1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is Bill Worrell so misinformed?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LandryFields, Oct 16, 2013.

1. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

The "number 1" pick thing bothers me a lot. Bill's complaining and homerism can also get irritating but other than that, I'm ok with him. Bull is also a homer but at least he makes sense for the most part. Clyde makes my ears bleed. He's absolutely one of the worst commentators out there. He has no idea what's happening on the court, and obviously makes no effort to follow other teams' players. I have no idea how someone so braindead could be such a good player.

I try to watch the opposing team's stream whenever possible. No matter how bad they are, you only have to put up with them for two hours a few times a year. And for the most part, they don't wear out their welcome, and it's nice to get different perspectives on what's happening with the teams and the league.

2. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Even though they do make factual errors, I love our commentators. They've been doing the games my whole life and it wouldn't feel right without them.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

No. He's wrong. In basketball, the number one pick is the number one pick. He is using baseball/football terminology in basketball. It has driven me crazy for years. It is a completely pointless thing to point out in basketball, because in basketball, the vast majority of players who stick in the league were taken in the first round. Why point out somebody is a first round pick if almost everybody is? And why make it sound more important by calling it a 'number one'?

In basketball, with only two rounds, it actually makes more sense to talk about players who are second round picks, as it's quite a feat for a second rounder to stick in the league. If you're going to talk about first round picks, you better be specific. But, unfortunately, Bill seems to be getting by with practically no specific knowledge these days. I love him, but he doesn't know much about basketball anymore. Clyde is even worse. And Bull drives me crazy with how angry he gets about bad calls and his blind homerism.

It sucks when you have people like Zach Lowe calling your announcers out for being misinformed homers. But that's where we're at and I doubt anything will change. Bill is here until he retires. And it looks like the Rockets are fine with Bull and Clyde.

Bring Calvin Murphy back. At least he's funny and he occasionally says something insightful.

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Apparently that's really hard for a lot of people. Who knew?

I've never even thought twice about the "#1 pick" comment. I think people are making something out of nothing, here. Basketball isn't a sacred sport that is soiled with terminology from other sports (not that I agree that this terminology is only for other sports... all the major sports have drafts.)

5. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

He meant the eastern conference championship team that were in the championship that year.

also, how do you not understand that a teams #1 pick is the player they take with their first pick?

Bill's a G...if you dont like him then you can
    GIT OUT!
    [​IMG]

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

But what is the point in even mentioning it if there is only a #1 pick and a #2 pick and almost none of the #2 picks even stick in the league? If you are on an NBA roster, it's a pretty safe bet you were SOMEBODIES '#1 pick'.

I suspect most of the people who aren't annoyed by this follow other sports. I don't. And it doesn't make sense in the context of basketball.

7. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I agree!

8. Joemambo

Joemambo Member

Why does this thread even exist?

Bill Worrel is amazing.

Have you ever heard the commentators from other teams? They can cure insomnia in no time. Tey have the supernatural ability to turn humans into zombies, without biting.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Liking Bill and thinking he's a bit too old for broadcasting are two different things. You can believe in both. Just as I love my grandmother, but I also don't believe she can still hold a job at her age.

10. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

HAHAAH so true brother!

11. conquistador#11

bill is one of the best.
    a bunch of cold blooded posters in this thread. you don't know the greatness of cornbread till he has left some crumbs on your mom! Wished the murph was with him,

12. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

I would add some different categories to that list... How about 1) home bias but respectful/friendly to the away team 2) bias but critical of the away team 3) bias but extremely critical of the away team 4) ridiculously home bias and almost hostile to the away team. I think our announcers fall into item number 1 of this list the vast majority of the time as do about 20% of the other commentators out there and those games are better to listen to. It's the groups that fall into item 4 that really drive me crazy.

The other issue is the time split talking about the home vs. the away team. Some teams are 99% home 1% away and they are so ill informed about the away team it amazes me. Our team are usually about 60/40 or so home vs. away discussion which is very respectful. I have yet to see a local broadcast that was truly even handed in probably 25 years of watching basketball.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

4 of the 5 players in the Rockets starting lineup in their first playoff game last season were not first round picks.

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

Calvin and Bill were so funny together, it did not really matter how bad they were.
    Clyde and Bill don't quite get to the same place.

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

We had the Quinn Bucker team for the Pacers games. He was pretty bad.
    Reminded me of what a knucklehead he was as a player.

16. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I do not see the OP states Bill is bad, it is about things that were misinformed. I feel embarrassing whenever he says the #1 pick for this team and that team because only one team can have #1 pick each year. I wonder why other people can not let him know this, this is a very basic knowledge in NBA.

17. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

"Number one draft choice" drives me crazy. BRING BACK CALVIN!

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The real question is - why are you listening to Bill Worrell at all? Focus on the game!

19. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Because he is talking unless you put the mute function on the TV, then you can not hear anything. Again, whole point is not something about Bill being bad, just some misinformation, Bill is still very good for his job.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member