1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is Jeremy Lin so inconsistent?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Mar 1, 2013.

1. zdrav

zdrav Member

I'm sorry, but the abject stupidity of this statement needs to be called out again.

So it's Lin's Asianness that's holding him back? His Taiwanese-American family has indoctrinated him to figuratively and literally bow before authority? And perhaps his undoubtedly inferior penis inhibits his ability to challenge the Big White Man (McHale) and the Big Black Men (Sampson and Harden).

But fear not! His inherent craftiness, sneakiness, and ability to memorize in brute rote fashion all the NBA tactics will eventually help him triumph in the end!

2. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

what do you base? based on individual games? statistic data reflects real thing more than individual #.

anothing i have to remind you of ast #. ast requires two players directly being involved in scoring. neither side will have impact on the #. plus, lin is a leadoff man (true pg), his passing may not directly lead to a basket. in nhl, they added one more player to ast #.

if you really want to focus on individual games, you should rewind all games one by one to analyse his up and down. for example, you have to ask yourself if he did directly or indirectly create open shots no matter whether those shots were made or not. for example, you have to ask youself if other teams determined to make him a non factor by throwing defense on him to stop him getting the ball. those individual #s do not really tell you alot things you know only from watching the game.

btw, he is not pg of CP3 type (max contract) and he won't become CP3 either.

3. instar

instar Member

becuz he's a young player who has a lot of holes in his game.

4. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

corrected.

5. zdrav

zdrav Member

Sampson meant it in the context of Lin not having started many games yet, not to mention the fact that never played important minutes or stayed on one team long enough to develop and mesh with the system.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I was thinking of doing standard deviation for scoring and assists for the team to see what I was perceiving was real. Then I remembered I was Durvasa. ;)

7. muhaha

muhaha Member

this :rolleyes:

8. lwlee

lwlee Member

Woah, cowboy! :D Plz join the discussion if you have any more thought-provoking views! :p

My Thoughts about Lin, Harden and McHale

9. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

that's alot works. man, you're brave.:grin:

10. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

I don't have anything against the dude, and being honest is great. What I feel about him is that he may have gotten far already given his circumstances, he doesn't seem to be acquiring a harder shell for him to make further strides this season amongst all the criticism and drop offs in his game. If one thing isn't working for him then nothing works and he crumbles. You see toughness in most of our other players, but not a lot in him. If his shot isn't there he seems to panic and fade. The guy can take a beating physically, but if something is in his head he can't seem to check back in.

I understand a lot of that comes with experience, but considering what everyone has already said he has overcome I would expect him to be more mentally ready to overcome this seasons inadequacies. (i.e. Stop shooting when they're not falling, Assist more, Drive more, etc...) It's a few simple things I believe him capable of doing, but he doesn't seem to snap out of his funks and put it together.

After all he's our "assist first" pg and he should not be our second option scorer. I'm not looking for 20/10 from this guy, but I believe he's at least good for 12/8 consistently and he hasn't seemed capable of doing that yet. Less is more I believe when it comes to his game, and maybe I'm wrong and it has something to do with his role or coaching. That's just my observation.

11. hali

hali Member

Maybe if you don't judge him only by how many points he get per game, you will get less feel he is not consistent?

Rockets is always in #2 or #1 offense.

As someone who is not deadly shooter, he will need to have big volumn to make it consistent. 10, 11 shoot per night can become 2 pts to 20 pts easily and they all in the same standard deviation based on the shooting %.

I don't think he needs to be volumn shooter.

12. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i am not really comfortable with his jumps, especially those long ones, although recently he shot better. i kinda feel his jumps come and go. i really like his attacks. when he does that, he help our team better and more efficiently.

13. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

Rookies rarely start, much less crack the rotation.

Lin sucked when he was on GS. I say that as a Lin fan who bought league pass that year so I could catch his games. The only thing he could do reliably is burn his guy and get in the paint. But he couldn't shoot, couldn't finish at the rim and couldn't take care of the ball.

Credit his work ethic that whatever he sucks at that year, he ends up fixing the following season. He couldn't finish at GS, on the Knicks he's getting And 1's. His TO's were out of control in NY and his D was nothing special. TO's have gone down and his 1-to-1 D has gotten a lot better. Next thing is for him to get a decent jumpshot.

Far as inconsistency, it's his role. He's a PG with a pitiful usage rate. His consistency correlates with his shooting % because lot of times his role is just to take the open 3 if the ball swings his way.

Racist post of the day

14. boiler

boiler Member

Here is the problem with LOH or LOFH. They accuse LOFs being overly sensitive, and yet they are doing the same thing. Just because one LOF said something ridiculous, doesn't mean all LOF are as bad. I see a lot of seasonable LOFs with good insights in a lot of topics on this forum.

2 people like this.
  15. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

Guy only played a full season of NBA basketball and we expect him to be consistent? Being inconsistent is actually good. If he's consistent now, that would only mean he doesn't have an upside.

It took Gary Payton and Steve Nash, 3-4 years to find themselves in the league and 8-10 years to reach their prime. Give Jeremy some time!

16. Karolik

Karolik Member

Linconsistent.

17. gate470

gate470 Rookie

Another Jeremy Lin thread, this time in favor of fans who don't like Lin. To the OP, you're a vet, you should have bball knowledge and have an idea as to why he's inconsistent. When you make blanket statements (Parker and Rafer), you sound exactly like all the other LOH who complain without any real analysis. Look at the responses you're getting.

Should we ignore that he's improved each month since November? Should we ignore that he's adjusting his game to play next to a ball dominant guard? Should we ignore the fact that his role is completely different here than it was in NY? Another thing to mention is that we dont really utilize his strengths either but I understand why.

18. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

He's no more inconsistent than the rest of the team. The only consistent parts of our team are Harden and Asik's rebounding

19. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Lin is consistently inconsistent, therefore technically he is consistent.

20. zdrav

zdrav Member

He's averaging 13-6 this season, so he's pretty much already at 12-8.

Even in his bad game against the Bucks, he had 10-7.

You claim that you're only expecting 12-8, but the way you talk, you sound more like one of those 15-10 people.