1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is sympathy for Islam so common on the political left?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 15, 2015.

1. TheresTheDagger

You yourself said we should judge folks by their individual actions...a process I agree with BTW. (Unless you think that all individual Muslims are under "attack" by all those who are victims of Islamic terrorism?!?!) :rolleyes:

Really? Show me where I said this. Or are you stereotyping me?!?

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Then why are you asking me if defending Muslims as a group is the same as attacking them when I am saying they shouldn't be judged as a group. There are Muslims that are against violence and those that tolerate it. Maybe it's not just about being Muslim and there are other factors! So don't attack them as group - attack the Muslims that commit or support terrorism.

Talking about your buddy mojo there, not you.

3. TheresTheDagger

Well, it seems like you go to extremes to defend any potential criticism of Islam...but that's just my take on your posts. Of course I don't read everything you post so I could certainly be wrong.

Fair enough, but you were responding to my post so you'll forgive me if I assume you meant me.

4. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I agree that the "not all of them are bad" and "we won't let a few bad apples spoil the lot" is the right way of looking at it... but I find it amazing that liberals don't take the same stance with gun owners. In every single other instance, they always side with reason, except with guns.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Too often that is sadly true.

6. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Because people should be given the benefit of the doubt to practice 'secular' Islam as they wish. Some people are born into religion out of tradition and culture. They have no other place to feel comfortable in America other than their community as religious or ethnic minority. Don't shun all Muslims due to ignorance dude.

7. Svpernaut

That's all fine and dandy until they come of age to make their own decisions, and if they choose to stay in a society that doesn't allow equal rights to women, or gays or anyone else - that is on them.

I am a Christian that doesn't go to church very often, and confronts my fellow Christians far more than anyone else because of their stance on homosexuals. The problem is, you don't get that very often coming from Islam. Once people know what is wrong about it, they don't stand up and voice it for fear of repercussions from the family, or the faith.

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

From my experience at least in the U.S., the fallback of denouncing your religion in a Christian household can be just as devastating as a Muslim American denouncing their religion in a Muslim household. At least here in the states. I can point to the many stories of kids being rejected by their Christian families or even worse being forced into some sort of Christian 'boot camp'.

I've come clean to my parents about my atheism. My mom was upset but they still treat me like their son.

9. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

[​IMG]

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Catholics, Christians and Jews have had similar writings on Women and Gays. Astonishingly similar. Nearly identical and even worse in some cases. Luckily liberal folks have been pushing equal rights long enough for the conservative, religious to tone it down and do massive rewrites and re-telling of their more modern holy books. Thanks Liberals! I'm incredibly happy we aren't as conservative as some of our Muslim friends!

11. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Born and raised Catholic. Pope Paul at the time took a hard line stance for abstinence, against birth control methods and against gays. New pope welcomes everyone and even accepts other religions as well. Times have changed since I was a kid. That's the thing about social change though. It happens very slowly but progress is being made even if it's not necessarily as fast as we all would like it to be.

12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

'One of the biggest objections liberals have to Hillary Clinton is that she voted for the Iraq war. If you are a Democrat, you cannot be against Muslim immigration. As a Democrat, you must trot out the most unassailable examples of American Muslim patriots, like Khizr and Ghazala Khan, while simultaneously despising the cause for which their son Humayun gave his life in Afghanistan.

Democrats cannot admit that the “good Muslims” are not stopping the “bad Muslims” from becoming radicalized. But it’s obvious they’re not. If 1 percent of the American population produces dozens of press stories a year that Democrats explain away as “lone wolf” incidents, imagine what 2.1 percent will bring?'

http://theresurgent.com/democrats-denial-of-the-muslim-problem-could-elect-trump/

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This is exactly the bul**** bigoted troupes that I'm reffering to.

'unassailable examples'.... because for a brown Muslim looking American to express their 'patriotism', they have to quite literally ****ing fight in a war for their country while regular Joe Shmoe can sit on his ass waiving a flag while telling minorities to go above and beyond to conform to the level of patriotism they deem is enough for a basic level of respect, dignity and trust. It's ****ing bull****.

Please tell me Mojoman explicitly what a Muslim American ought to do to look like they are 'combating terrorism'. Go ahead **** face.

#273 fchowd0311, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Come on good Muslims!!! :grin:

Oh boy the things you read on here... Richhhhhh.

15. Svpernaut

The difference is, Christians with different views have many options when it comes to their faith. There are LGBT friendly churches, gay priests, countless different denominations, etc. Mulsims are very limited in their choices. There are basically secular, and sharia. More than 10% of American Muslims want Sharia.

Pew found that 63% of the 2.75 million Muslims in the US are immigrants and Muslims will make up 2.1% of the US population by 2050. They also found:

This is where it gets frightening. 14% of 2.75 million is 385,000 and 7% is 192,500. So, 385,000 Muslims living in America are okay with some types of radical violence, and 7% being sometimes okay with it, and 27,500 almost always being okay with it.

Call me crazy, but even thought they are in the extreme minority when compared to Christians by more than 40:1 - there are far more radical Muslims than there are Christians. That's the problem. Yes they are an extreme minority, but they are also at the extremely high end of radical in comparison.

16. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

F__k you.

The real source of the problem is in the Middle East. The issue here is the well established pattern of behavior here by these radical Islamic terrorists, who whether you like it or not are acting out based on the Koran and in the name of Islam. These are not just a few isolated incidents. This is happening a lot now, not just here but in Europe, in India, In Africa, and around the world. This problem is increasing and getting worse.

Are the hundreds of millions of other Muslims, largely located in the Middle East and Africa, effectively organizing together to stop this murderous conduct? Are they making an effort to clean up their own back yards? It does not appear that they are making any serious attempt to do that, empty slogans and promises by leftists to the contrary, notwithstanding.

Which is of course a large part why the US continues to keep finding itself drawn back over there. Because the Muslim countries in the Middle East and Africa have never made any serious effort to eradicate these terrorists. In fact, there are more children being schooled by the tens of millions in those countries that will feed the pipeline of future terrorists, with the full knowledge and acquiescence of their national governments, even as we speak.

These Muslim countries are not even trying to fix this and in some cases they are funding its increase and spread. All of which you already know.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

But... both republicans and radical islam both look at women and gays as undeserving of equal rights. For example, republicans don't want gays to marry.

18. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Homosexuals have always had equal rights to marry anyone of the opposite sex that they wanted to. Which is what marriage actually is.

If they want to pretend they are getting married because of this recent Supreme Court edict, then they can now under the law.

19. Svpernaut

Hyperbole much? Many conservatives had no issues with gay rights. Religious lobbyists are what fought it for so many years. I am all for outlawing lobbyists in Washington.

Yeah, it isn't like Christian Conservatives asked all gays to wear clothing to conceal their gayness... so as not to tempt non-gays.

And let us not pretend that Muslims don't have a far more radical view of gays than Christians.

20. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

And this is where the ignorance talks. I've seen Muslim families where the wife is a 'Realtor' and bread winner of her household and the husband is progressive and does his own thing. You seem to not know about Christianity's past and where it is today as well. You seem to want to shun people without thoroughly analyzing.