1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is Jon Singleton on this team?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 31, 2024.

1. Buck Turgidson

Then you know Singleton should be in the lineup, as you know, if a RHP is going tomorrow

Ooops..Detmers is another Lefty starter

I'd run that same lineup back

2. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Wasn’t it Detmers that Big Jon went deep on twice in the same game last year?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Hell if I know. I'll get back to you on that one

I'm just playing the percentages.

Who's pitching for the Stros?

Put Caratini at 1B and Diaz at C and Yordan at DH?

It doesn't seem that complicated.

raining threes and Tomstro like this.
  4. Rockets34Legend

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It will not shock me if Singleton is a hero in the playoffs. He always puts together good ABs and is capable of hitting a homer at any time. Especially if Yordan is out for the playoffs, Houston will be relying on Big Jon in a big way.

raining threes likes this.
  6. vince

vince Member

I don’t think many folks thought Jon could sustain this level of play over the whole of the season. Granted he isn’t playing anywhere near an all-star, he is playing winning baseball. He isn’t an easy out by any stretch of the imagination, and he’s got tons of hidden power that makes pitchers respect his swing. He’s amongst the most prolific Astro to work a walk. He makes pitchers work to get him out. And if you squeeze out 2 or 3 pitches from a pitcher, you’ve done your job!

Consider that most pitchers cap at 100 pitches in 6 innings. The average WHIP is 1.25

100 pitches / 6 innings = 16.67 pitches per Innings.
    3 outs + 1.25 WHIP = 4.25

16.67 / 4.25 = 3.92 pitches per batter.

The more a batter works the count; even by getting the out, valuable energy has been used. Energy that could have been used to get the pitcher into the 6th, 7th, or 8th inning. Quick knockout of the pitchers are effective, because they cause bullpen exhaustion.

7. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

He was one last year for drawing that walk ahead of the Altuve homer against Arlington

8. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

A few others need to apologize too.

9. SuraGotMadHops

Singleton in a way is kind of like a bizarro version of Chris Carter. Their approach is one dimensional but in very different ways. Carter would step in the box and try to guess pitches, he had zero pitch recognition. If he guessed right, the ball would go 400 ft...he guessed wrong A LOT, but he also led the NL in homers one year.

Singleton said last night that he basically waits for a mistake, and if he doesn't get one "I'll take my walk." So he steps in looking to hit a mistake, the issue is pitchers only make a couple of mistakes a game, and there's no guaranty the mistake will happen during his AB. When he gets one, we get epic bat flip homers, when he doesn't, he's walking or hitting into an out.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. Rockets34Legend

He ****ing stepped up this whole season after the Abreu fiasco.

11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

If you are patient, work counts, extend at bats, and frustrate the pitcher, you will most likely get a mistake in there somewhere.

raining threes likes this.
  12. raining threes

Avg first baseman with the bat, below avg in the field. Better than what I thought he would be.