1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is Delfino closing out games?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hustle_town, Mar 25, 2013.

1. hustle_town

hustle_town Rookie

First off, I'm not a big McHale guy. He's done a good job developing some guys (harden, parsons, smith, asik) and working on the fly with a decent amount of roster changes. But he has more than his fair share of head scratching moves.

Namely, why is Delfino closing games?

Yeah, he can space the floor because defenses have to respect his 3 point shot. This obviously helps out Harden who (due to McHale's iso loving ways at the end of close games) gets another option to drive and kick to.

Delfino is also a good FT shooter.

However, he offers nothing on the defensive end, or the offensive rebounding end. He's undersized to play post D, and is a marginal rebounder and obviously is not a shot alterer.

I understand that the other traditional options at the 4 at this point are DMo (probably not experienced enough to close games and questionable D) and TRob (again, not experienced enough to close games). Also neither DMo nor Trob can "stretch" the 4 spot offensively (at least not yet for DMo).

I feel having a bigger big like greg smith paired with Asik would be better. Asik because of his rebounding prowess and Smith, who provides a 4 who can finish PnR's and lob's better than Asik. Both offer size to clog lanes and provide help D as well as O and D rebounding.

Or move Delfino to the 3 and parson's to the 4 and instruct parsons to crash the boards hard.

Or Defino at the 3, harden at the point and parsons and an aforementioned big at the 4.

But to have any other combination of lineup that includes Carlos at PF seems to hinder our rebounding and interior D.

Two games that come to mind are the Spurs game last night, and the Bucks game a couple months back in Milwaukee. In the Spurs game, Tony Parker burned both Lin and Beverly. Had Greg Smith played the 4 instead of Delfino, perhaps that would've made TP second guess his penetration straight to the rim. In the Bucks game, I remember the Rockets had a chance to bring the game into OT, but couldn't secure a last second rebound.

Any thoughts?

PS. I know there has been some decent amount of discussion about this topic, esp in the Fire McHale thread, but I thinks it's important enough to warrant it's own thread.

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

3. rawool

rawool Member

Hahaha, I had this image in my head when I opened thread. Great minds... :grin:

4. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

You were and are wrong.

5. hustle_town

hustle_town Rookie

trying to make this a legit discussion, no trolling please. TY

6. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

lol i was just gonna post this

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

D-Mo couldn't defend without fouling, and TRob hurts you on offense. Playing Delfino last night against the Spurs small ball lineup was a no-brainier.

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The officials are also a lot less conservative when it comes to calling fouls on rookies.

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Because the coach wants to win games.

Small ball was our most effective lineup when Patterson and Morris were still on the team.

It is our second most effective lineup right now after the starters. When Dmo is in foul trouble/inconsistent/miss shots/being a rookie, small ball is an option to, you know, win the game.

1 person likes this.
  10. hustle_town

hustle_town Rookie

I already pointed out the potential ineffectiveness of TRob and DMo, but why not Smith at the 4?

Sure the Spurs went "small" ball, but I can live with Stephen Jackson's 27% 3-point shooting versus Duncan/Parker getting some pretty good looks while Harden is having to play on the block.

11. hustle_town

hustle_town Rookie

small ball is effective on offense for reasons I mentioned, but we already score 106 a game, maybe need to work on the other side of court.

12. just a word

just a word Member

say what you will about Delfino's defense, but at least he hits his rotations and can box out sometimes unless he get's horribly outmuscled. Sometimes he's just not tall enough, but that's better than being completely out of position on a regular basis.

13. moetherolla

moetherolla Member

T.Ro and Montie are not ready for prime time.

They make too many mistakes. They are young, it comes with growing.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Maybe because Smith is already a mistake-prone defensive player, and expecting him to defend pick-and-rolls and rotate to 3-point shooters is asking for trouble. And, additionally, maybe because having 2 front-court players on the floor who can't score outside of 5 feet from the basket or handle the ball is a REALLY bad idea.

15. quadsas

quadsas Rookie

actually, he almost never boxes out and loses his man wayyyyyyyy too often. he is often bailed out by teammates/opponents. for once, concentrate on delfino movement on defence and you'll see how bad is he

16. finsraider

finsraider Member

Easy......because he's reliable. At the end of a game, you want to cut out as many variables as you can. The only current players I trust to consistently make the right decisions at the end of a game are:

1) Harden
    2) Asik
    3) Delfino
    4) Beverly
    5) Parsons

It's no coincidence that these are the guys that generally get the most minutes in the 4th quarter. While Lin, TRob, DMo, and Smith may offer more upside....I don't trust them to not foul the shooter or not take the contested mid-range jumper.

17. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Agreed. Seems like Smith is a decent post defender, but has trouble sliding, switching, defending P&R. He is also tends to foul a lot

18. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I still get nervous whenever I see Delfino try to dribble to much. I like that he is comfortable in the offense, but he should tone it down a bit imo

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Delfino is underrated defensively. He's not great, but he's a smart player who knows basketball and players' tendencies. He's had good defensive moments in crucial one on one situations this season.

In other words, he knows what he is doing. Go figure, a savvy vet knows what to do and rookies don't. :p

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is a veteran. That gives him the edge for now.