1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is Dorsey still getting minutes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oakdogg, Dec 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Corey Brewer was also a -6. If that isn't enough to disprove the relative value of +/- as a stat, I don't know what is.

1 person likes this.
  2. RocketTownHou

RocketTownHou Member

It's kind of a catch-22 with Dorsey. No offense/some defense. If he can give Dwight 6-8 clock minutes of rest in each half and not be a liability, that would help. Yes, it's painful watching him take free-throws.
    If we don't see improvement by the midway point in the season, would Morey be itchin' to do something?

3. Remlap

Remlap Member

Dorsey is a total liability on the floor.
    Especially at crunch time.

Talk about Hack-a-Dorsey. You'd be doing yourself a great advantage
    by hacking him until his arms fall off.
    Which by the way, wouldn't affect his free throw percentage.

4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Dorsey has shot a whopping 20 free throws in more than 20+ games this season. That's less than one free throw every game he has played. So no. It's not a problem at all.

It's cute that you all are hung up on that. The 7-8 mins a game Dorsey gets don't make our break this team. 28 turnovers, lack of a playmaker other than Harden, and our main guys not being able to hit their free throws are what hurt this team. A lot more than Joey ****ing Dorsey and his 8 mins a game.

It's hard to see things in context, but do try.

5. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Joey Dorsey will never be in a game during crunch time. Never.

You guys come up with arguments like drunk 16 year olds. Think before you post.

6. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

to fool the other team into thinking he's dwight. he serves as a decoy and hitman for the rockets.

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly DMo should be relegated to exclusively backing up Dwight and KPap should come in to relieve Smith until Jones gets back.

8. KlutchQT

Can you point me to where I ever said Joey Dorsey's free throw percentage was the primary issue ailing this team? I'll wait.

9. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Why are you starting a thread about a game and player you didn't see? Then you give lectures about others being short sighted? You literally have no sight on tonight's game!

10. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I would have to agree with most of you. I don't see why Dorsey should be getting any minutes at all barring injuries or extreme foul trouble. I would rather Papa play the 4 with any of our other bigs on the floor. And it's not just because of the free throws, but that alone should be enough reason.

11. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I forgot that after I addressed your point I can't say anything else on the topic unrelated to your point. I forgot that's how discourse worked.

Let me give you one of your own posts that maybe you can learn something from.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9444195&postcount=95

Now replace "he" wih Joey Dorsey and "lots of 3's and jumpers outside of the paint" with free throws. I think that can help you keep things in context. I'll wait. "Sheesh" indeed.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Dorsey playing 7 minutes is okay. I don't think the OP is blaming the loss on those 7 minutes. But the point is, Dorsey should be the 14th or 15th guy on the bench. This kind of players usually do not see the floor unless (1) there's injuries, (2) there's foul trouble, or (3) its garbage time.

Dorsey is worse than useless on offense. Yes, Dorsey plays good defense in short spurts. But it's not like Dwight, DMo, and Smoove can't play defense. So there's not even situational PT for him. And none of them was injured or in foul trouble tonight. So it is kind of puzzling why Dorsey got to play. But again, 7 minutes is okay.

13. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

I'd rather have Raduljica or whoever Euro big out there...

14. KlutchQT

You're so caught up in trying to condescend to me that you're creating strawman arguments I never made. LOL. I said having a guy on your squad who you can't keep on the floor because he shoots less than 20% from the line is a problem. That is my opinion, and I stand by it. You disagree? Cool.

But you came back with this whole tirade about how I needed to get some context because Joey's poor FT shooting doesn't make or break this team and wasn't the primary reason we lost -- when I never even made those arguments. So yes, I'm noting that you're arguing against something I never even said just for the sake of being contrarian and condescending. Something does not have to the be the sole or primary problem to be A problem. Dorsey's beyond abysmal FT shooting is A problem, albeit it not the main problem we have right now or even the one that I'd say cost us the game -- which is why I never said that. :)

And finally, that post about Josh Smith is completely inapposite and a super reach. It'd be a fair comparison if I said Josh Smith's shot selection isn't a potential problem, but I didn't. What I said quite clearly is that the majority of his shots tonight were not long 2s and 3s as suggested by many posters in that thread.

"Joey Dorsey shoots 19% from the free throw line."
    "Josh Smith took a lot of long 2s and 3s tonight."

One of those is true. The other is not. Anyway, not sure why you're going so hard on me, yet appear to be Ray Charles to the other posters in here who share my opinion, but thanks for playing.

15. Exiled

Exiled Member

Omer Asik is 10reb 5 point a game (25min) this season , not that far from Dorsey BTW

16. kpopy

kpopy Member

Because if they have waived Dorsey, nobody would pick him up and Rox still had to make the payments.
    The move to give up Black is also to save costs.

17. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Dorsey has done his job OK!
    U guys can't blame a min salary vet

18. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

I think even Howard can't satisfy u completely

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

That is a BS excuse. Was not Moses Malone strong? He shot a career FT% of 76%. How about Karl Malone? 74%. Otis Thorpe? 69%.

The other BS excuse NBA big men have used was hand size... Connie Hawkins, had perhaps the biggest hands I ever saw... 79%.

Dorsey and Howard (who even in the game broadcast Worrall described as Harden-like in his FT compared to Dorsey) combine poor technique that they vary constantly with poor mental approach to FT shooting. It is like they get no coaching at all. Worst... they don't appear to take any pride at all in this aspect of the game. There are other areas of Dorsey's game that I don't like, but his FT shooting is so bad it alone would make me cut him if I was GM.

20. ling ling

ling ling Member