1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is sympathy for Islam so common on the political left?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 15, 2015.

1. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

You really need to answer this part from Mathloom:

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Could you please respond to the actual points of the argument? If you don't care to, I'm happy with that as well but it's disingenuous to say that my post is just vague platitudes about the value of human life. I intentionally listed several concrete examples that can be verified using just US government records. If you're busy or just not in the mood to respond to a long post (it happens), that's fine too.

I wish you would at least respond to the pattern of nearly 6 decades of reckless behavior towards innocent civilians as I feel it's very important and you having served might have another perspective on it.

On our question, yes as a matter of fact I think a big weakness in most justice systems is the length to which they go to prioritize and attempt to diagnose intent, and then even act on it in situations that are not 100% clear. It's an archaic, meaningless relic of christianity that isn't compatible with an otherwise relatively stellar set of laws. Justice systems have changed over the years, I feel like you're taking that part as some sort of personal attack.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Your post was complete bullcrap drivel, as usual.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yawn.

DD

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I just read all that crap and wasn't sure if I should puke or fall asleep.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Can we take the World cup back from Qatar too, I mean indentured workers, and horrible conditions.....

Just take it and put it in a more reasonable place.

DD

7. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wanted: Ahmad Khan Rahami, 28 year old male, is being sought in connection with the Chelsea bombing. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/nyc?src=hash">#nyc</a> <a href="https://t.co/hSxhMqO7Qh">pic.twitter.com/hSxhMqO7Qh</a></p>&mdash; J. Peter Donald (@JPeterDonald) <a href="https://twitter.com/JPeterDonald/status/777830341558042624">September 19, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>We have already seen a certain amount of defensive posturing by the left as this incident has been investigated. Now it increasingly likely that it was the usual suspects, at it again.

8. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

So basically your comic strip tells me that republicans and radical islam share similar beliefs about gay and women's rights?

10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

No, Republicans and Christians do not believe any of that.

What is tells us is that leftists may have reached a state of peak hypocrisy here that it may well be impossible for anyone on Earth to ever transcend.

It also affirms the theme of this thread that leftists are bizarrely sympathetic towards these people and their beliefs (bizarre from the perspective of Republicans and Christians, that is). Of course many leftists would with great eagerness, dishonestly and wrongly attribute the beliefs in the cartoon above to Republicans and Christians, and then use those lies to castigate their political opponents wrongly in the most aggressive and hostile manner they can possibly contrive.

But it when it turns out that these beliefs and practices - and others just as bad or worse - are Islamic, then leftists frequently become very apologetic and protective, reluctant to criticize, because Islam, together with these beliefs and practices, have the cover of the Democrat left's vile "political correctness" agenda.

11. TheresTheDagger

Nope.

It tells you that leftists have lost the ability to recognize the difference between friend and foe in their efforts to "win the moral argument".

As a conservative, I might oppose your views on many issues...but I'm not trying to blow you to kingdom come.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No people on the left don't like to group everyone together and instead are against the individual, not the group. In other words they oppose anyone against women's rights, but dont' assume that just because you are muslim that you are anti-women like Republicans do. See the difference?

Obviously the creator of that cartoon doesn't nor the ones posting it.

13. TheresTheDagger

So why defend Muslims as a group? Isn't that essentially the same as attacking them as a group?

14. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

That's not true and you know it. You identify very closely with one of the left's key "identity politics" groups - black people. As we are all well too aware, there are also many others.

You folks are all about identity politics, which is dependent on having people identified with specific groups. You are the champions of grouping people together into identity groups.

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

When the presidential candidate of 'your side' is willing to falsely incriminate an entire American major city's Muslim population as terrorist lovers, then Muslim Americans are forced to play 'identity politics'. They don't voluntarily 'chose' to play 'identity politics'. Trust me, we brown people would love it if we didn't have to. That's a very naive outsider perspective. You seem to be incapable of empathy for those that are not of your own demographic.

16. fchowd0311

Why defend Muslims as a group? Even if 49% of a group holds **** ideas, judging an entire group still does amazing disservice to the 51% who doesn't. That's why you don't judge 'groups' that span as large as 1 billion people. There has never been an entity as large as i billion humans that hold hive mind views. Thus, judge based on individual merit. I have no qualms with critiquing Islam as a outdated religion but when 98% of self professed Muslims are only Muslim because they were born into it, I'm not willing to 'judge groups'.

#256 fchowd0311, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  17. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Brown people, eh?

Just FYI, your brownness is a function of the melanin in your skin. Some people have more, some people less. Albinos, a condition which is an aberration, are the only ones that have none. Everyone else is "brown" to one degree or another, regardless of how dedicated you are to segregating people into different groups. That includes both me and you.

Also, I am not a Republican, and as you know very well, I am not a supporter of Donald Trump. I will be skipping the presidential segment of the voting this year as there are no acceptable candidates running.

Regardless of how hard it is for you to imagine anyone valuing anything above the sort of tribal identities that you and others on the left hold in such high esteem, the fact is that not everyone thinks or acts this way. But you keep trying to insist that they must, because the idea of anyone deviating from the "politically correct" thinking on this that you people are trying to force on everyone is not only apparently intellectually too hard for you, it is apparently an open offense to your sense of tribal loyalties.

So, yes you do choose it and you are choosing it. You are actively promoting it even in your post above, and leftists everywhere are constantly promoting the idea of identity politics with great enthusiasm and unrelenting zeal. In fact, the Democrats know they cannot possibly win national elections without it.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are basically asking why I shouldn't stereotype people????? :confused:

He doesn't get it - if you are Muslim he thinks it means you think terrorism is ok and all Muslims are essentially bad - this is why Trump appeals to people like him.

19. fchowd0311

...It's as if I had a choice when I go to a local shooting range with one of my vet buddies and the store owner asks my friend if I could be trusted. Yes, I 'chose' to play identity politics there. The sooner you realize that most minorities have no choice in playing the identity card', the sooner you can muster of some empathy.

20. fchowd0311

Don't worry. He's not a Trump supporter even though he will defend his rhetoric 90% of the time.