a big you will dominate

kjayp likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets still need 2 more long athletic disruptors who can hit 3ball.

6'8 Moe Harkless 7'2 wingspan
    6'10 Jonah Bolden 7'3 wingspan

Also need 1 more scorer for when EGo injured or just cannot score jack.

6'3 Tyler Johnson or 6'3 Dion Waiters.

Finally a PnR/dunker to play 5 spot when Russ sits (B2B) or if injured.

6'8 Bismack Biyombo 7'7 wingspan 40" max vert (28 yrs) or 6'9 Ekpe Udoh 7'5 wingspan 33" max vert (32 years) or 6'11 Justin Patton 7'3 wingspan 31" max vert (22 yrs).

Or a high upside project like 4th overall pick Dragan Bender - 7'0 7'2 wingspan (22 yrs).

Bender has center size but guard skills and fluidity.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

6'11 Justin Patton is also very good disruptor, especially for a true 5, gets his hands on lots of steals and deflections in addition to blocks.

His game very similar to Bobby Portis, can shoot the 3 plus passing. Except Patton is the better defender.

15. HP3

HP3 Member

Nah this aint it at all. None of that is true.

D-rock likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Low Center of Gravity.

17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I think there’s a few reasons.

Smaller players on the court at all times so quicker as a whole

Taking more chances

More hustle because they know that’s the only way they can successfully defend now.

Less thinking because they don’t have to worry about not switching when Capela is guarding the pnr. They can all switch everything with no thought.

18. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

it is quicker

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Why are cornerbacks in the NFL usually one of the smallest guys on the field.