1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is it taking us so long to adapt to the adelman system?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 2rings, Nov 9, 2008.

1. 2rings

2rings Member

We still look like we are doing a lot of standing around and watching the guy with the ball. This is the 2nd year of the offense for the team and Artest, our most significant addition, has played for Rick in the past. I am beginning to wonder if we will ever get it. I also am beginning to wonder if putting Yao on the high post makes much sense. If so, he is going to have to start shooting from there more than once a game to draw out the defense or its a wasted possession.

2. cadet65

cadet65 Rookie

Before the hiring of Rick Adelman, I knew this won't work! Yao is not Vlade Divac! He doesn't have his ball handling skills and court vision!

Bring JVG back! This roster is more suitable for JVG's style.

3. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

I think the main reason is becasue we don't have a lot of players that great at passing.

4. DOHCtah

DOHCtah Member

I'll tell you exactly why. Its because we don't have players suited for this system. Thsi requires athletic, quick cuts and reactions. Look at our damn 1st unit.. everyone is slow as balls and immobile. No joke.

5. shakegod

shakegod Rookie

we need better PG to organise the attacks

6. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

I don't understand either.

Either your system sucks or players are not doing what you are telling them to do. When you run a play and everyon stands around looking at one guy posting up when they should be cutting to the basket they should either fix that lack of effort or ride the pine for a game.

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

um.. the system doesn't fit the players.

can yao play the high post? NO
    can yao pass like the big man supposed to in his offense? NO
    can yao shoot the mid-range? NO
    does tracy like to run around to catch and shoot all the time? NO
    do we have great 3pt shooters? NO
    do we have creators/penetrators at every position? NO

do we have a lot of iso players? YES

i don't get where adelman and this organization think we can run this offense? outside of scola and brooks, NONE of the players on this team can run his offense effectively.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's like the players just don't make the proper reads on the defense and react accordingly. They're running a script out there, and when the first couple options are taken away they don't know what to do. You have to put some of the blame on that on the coaches. Offense was supposed to be a point of emphasis in training camp, but it doesn't look any better now than it did last season.

9. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

See how our starters play then see how our 2nd unit plays.

10. ibm

ibm Member

i have never believed this team can be sacto kings v.2. the materials are just different. but i can also see why adelman has wanted to implement some of his philosophy.

is there something unique to adelman's system? jon berry used to say it took them almost 2 full years to comprehend what adelman wanted. can it be really this complicated?

11. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Or, are our players that stupid?

12. ibm

ibm Member

stupid my arse. good coaches find good systems to fit their players. jvg did the opposite and made it "my way or the highway". we all know what happened to jvg eventually.

13. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Theres just no spacing on the court with 4 of the 5 players capable of just playing iso...

14. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Okay, then Adelman is not a good coach, then??

15. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

This is an easy one.

First off, Adelman has acknowledged that this group will never be able to run his ideal offense.

As far as why they can't, two of our "best players" are stiffs. Yao is a low post player only. He has no mid-range game and may be the worst passer in the history of professional basketball. I have never seen more predictable passes in my life. He stares at the guy he is going to pass to for 3 or 4 seconds, then delivers the pass. My grandmother could steal a Yao pass. When he tries to get tricky, he ends up throwing the ball out of bounds or to the other team. He simply is not deceptive in that respect and his read and react facilities appear to be similar to Vince Young's on the football field.

Adelman's "plan" is to try to incorporate a little more motion into the offense, esp. w/ the some of the 2nd unit on the floor. I believe at this point, he is just trying to find ways to get McGrady and Yao easier shots. He wants more ball movement and cutting but he realizes that Yao and T-Mac are what they are, iso type players, and he has no choice but to adapt to that.

16. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

I don't get it, why don't they run JVG offense with the starters and run his "motion" offense with the bench guys who are way better at doing that.

17. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

That is basically what they are doing.

What do you think you're seeing out there with the starters? It's more or less JVG offense to a T.

The 2nd unit moves a lot better. Both Brooks and Barry move without the ball and Landry is capable of receiving passes at the elbow and not turning the ball over. Landry can also hit that mid-range jumper and does so.

18. oldyellow

oldyellow Member

His system is for good players and for star players.

He does not know how to use Yao. Following his coaching, Yao become very hesitate for each shooting!

He does not give chance to new players no matter how tired the starters are.

19. oldyellow

oldyellow Member

Can not agree more!

20. ibm

ibm Member

please do not exaggerate what the 2nd unit did tonight. true, they brought us a big lead in the 2nd (we led by 8 after 1?), but the same unit had a big letdown during the first minutes of the 4th as well (we're down 7 entering the 4th and it rapidly grew to something like 20).